Kaseya Community

Using VSA on Linux Laptops

This question is answered

I have been asked to investigate using Kaseya VSA to manage and monitor Linux Laptops.  They would most likely be Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.  I am wondering if anybody is having luck using Kaseya to do this.  The major requirement would be ensuring systems are patched and having the ability to perform adequate compliance reporting.

Verified Answer
  • I had an interesting conversation with Kaseya - I asked them when they were going to develop the Linux agent more so it was more reliable and useful, as they hadn't done anything with it for years and years.  They told me that "they hadn't done much with it because hardly anyone was using it".  I pointed out that maybe that was the case because the agent was so lacking.  They said "Oh".  

• Hey guys,

I would like to provide an update on this:

We are close to finalizing the first development phase of our new 64bit Kaseya agent as I compose this message.  

This new Kaseya agent is meant to support macOS (Catalina as well), Microsoft Windows, and Linux operating systems respectively.  

All Replies
  • We install Kaseya on Ubuntu servers, some headless some not, and I can tell you that it is not capable of scanning for needed updates or patching.  I cannot speak to compliance reporting, hopefully someone else can expand.

• Thank you

What is the biggest benefit for you of having VSA on your Ubuntu servers?

• I'm a MSP VSA user since 2007, we used agents on RedHat & CentOS servers at first.

On 2011 we start to handle 2 dozens of Workstations, with RC over VNC and such as regular Windows agents.

With each new version of VSA we loose some feature. At the point that we don't have not even hardware inventory (no manufacturer, model, serial no. etc.).

At this time we only know that we have that agent so the count of managed devices for each client its more precise.

In the general Linux case, it's very unreliable becoming on/off line several times a day.

The only feature that is still valuable is to create/recover root/admin user&pass for those agents.

Kaseya is promising to start a revamping of linux agents for quite some time, but not in the foreseeable feature.

It could be that after launching a 64 bit agent for Apple's Catalina, with some luck, a more usable Linux agent will follow.

• I haven't experienced the on/off unreliability Jose speaks of, but yes, local account management, network monitoring and machine resource monitoring are the primary features I use with Linux servers.  Agent Procedures running on the bash shell is also an option.

• I had an interesting conversation with Kaseya - I asked them when they were going to develop the Linux agent more so it was more reliable and useful, as they hadn't done anything with it for years and years.  They told me that "they hadn't done much with it because hardly anyone was using it".  I pointed out that maybe that was the case because the agent was so lacking.  They said "Oh".  

• I guess from the MSP perspective it makes sense.  Windows and Mac dominate the workplace.  However, not all Kaseya customers are MSPs, and data centers are  becoming dominated by Linux servers, so I hope Kaseya will increase Linux functionality in the future.

• Hey guys,

I would like to provide an update on this:

We are close to finalizing the first development phase of our new 64bit Kaseya agent as I compose this message.  

This new Kaseya agent is meant to support macOS (Catalina as well), Microsoft Windows, and Linux operating systems respectively.  

• Thank you for the update .  And thank you  and for your additional input and observations.