Kaseya Community

Network access protection results in broken TCP/IP stack

• I resolved this problem but wanted to share the details in case it helps someone else:
    Resolved by running "netsh winsock reset" in command line.
    Also sent the network access protection disable command.
    Computer connects fine now, and next time I test the network access driver I will do it on a test machine...

product_type = Managed Services Edition
    component = Kaseya Agent
    version = 5.0
    operating_system = Windows XP Pro
    service_pack = 2
    serious = Installation problem
    problem_description = I am testing the Kaseya network access driver. I sent the "enable Network Protection agent" command from the server to my laptop, and it seems to have run fine.
    setting: Approve All Unlisted
    As soon as I subsequently rebooted all my network connections are failing. I can't even seem to get an IP.
    Can I manually uninstall agent locally? -remember I cannot connect to any network since TCPIP is broken, so this would have to be strictly local, or an executable copied from physical media.

new error messages found listed below:

"TCP/IP transport not installed" pops up on boot.

system log entry:
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1006
    "Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 07:30:35 23-Apr-08
    for the Network Card with the network address xxxxxxxxx. The following error occurred during configuration: The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized."

"tcsd_win32.exe encountered a problem and needed to close" pops up on boot also.
    Faulting application tcsd_win32.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0012e858.

in device manager "Crypto" device shows itself as disabled or malfunctioning
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    The Crypto service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Legacy Forum Name: Network access protection results in broken TCP/IP stack,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mfriesen
  • The "network protection" driver is the one piece of Kaseya that we avoid like the plague. After numerous TCP/IP stack conflicts with various software at various customers, we simply decided that the benefits it provides are not worth the headaches. We almost lost two customers over the problems it caused a year or so ago.

There have been many similar stories over the years. Kaseya will claim that the driver follows all the Windows standard API calls and that it only fails if/when another driver or application doesn't "follow the rules" set by the Microsoft API. I don't have any reason to doubt their claim. But it doesn't change the fact that lots of drivers and applications don't follow the rules and we just can't take the chance with something as critical as network connectivity for our customers.

I wish that the functionality it offers was available without such problems. But such is life...

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • thanks for the heads up. i don't trust 3rd party unsigned drivers from unreliable providers Wink

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: theodis