Kaseya Community

KServer and SQL server - Best practice.

• Hi everyone,

Currently we get pretty poor performance out of our KServer. It's a pretty badly specced machine and we're only managing around 1300 seats.

In order to increase performance, I was contemplating changing our current setup of 1 machine has both SQL and the KServer on it to seperate machines for both.

What is the best practice when it comes to the setup of the SQL and KServer? Seperate machines for each?

Cheers,

Legacy Forum Name: KServer and SQL server - Best practice.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • I recommend logging into the empower training portal and look for the TechJam that is "Server Performance Management" TechJam under SPTJ100. There is some excellent data in there that shows exactly what you need for whatever # of agents you want to support.

Configured "correctly" you should be able to support that many machines on a single box.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • I currently have around 1600 Machines (close enough to you) and I am in the middle of moving my K server to a new machine I just bought. Here's how I spec'd it:

• Dell PE 2950
    • 2.0 QC Processor (2 of them!)
    • 16 GB RAM
    • 6 - 146GB HDs (15K)
    • dual Gbit NICs
    • Windows 2003 64-bit (K doesn't support 2008 yet!)
    • Redundant power supply

I expect this machine to handle my K environment for up to 2500 machines over the next 3 yrs.

FYI - I also use the KES & BUDR modules.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Your machine is FAR more powerful than the one we're currently running.

CPU: (2) 3065 MHz Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz, Model 2 Stepping 9
    RAM: 4GB
    80GB HDD (10k)
    Single Gbit NIC
    Windows 2003, unsure if its 64 bit.

We're running both SQL and KServer on this, no wonder its performing so badly eh? Stick out tongue

• We recently did just what your describing.

We moved our Kaseya server from a Kaseya and SQL express on a single machine (Dell PE2600 Xeon 3.0Ghz, 4GB Ram).

To a server (as described above) for each, one for Kaseya and one for SQL.

Do be aware that this service call took well over 13 hours for a kaseya rep to complete the entire move. And I would be SURE to have a complete system backup and complete a database backup right before attempting.

In the end, kaseya removed the entire product on the kaseya server and reinstalled it, due to difficulties connecting to the new SQL database (he said it was a permissions problem).

Since then, 2 times in one week my event logs have stopped being processed. This morning I noticed i have not gotten any alerts in several hours and for the second time my "pending alerts" was up to 189,645 alerts. Needless to say thats a problem, and kaseya is still working on it since I logged the call yesterday night.

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • So, a show of hands here would be appreciated, how many people run SQL and KServer on the same box?

• I do... mind you I made sure my server has fast drives (SAS 15K) and fast bus/proc/ram! Also, based on what I've seen once you start cracking 3000 agents you probably should break out the SQL Server to its own server (make sure you have Gbit connecting both servers if you do).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I do, but I only have 500 clients right now.

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • If you are running both on the same box, be aware if you are runnign SQL express, i was told you can't have a database any larger than 4GB.

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB