Kaseya Community

Initial Update function of Patch Management

• Does anyone rely on the Initial Update tool to bring new clients' workstations up to date?

I've been trying this method and have had no luck. It consistently gets stuck at processing. Sometimes a few patches get installed and it reboots before getting stuck. Sometimes now. I've waited long enough to confirm it is in fact stuck.

I started trying them individually, thinking that the sheer volume of file downloads might be overwhelming, but still no luck.

I've confirmed always-on power management, user logged in, no interaction, etc al.... and I still find it stuck.

Any ideas?

Legacy Forum Name: Initial Update function of Patch Management,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis
  • i use it all the time but find it works best when the file source is first configured

if you interrupt if halfway through it does break sometimes though

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tbone2345
  • We rarely have good luck with Initial Update, finding that it always gets stuck like nevesis has said. I opened a ticket with support and was told that if anything interrupts the process (temp directory gets cleared, other scripts, VSA offline for a minute or two, etc.) then the process stalls. We were told to use the Automatic Update feature. I have not tested this, but it might be a better option. For now, we're just deploying manually and going through as many rounds of patching as that takes until the PC is up to date.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • It used to work, in 4.8. Now I rarely use it ...

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Automatic update seems to work like a charm. It reboots, rescans, but will not install the new wave of patches discovered by the scan.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx