Kaseya Community

How many Agents can a server support?

• Is there a limit on the number of agents that a server can monitor, or would it just depend on the capacity of the server (processor, memory, etc)?
    I was trying to figure out what is the better way if I have to monitor about 3000 agents, but connecting to the same server, or at least logically (list of all users in the same console) to the same server.

Thanks
    Sandeep

Legacy Forum Name: How many Agents can a server support?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sandeep@affinity-networks
  • I believe it is going to be resource dependent. We have been working with their developers heavily to test K2008 SP1 and they have mentioned systems they have in Europe that have 10-15K agents on them each, and several folks on the forums have mentioned having 3-5K. The main thing to be careful of is your SQL and disk IO. They have made some dramatic improvements in SP1 but anything at or above 3K agents with any planned growth I would say you should be looking at a dedicated SQL server with plenty of RAM (6-8GB) and as many fast disk spindles as you can get on it. We currently run ~1700 agents with a local SQL with 8GB RAM and the disk is an iSCSI LUN off our NetApp SAN with 7 x 15K SAS spindles on this aggregate and we seem to be running very smoothly now. Much of the demand is also based on how detailed your monitoring is as well. I hope this helps.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jilderton
  • That was very helpful. Could you also please provide me what server configuration would be good, if I am anticipating to install 3K to 4K agents?
    Thanks in advance,
    Sandeep

• I'd recommend having 2 servers (1 for SQL, the other for Kaseya). Make sure to have Gbit connections between them (hell team the Gbit NICs if you can!). Get 15K SAS drives (in a RAID 5). Quad Core Procs and as much Memory as you can throw at your SQL server. (With this product the SQL server is the real work horse). Config them like this and you should move prety fast.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Contact Kaseya and ask them for the spreadsheet that has the breakdown of their recommended configs. They showed it to us in a recent techjam. Might even be in the forum somewhere.

Watch here: http://forum.kaseya.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • This isn't as cool of a breakdown and discussion, but some info here: http://www.kaseya.com/support/system-requirements.php

• Should we installl SQL Server 2005 Standard edition, or will express editon that comes with Kaseya server would be sufficient?

• For 3000 agents, I would not be considering SQL Express. You should speak with Kaseya support.

• We are running 2008 SP1 and our DB per agent is now sitting around 12MB, so multiple that by 3000 and you get well over the 3GB SQL 2005 Express limit, not to mention the performance and tuning you would need for this size DB.

Legacy Posted By Username: jilderton
  • We have around 2500 agents and we saw substantual performance and reliability improvements going from 4GB to 12GB of RAM. (64 bit platform running both Kaseya and SQL). Before we upgraded the RAM we were having to reboot the server almost daily.

RAM is much cheaper than downtime so don't scrimp at the outset.

Legacy Posted By Username: nviner
  • Basing on all of the suggestions I have received, I am planning to use 2 servers, one for Kaseya and one for SQL.

Kaseya Server: IBM system x3550; Intel 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon, 4GB of RAM, 2X160 GB SATA HDDs (in RAID 1 config) Windows Server 2003/2008 Enterprise

SQL Server: IBM system x3550; Intel 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon Processor, 8GB of RAM. 2X160 GB SATA HDDs (in RAID 1 config), Windows Standard Server 2003, Microsoft SQL 2005 Standard edition

Both the servers having GB NIC card built-in. Both of them connected to Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall.

How does this configuration look like, to support approx. 4000 agents?

• Have you spoken with Kaseya about your server requirements?

I don't mean to be disrespectful here, but it sounds like you are lacking some necessary understanding about scaling your server.

IOPS are going to be your bottleneck. Moving to dual servers but keeping SATA drives may be a serious issue. I suspect you will get better performance from a single box with 6x 73GB 15K RPM SCSI drives configured in 3x RAID 1 (perhaps with multiple controllers). 1 array for OS and web server partition, 1 array for DB, and 1 for tempdb & logs.

Don't forget to use Server x64 edition for extra memory.

You really need to get in-touch with Kaseya and ask for the TechJam document that discusses server sizing. If they won't send you the doc, then you can login to the emPower training and find the Server Performance Management TechJam under SPTJ100.

• We use a x3650 rather than the x3550. Its an extra U (2 instead of 1) but it can take 8 disks. We use 2 mirrored for the OS, 2 mirrored for transaction logs and 4 RAID 5 for the database. 2 dual core processors. Seems to work well enough at least to the extent that memory was always the bottleneck.

At the moment SQL is using 9.4GB of RAM while CPU and disk utilization is not too high.

Putting just 2 disks in a database server is going to be a major bottleneck.

But again give kaseya a ring and get the advise of one of their consultants.

Legacy Posted By Username: nviner