Kaseya Community

First deployment - now my client's network is slow...

• I recently did my first official deployment to a client who has 13 machines and a Windows SBS server. Installed the Kaseya agent on all of the desktops (not the server) and made sure that ZoneAlarm was allowing all of the Kaseya items were able access the network. The only scripts I am doing a this point is the audit @ 8:00pm and a patch scan @ 7:00pm and the check in control is set @ 5 minutes.

My client called and said that since we did the install things on the network have been slower. For example, opening an email from the Exchange server used to take about 1 second now is taking 5-7 seconds.

Looked into the memory usage and CPU usage on several of the machines earlier today and everything looked perfect!

I searched the archives and the new posts and couldn't find anything.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on and/or might be able to provide a suggestion at what I should be looking at?

Thanks,
    Brian

Legacy Forum Name: First deployment - now my client's network is slow...,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Brian
  • Did you enable the network access driver (under the Audit tab) for collecting network usage statistics?

That feature has often caused problems and we don't enable it for that reason.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: misolutions.com
  • dgolden,

Just verified that it is NOT installed. Thanks for the quick feedback!!

Brian

• I have always had issues in the past with ZA. Not ZA and Kaseya but ZA and other Apps none the less. If they have a hardware firewall in place I would try disabling ZA for the time being to see if you gain some performance back. I have Kaseya deployed on over 60 machines, and we have no issues with network slowdowns. Kaseya should not effect how a computer communicates with the exchange server or the rest of the network in any way. To rule that out you can change the check in interval from every 30 seconds to every 60. The agent check-in is such a small amount of Data that I doubt it will help.

Another thing you may try is unchecking cached mode in the account setup in outlook.

If all else fails try to upgrade them from a 100mbps switch to a 1000mbps. I find that network slowdowns are usually caused from hardware and not software. Maybe they have a couple of soho switches daisy chained together or something.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris.c
  • Chris, thanks for the ideas...

We did some network sniffing and found out that about 50% of their network utilization is being used up by what looks to be what I might call unassociated traffic (meaning we can't tell what it is). It isn't IP traffic though. So we are going to be going onsite this evening to power off all the devices while doing some network monitoring to see what might be going on.

Thinking it could be a rogue device OR a bad network card that is chattering. I'll be sure to update the post once we figure out what is going on.

Thanks,
    Brian

• I've had that happen before. It turned out that someone plugged in a CAT 5 cable from one port on a switch to another port on the same switch. Caused a massive broadcast storm.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris.c
  • Discovered that it was two misconfigured print servers -- both broadcasting AppleTalk packets like you wouldn't believe. Disabled AppleTalk on one of the print servers and the other (Netgear CAT5 -> Parallel) "doesn't support AppleTalk" but it sure was spewing packets.

Network is quiet -- now we wait until Monday to hear from users in an actual usage scenario. Thanks!

Brian

• Hey Brian what tool did you use to determine that 50% of the usage was non IP Based. Ethereal?

Legacy Posted By Username: richie3333