Kaseya Community

WinVNC4: error:unable to launch process: The parameter is incorrect.

• Ive installed the kvnc client onto all servers. On one server (win2k3rc2sp2), I have over 200000 of these error messages. Event ID 1. Ive uninstalled and preinstalled the kvnc client. Ive tried restarting VNC servicdes. The error still occurs. No other versions of VNC were ever installed on this machine.

The full error is: WinVNC4: error:unable to launch process: The parameter is incorrect. (87) [session 3, state 1]

How do I fix this?

M

Legacy Forum Name: WinVNC4: error:unable to launch process: The parameter is incorrect.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mariaworld
  • We experienced this same issue on several SBS2003 servers. Kaseya support said the ticket was escalated to dev, that's the last we heard. The only fix I've found is to switch the type of VNC in use (this bug seems to be tied to KVNC, not WinVNC). In the Remote Cntl tab, click on Select Type. Select WinVNC in the dropdown, select the check box next to your server, and click the Select button.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Thanks. I reinstalled the kvnc service, then I also unregistered and re-registerd the service. Reregistering the service stopped the errors from occurring, but I cannot vnc the machine. Ill switch over to the non-Kaseya vnc client, and see if that works. Whats annoying is that I have about 9 other servers with the same win2k3rc2sp3 install and they dont have tihs problem. The problem machine is a simple file/print server that isnt running any 3rd party apps, so... its strange.

Legacy Posted By Username: mariaworld
  • I had a similar problem on only two servers.
    They would pump out about 2700 of these errors to the App Log per second.

We previously had TightVNC installed on one of these machines and this was removed via "Add Remove Programs" but I was still getting a lot of errors.

It seems we had tried to remote control these machines under Kaseya using WinVNC and this WinVNC installation did NOT appear in "Add Remove Programs"

Although no VNC programs showed in Add/Remove. We did actually still have a VNC program running.

For me, my fix was:
    Remove all VNC instances in Add/Remove Programs
    In Kaseya, Configure the Type of Remote Control to WinVNC
    Select Uninstall RC - To uninstall WinVNC
    After successful uninstall of WinVNC Configure the Type to KVNC
    Select Uninstall RC - To remove KVNC.
    Select Preinstall RC - To install fresh version of KVNC

I can now get Remote Control access via KVNC without having thousands of error messages in the App Log.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Thanks Garry, this fix worked for me too. This has been a very annoying problem for me with a couple of machines, and tech support told me they were baffled and literally said they had given up.

Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M