Kaseya Community

Extremely High Memory and CPU usage in SQL after 2008 upgrade

• Hi,

As requested i am posting a new thread to ask why I am seeing 90-98% cpu usage and very high and constantly changing memory usage on the sqlservr.exe process after upgrading to Kaseya 2008.

Anyone got any info on this or a solution?

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Extremely High Memory and CPU usage in SQL after 2008 upgrade,
    Legacy Posted By Username: KRiSX
  • We are also having the same issues, especially with the size of the database. We upgraded to 2008 from 4.8 and our database was 1.17Gb, now we are running at 19Gb and climing.

I have escalated this through the support channels at Kaseya who are now working with development to try and determine the cause of the issue.

Andy

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: AndyMoore
  • We are seeing it too.

I was wondering if it was because of all the open alerts from agent monitoring (can't delete them as of 5.0).

Legacy Posted By Username: vchurch
  • Our disk usage has gone down a bit (freed up some space since the upgrade). Memory has been about the same.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • We have seen spikes in the SQL CPU since the update. When the Kserver does spike we will sometimes see that all of our agents go yellow, eventhough the agents on the clients desktop stays green, after a couple of minutes the agents on our end go green again. We are still trying to figure it out.

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • Wow, 1.7GB to 19GB.

That reminds me when I upgraded Microsoft FRx and it ended up logging its logging. Like a logging loop.

Legacy Posted By Username: desaille
  • Mine has shrunk as well. From about 3.25 meg per machine to 2.6 meg.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonb
  • Same thing happened here after upgrading. For me the problem was massive amounts of logs coming in to the tune of 200k + per hour. Check out System > Statistics and see if this is the culprit. Then head over to Agent > Event Log Settings to adjust. This also quickly blew up my poor SQL express 4gb limit and I've since had fun moving to SQL standard (yeah yeah i know should have done this sooner).

Anyhow, after a backup restore and tuning up the log settings all is well here Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: pbielkiewicz
  • pbielkiewicz
    Same thing happened here after upgrading. For me the problem was massive amounts of logs coming in to the tune of 200k + per hour. Check out System > Statistics and see if this is the culprit. Then head over to Agent > Event Log Settings to adjust. This also quickly blew up my poor SQL express 4gb limit and I've since had fun moving to SQL standard (yeah yeah i know should have done this sooner).

Exactly the same here. After the upgrade we had VNC generating a quarter million alerts each hour from one PC. Check the statistics page like pbielkiewicz said. If you see several thousand pending alerts, clear them, and use the "Peak machines generating event logs last hour" check button to see where they're coming from. Resolve the issue (for us it required a reinstall of the agent and VNC), reboot your Kaseya server, and you should be OK.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • arobar
    Exactly the same here. After the upgrade we had VNC generating a quarter million alerts each hour from one PC. Check the statistics page like pbielkiewicz said. If you see several thousand pending alerts, clear them, and use the "Peak machines generating event logs last hour" check button to see where they're coming from. Resolve the issue (for us it required a reinstall of the agent and VNC), reboot your Kaseya server, and you should be OK.

could be on to something here... just checking the statistics...

Pending Alerts 667171 and it seems to vary/hover around that number

EDIT: just hit clear and i'm checking the peak machines... one is over 200 and another is over 300... it seems that my cpu usage dropped breifly.. but it is climbing again... and the database sized nearly doubled

• KRiSX
    Pending Alerts 667171 and it seems to vary/hover around that number

OK, clear those out using the "clear" button.

Then use the "check" button on the same page to see which machine(s) are generating so many bloody alerts. Login to those machines and check their event logs. If it's the same thing we saw, it'll just be pages upon pages of WinVNC alerts.

Use Kaseya to issue a VNC uninstall.

Use Add/Remote in the client's Control Panel to remove the Kaseya agent.

Re-install the agent.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • arobar
    OK, clear those out using the "clear" button.

Then use the "check" button on the same page to see which machine(s) are generating so many bloody alerts. Login to those machines and check their event logs. If it's the same thing we saw, it'll just be pages upon pages of WinVNC alerts.

Use Kaseya to issue a VNC uninstall.

Use Add/Remote in the client's Control Panel to remove the Kaseya agent.

Re-install the agent.

one of them doesn't even have VNC installed... and the other i'm fairly sure doesn't... so i think that rules that out...

i believe that one of the kaseya tech's has logged into our system... i'm waiting to hear back on what they found

• The problem appears to be Kaseya 2008 is not respecting the "log history" settings. I have just verified this by settings my log history to 7 days for all the logs. Even after two days I still see log entries for all the way back to February. Sad

Kaseya KB# 283048 talks about this problem so I will be dropping the table mentioned in the knowledge base article and dropping my event log history to 1 day to see if Kaseya 2008 cleans up the older events correctly.

Legacy Posted By Username: Chris T
  • Please refer to KB Article 283554

The link is:

http://www.kaseya.com/support/kaseya_kb.php

Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • The hotfix is still not cleaning up the any of the existing logs (event, agent, RC, etc..).I still have event log entries from January 24th even though my event log history settings are set to 7 days…… Something is missing from the log cleanup procedure still and the hotfix did not fix it since after following the KB article 283554, my Kaseya server is still not cleaning up the existing the logs.

Legacy Posted By Username: Chris T