Kaseya Community

Test/Virtual Servers are ILLEGAL

• That's right. If you read your license agreement located under the System tab you will see that you are only allowed one copy of Kserver on one server.

There goes my web farm and test/development server.

I guess this means every update Kaseya puts out better be correct since I can only test it on my production server.

Legacy Forum Name: Test/Virtual Servers are ILLEGAL,
    Legacy Posted By Username: theodis
  • Support had me setup a test server and I did not give it Internet access at first to avoid breaking my licensing but they told me to open it up that their licensing system would allow 2 active servers for this purpose. That's where my K2008 system is now after 1 unsuccesful production upgrade that was manually rolled back then 2 failed test upgrades. It is CRITICAL that this system either have clustering capabilties to cover for this situation or that we be allowed to run a second instance live for testing.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jilderton
  • theodis
    If you read your license agreement located under the System tab you will see that you are only allowed one copy of Kserver on one server.

Someone ought to tell that to the rep who told us we should have tested the 2008 upgrade on different hardware before rolling our production box.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • But since when have license agreements anything to do with the real world? For fun I have read some agreements and many of them are not worth the bytes they take of my hard drive.

I have not heard of any license agreement been tested in court.

Legacy Posted By Username: Kalle
  • Clustering.... AH now theres a thought.

I have been asking for redundancy in the system for a long time.
    Supposedly, way back in the day, Kaseya had this.
    I was actually sold on Kaseya for the sole fact that I could have failsafe rollover, load balancing, etc.....

Of course... sigh, well you know the rest of the story.

Regarding test servers.... I suggest you talk to your rep about it... and press him/her on the issue real hard if you want one.

Legacy Posted By Username: gamer-x
  • I would _LOVE_ clustering but instead have opted to go the route of "neat more bandwidth is also fun" so I definitely concur on the clustering comment but can also make do without for now.

I think all of us have been sold on something that was rumored to do more than it did. That's unfortunately sales for you and a necessary evil sometimes. If i wasn't overpromised on some of the things i've bought i'd probably be worse off. My hook was customizable ticketing notifications which I'm still waiting on, but even with the lack of that, Kaseya has delivered in so many more ways than ever imaginable before that has made it worth being without customizable notifications this long.

I also agree that license agreements are for the birds WHEN it comes to testing a major revision upgrade. Now if you were deploying a second PRODUCTION server, and utilizing it in a live production environment just to get double your coverage for one price i could see a lawsuit, but come on, that would be like microsoft suing you for licensing because you built a test environment in order to evaluate the process to migrate from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003. Find me an article of someone getting sued over that and I will take my comment back, but using a license agreement as reason to not test an upgrade is fooey.

Legacy Posted By Username: tsorensen@group1auto.com
  • tsorensen@group1auto.com

but come on, that would be like microsoft suing you for licensing because you built a test environment in order to evaluate the process to migrate from exchange 2000 to exchange 2003. Find me an article of someone getting sued over that and I will take my comment back, but using a license agreement as reason to not test an upgrade is fooey.

Microsoft has 180 evaluation trials (available for download on the web) for most if not all of it's products. They even let you run like 8 or more virtual servers for no charge (windows 2003).

Legacy Posted By Username: theodis