Kaseya Community

Time to kill Quicktime

• Apparently it will no longer be supported and patched....it appears Ninite Pro will work to remove it

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-105A

• Good to know.  I can confirm with Windows 10 this is no longer needed.  I tested all the Quicktime formats without having Quicktime installed and everything played fine.  One less thing to update.

• I can confirm Ninite Pro does an excellent job at QuickTime removal for those of you that subscribe to it.  The command-line to script is:

#AgentTempDir#\NinitePro.exe /silent #AgentTempDir#\Ninite.log /select QuickTime /uninstall

(We use #AgentTempDir# as our kworking folder).  

If QuickTime is found on the system, it is silently removed (we found even the QT Icon on the desktop was deleted).  If QuickTime is not installed on the system, Ninite silently exits.  Just uninstalled QT from 600 machines in an hour this morning.

• We used this in an agent procedure, seemed to work fine (I don't know if the icon on desktop is deleted or not, I didn't check):

Execute Shell Command: wmic.exe product where "name like '%quicktime%'" call uninstall  /nointeractive

• Thanks Kuuser, worked great!

• Use the following commands in your batch file to silently un-install QuickTime:

msiexec.exe /i "\\servername\share\QuickTime.msi" /passive DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO

msiexec.exe /x {FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C} /qn /norestart

"DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO" will suppress the creation of QuickTime desktop shortcut.

The first line will silently upgrade the QuickTime installed on the machine to the latest version 7.79.80.95 (will replace the previous version).

The second line will un-install the QuickTime completely.

Note: use the latest version of QuickTime.msi i.e. version 7.79.80.95

-----------------------------------

Kaseya Agent Procedure (Upload the latest QuickTime.msi (ver 7.79.80.95) to the VSA shared folder):

getVariable ("Agent Working Directory Path", " ", "AgentTemp", "All Windows Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail")

writeFile ("QuickTime.msi", "#AgentTemp#\QuickTime.msi", "All Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail")

executeShellCommand ("msiexec.exe /i "#AgentTemp#\QuickTime.msi" /passive DESKTOP_SHORTCUTS=NO", "Execute as System", "All Windows Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail")

executeShellCommand ("msiexec.exe /x {FF59BD75-466A-4D5A-AD23-AAD87C5FD44C} /qn /norestart", "Execute as System", "All Windows Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail")

• I was able to do this with a simple script:

executeShellCommand("start /wait /min wmic product where "name like 'quicktime%%'" call uninstall /nointeractive", "Execute as System", All Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail")

This has worked for us.  

I also combined it with an If Else statement:

If hasRegistryKey("HKey_Local_Machine\SOFTWARE\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime") Exists

It would run the above shell command

Else - It would write in the agent log that QuickTime was not found