Kaseya Community

VISTA - strange agent install behaviour

• Hey all,

Ive been trying to install the agent on a clients Vista machine (pre sp1) & for some reason the machine is showing up in the unnamed group but isnt checking in. Its icon is the standard red with white flag, no scripts are being run on it & there is nothing in the agent logs.

If i delete it from the server using 'Delete account now without uninstalling the agent' it goes temporarily but comes back only to get stuck again in the aforementioned state.

ive turned off the firewall on the clients local machine & i am able to telnet to our server on the correct port without any problems. ive also tried installing the agent multiple times & im running it as an administrator.

has anyone else experienced anything like this before? cheers for any help in advance

Legacy Forum Name: VISTA - strange agent install behaviour,
    Legacy Posted By Username: james@williswhite.co.nz
  • More than likely you are running UAC and it is blocking it. You'll need to allow the app in UAC, or disable UAC entirely.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • i installed the agent from an administrator account & also used 'run as administrator'. shouldnt that bypass the UAC?

• you'd think so wouldn't you? Try turning of UAC and see what happens.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • ok ive tried disabling the UAC, rebooting & installing a blank/default agent & still various Vista machines continue their strange behaviour.

Has anyone else been able to find a sure fire way of installing the agent on vista machines?

Is anyone else sharing my problem?

• We have Kaseya installed on a number of Vista clients, x86 and x64 and are not experiencing this problem - sorry, I know that's not much help.

Legacy Posted By Username: jbellflowers
  • Some sort of 3rd party firewall or security application?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • if you see the following symptom, then your problem is functionally equivalent to one i've had.

Open your kaseyad.ini file and scroll down... if it looks "normal" than your problem is different. However, if your kaseyad.ini at some point stops being normal and starts just repeating the same string over and over again, and grows out of control as long as the agent is "running", it's one I've seen.

The fix for that problem is to install the "default agent" with a command line like
    kcssetup -r -w -s
    This will reinstall the agent even if it's installed, overwrite any existing agent with the settings in the package you're installing, and do it all silently.

Check our your kaseyad.ini and let me know if you're seeing the same problem.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • *update for future reference*

Ive managed to get Kaseya installed successfully on a couple of vista machines failed previously by updating them to sp1 & disabling the UAC + firewall. Followed by installing from a blank template.

I will repost should the steps taken above fail in later cases but heres hoping it wont be necessary.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread so far Smile

Matthew:
    No i didnt see the kaseyad.ini issue you mentioned.