Kaseya Community

Question about Patches Pending Approval

• Hello. I am a little confused about the number of patches listed as Pending Approval.

It seems that patches that I have already Approved in a patch policy, later show up as Pending Approval again. When this happens, the date displayed in the last column (named Changed) is always a recent date.

Does this mean that something has changed related to the patch (ie Kaseya changes a patch location or command line paramater)?

I am just confused and frustrated when I have all of the patches designated as Approved or Denied, and then a few days later when I check, there are 10-20 patches listed as Pending Approval again.

Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, can you shed any light on what is going on?

Thanks!

lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Question about Patches Pending Approval,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I have seen the same behavior here. When I look at the knowledge base articles for the reappearing patches the issues are from far past like 2003. I am still running 4.8.

Vernon Southmayd
    Creative Computing

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vernon@midmich.net
  • I think if you look at the Last Review date within the Microsoft KB article, you will find they are current review dates. I am not sure what is happening when they review these. Probably just some text change or or minor modifications within the article. It is a headache approving these patches to find they are back in pending approval sometime later.

Legacy Posted By Username: SteveR
  • Scratch that thought. I noticed some patches today show a changed date of yesterday but have a last reviewed date of a while back.

• SteveR
    I think if you look at the Last Review date within the Microsoft KB article, you will find they are current review dates. I am not sure what is happening when they review these. Probably just some text change or or minor modifications within the article. It is a headache approving these patches to find they are back in pending approval sometime later.

Is there any way to designate that, if a KB/patch was previously "approved", that it would remain "approved" if thre was a review/change by Microsoft?

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I think you can use the KB Override function under the Patch Policy area. It will override the default approval status by KB article number. The VSA guide offers a good example:

"For example, KB890830, "The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" is released monthly. If you decide to approve all patches associated with this KB Article using KB Override, then not only are existing patches approved but all new patches associated with this KB article are automatically approved each month the new patch is released."

• I agree with SteveR, this should work.

I have opened a ticket with Kaseya before about this and was told they do not filter any new patches from Microsoft. This means it is probably a good idea to have someone checking pending patches on a weekly basis.

Legacy Posted By Username: jwhitford