Kaseya Community

Difference between KAV and KES

This question is answered

We've been using Kaseya to monitor our clients systems for years now.  I know that we are not using it to its fullest potential and I was actually going through the system to see how we can use it more.  That's when I came across the Security tab and was wondering what the difference was between KES and KAV?  Is it just Kaspersky vs. AVG?  Is one better than the other?  We are currently using KAV and are somewhat happy with it, but if KES is the better product, I'd like to have us switch.  Any input and/or opinions are more than welcome.

Verified Answer
  • Neither one works perfectly, but starting in 9.3 they rewrote their Kaspersky integrations with major buy in from Kaspersky themselves. It says something that no one employed by Kaseya brought up KES or AVG a single time at the Connect conference, while they did mention, at least hourly, the cool things this rewrite is going to allow in Kaspersky. It seems to me that going forward, significantly more development effort is going into KAV and that KES is being phased out. This is just an opinion based on their talks at the conference.

All Replies
  • Neither one works perfectly, but starting in 9.3 they rewrote their Kaspersky integrations with major buy in from Kaspersky themselves. It says something that no one employed by Kaseya brought up KES or AVG a single time at the Connect conference, while they did mention, at least hourly, the cool things this rewrite is going to allow in Kaspersky. It seems to me that going forward, significantly more development effort is going into KAV and that KES is being phased out. This is just an opinion based on their talks at the conference.

• That is very interesting.  Thank you for the response and I wish I could make it to Connect.  Maybe sometime I'll make it there.  I guess I'll stick with KAV for now and just see what happens in future releases.

• one major point to mention is that KAV is the official AV of Kaseya. AVG and the KES module are moving into  Kaseya's TAP program, so it will be support by AVG.

• When a you deploy KES to an agent, you have to manually schedule a scan. It is not possible to have a scan schedule pushed to KES automatically. Ridiculous.

• If I go into KES (Security - Schedule Scan) I can configure automatic scans there. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "you have to manually schedule a scan" but if you mean you have to click into this screen once and enter some options, well then I guess that's a manual process....much like any other part of Kaseya e.g. installing KES itself....!

I suppose what you really mean is that automated scans can't be configured by policy. And this is correct, and something I would like to see added to Policy Management.

In fact, policy management can only configure a subset of most Kaseya features. It would be great if Kaseya could expand policy management to further automate things like this. It always amuses me that in order to offer automation to our customers we have to do so much manual work hopping between numerous screens in Kaseya....