Kaseya Community

RDP ActiveX will not launch RDP

This question is answered

I am having a problem connecting to any agents using RDP starting today. This has always worked for me since RDP returned in 9.2. I am now up to 9.3.0.13, but the problem did not start after any Kaseya patches.

With Internet Explorer, the ActiveX control would automatically run and connect without issue.

With Chrome, I would have to manually download the ActiveX control, but after running it I would still be able to connect without issue.

Now I have to manually download with both applications. Once downloaded, I run the file but the RDP connection is never established. Absolutely nothing happens.

I am running Windows 10 with the latest versions of both IE and Chrome.

I have confirmed my VSA URL is part of trusted sites and all ActiveX settings are set to enabled, as usual. 

Is there any 1 setting that I am forgetting to enable to allow this? I cannot start an RDP session no matter what I try.

Thanks!

Verified Answer
  • Hi all,

    FYI, the only way I was able to resolve this was to recreate my profile on my computer. Now all is well.

    The only other step I had to take with the new profile is to update the below key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\LocalDevices

    I had to add a new DWORD with a name of 127.0.0.1 and a value of 4. This allows the RDP connection to start without prompting for unknown publisher.

All Replies
  • ... I will say that in my past experience with similar issues, you'll find a "CONFLICT.#" directory in your "c:\windows\Downloaded Program Files" directory

    If you delete any of those directories (conflict.1, conflict.2, etc) and then also delete the kaxremote.dll file  then restart IE, and typically it will start working again.

    The problem comes in conflicting versions of the activeX control

  • Thanks for the suggestion.

    Unfortunately my "C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files" folder is showing empty even with hidden files and protected OS files displayed.

    So I browsed to the folder in a command prompt and ran "dir" and confirmed there are no files or folders named conflict or any variation of conflict. There were files there, just not that.

    There is a file named "kaxRemote.dll", but I cannot delete it or take control. Access is denied. Although that might not have anything to do with this.

    I also tested on the same computer using another local admin account. This was a brand new profile I logged in to. After a few tweaks and accepting a few prompts, I was able to get the RDP session going. I could not get it to automatically load, but I was on the right track.

    Back in my own profile (I am a local admin) and no go still. I have reset my IE settings, deleted RDP cache and certificate settings from the registry, among other things (lost track at this point).

  • We also had issues with live connect. I created a support ticket and they were able to resolve our issues. It sounds like what we were experiencing. Does your live connect function? If not, Please create a support ticket for this. Let me know if you need my ticket #

  • My live connect has been working fine. Both the old and the versions.

  • Try launching your browser using the "run as administrator" option.  This solves the handful of user experience issues I have with the plugins.

  • Thanks

    I tried that already as well. No go there either.

  • Hi all,

    FYI, the only way I was able to resolve this was to recreate my profile on my computer. Now all is well.

    The only other step I had to take with the new profile is to update the below key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\LocalDevices

    I had to add a new DWORD with a name of 127.0.0.1 and a value of 4. This allows the RDP connection to start without prompting for unknown publisher.