Kaseya Community

Event Sets Not Logging or Alarming Since 2008

• Since upgrading to 2008 no events are logging or alarming. Every single client we have lists the following in it's individual "Agent Log". There must be a problem with the alertSet.xml that is being sent out to the the agents/clients.

I have submitted a ticket to Kaseya which has been sent to development, but would like others having this issue to post if you are having it or have found a fix/workaround.

***Agent Event Log***

4:29:43 pm 18-Mar-08 ERROR: InitEventLogProcess() failed to load log parser definition "C:\temp\KLogConfig\alertSet.xml" [code: -3].
    4:29:43 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:28:42 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:27:42 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:26:41 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:25:41 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:24:40 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:23:40 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:22:39 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:21:39 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.
    4:20:38 pm 18-Mar-08 Could not parse event log configuration file.

Legacy Forum Name: Event Sets Not Logging or Alarming Since 2008,
    Legacy Posted By Username: scott.wilmesmeier
  • NEW REVELATION!! EVENT SETS ERRORS ONLY WITH SERVER OS (Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Server)
    XP and Vista do not get these errors...

When I open the alertSet.xml file on a server client it displays the following (on Vista or XP the XML opens fine, could this be only a problem with an event I have set for my servers?):

The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required white space was missing. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/TEMP/kLogConfig/alertSet.xml'. Line 69, Position 1...

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
  • Did you update the agents on these machines?

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Yes, all agents are at 5.0.0.0. Latest Hotfixes are installed and the schema has been reapplied.

Also, per other threads I know at least two others are having the same problem of Events Sets not creating alarms and the "Could not parse..."

• scott.wilmesmeier
    Yes, all agents are at 5.0.0.0. Latest Hotfixes are installed and the schema has been reapplied.

Also, per other threads I know at least two others are having the same problem of Events Sets not creating alarms and the "Could not parse..."

Some of my event sets are creating alarms and some not, random.
    For example, last event for BackupExec is logged day before upgrade and i did not receive any events from upgrade on.
    But some event sets are creating alarms.

Legacy Posted By Username: rudi
  • rudi
    Some of my event sets are creating alarms and some not, random.
    For example, last event for BackupExec is logged day before upgrade and i did not receive any events from upgrade on.
    But some event sets are creating alarms.

We are getting alarms for some things also (offline, disk space, and some others) but not from events. Are you getting alarms from specific event IDs from servers?

• The cause of this issue has been found and we will release a hotfix later today to address it.

Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • kaseya
    The cause of this issue has been found and we will release a hotfix later today to address it.

Sounds good, I remain hopeful!! Support also sent me the following message:

We found that an attribute is not set correctly when event set is migrated from 4.8 to 5.0. Reapply the event sets will fix the problem. We are working on the solution to remedy the problem automatically. We will notify you when the hotfix is ready. Sorry about the inconvenience.

• A hotfix was released and so far appears to have fixed my problem with Event Sets not logging/"Could not parse" errors. But I STILL GET NO ALERTS/ALARMS generated. So still worthless and SLAs are going down the tubes... I do appreciate Kaseya's help in fixing that part but I need these events to generate ALARMS ASAP!

If anybody else is haveing a similar issue or has been able to resolve this please let me know! Thanks!

• scott.wilmesmeier
    A hotfix was released and so far appears to have fixed my problem with Event Sets not logging/"Could not parse" errors. But I STILL GET NO ALERTS/ALARMS generated. So still worthless and SLAs are going down the tubes... I do appreciate Kaseya's help in fixing that part but I need these events to generate ALARMS ASAP!

If anybody else is haveing a similar issue or has been able to resolve this please let me know! Thanks!

Same here. I applied all hotfixes and reapplied schema. I even set a mini event set for one computer with just has source WSH event id 1 and wrote a small program to generate the alerts on the host machine. The #agenttemp#\kLogConfig folder gets updated and the event eventually gets to the nteventlog table but never generates an alarm. Tested with new agents and upgraded agents.

Legacy Posted By Username: hsamayoa
  • Please understand that we are still in the BETA TEST period. Going forward, just so everyone knows, the term FULL PRODUCT RELEASE now means Beta Test. The term SLA means Seriously Lame Application. The word Backup means that you are back up since a crash, not that you are actually safeguarding data for a client that pays you to do that. Reporting now means ODBC error. Alerting and Monitoring are when your client calls you screaming that they are down and you didn't know. Deployment means "Machine not found". Hotfixing means swapping out a file for another one and never renaming it to its original file name. And of course the process of Upgrading means that you are replacing files in an application that was working with files that no longer work.

Maybe we need a dictionary forum on here? Nobody seems to know what words mean anymore!! We are offering a Kaseya English course if anybody wants to sign up. Mad

Legacy Posted By Username: elehman@computronixusa.com
  • Listen - i love you guys at Kaseya and i know i'll get flack for saying the above, but you need to test things before you deploy them!!! I will be the first to volunteer to be a guinea pig because I BELIEVE IN and TRUST Kaseya and their development team!!!! You just can't release something that works worse than the Beta did.

So let me reiterate - I LOVE Kaseya. I will NEVER stop using it. It is the BEST MSP platform on the market. My business has never been as good since i've been using Kaseya. I APPLAUD you all for your efforts - 774 hotfixes in 7 days is NOT a small feat. I will jump on a new release and install it in production without testing it because I BELIEVE IN YOU!!! Just PLEASE PLEASE listen to your existing customers!

When the full release was posted and the support phone began to ring off the hook, it should have been immediately retracted and put back in Beta for another week or two. By leaving it out there and available, it makes the problem WORSE. In addition, allow customers like myself TEST IT FIRST - in a production environment - before letting it out as a full release.

Understand too that my comments were PURE SARCASM and NOT to be taken personally. I respect the work that you do - you have a tremendous product - just do it more carefully and listen to the clients in the field that use it in production before releasing something. There would be a lot less unhappy smiley faces on here if you did! Stick out tongue

Legacy Posted By Username: elehman@computronixusa.com
  • Here Here!
    I second that.

I've seen too many companies go down the tubes, not because their idea was bad, but because they couldn't deliver on their idea. Directly related to poor product management and failure to listen to the clients.

Kaseya, we do love your idea and we bank on it. BUT!! :

1. Stop being an engineering based company and start listening to the client.
    2. Establish a proper beta program.
    3. Work closely and communicate with your clients.
    4. Figure out a way for people to run side-by-side with major releases.
    5. Start working with a serious object-oriented development tool and kick the script-kiddies to the curb.
    6. Start using Unit testing for your development.
    7. Keep up with it and make a serious plan to keep up with it all.
    8. Don't let it go to your head.

The idea and execution of MSP is a great thing, but don't kid yourself that there are not other's out there that will do all the above things and fly past you.

And I wonder if this is even seen.

Legacy Posted By Username: rhayes@expertnetsolutions.com
  • This has been fixed. Apparently by a hotfix. I see that 117 hotfixes were applied (or possibly re-applied) Friday night and I am now getting alerts from events. Unless Kaseya connected to my server for the open ticket I had as it is now closed but no time was added to it by Kaseya that I can see.

So Thanks for fixing this Kaseya! Good job. Just somewhat aggrivating that it took over a week to resolve...

• It's working for us too. We're getting alerts, we're getting e-mails, we're almost back up and running again Smile At least in its current state, the information is available to us even if we're still having issues with reports.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen