Kaseya Community

Prevent Windows 10 automatic installation

This question is not answered

Hi All,

As of yesterday (9 Mar 2016) I had three separate clients call me asking why I'm automatically upgrading them to Windows 10.  I informed them that this is a new Microsoft thing--where you go home for the night and arrive at work the next morning to a License Agreement and message that Microsoft has automatically upgraded you to Windows 10, even though you didn't want it.

Has anyone developed a reliable script to prevent Windows 10 from installing automatically?

Right now, I'm working off a simple in-house batch file (below) that kills GWX.exe (the "Get Windows 10" icon and associated functionality) and it works great when manually launched, but I can't seem to get any batch files to run through a Kaseya script, making this difficult for me to just roll to a hundred systems.  The script is below.  It works perfectly when just right-clicked and "Run as Administrator" is selected.

However, I can't even get the simplest batch file (a one-liner with "PAUSE" in it) to launch from Kaseya.

Anyone solved this?  Here's the batch file I'm using:

Taskkill /IM GWX.EXE /f
takeown /f c:\windows\system32\gwx /r
icacls c:\windows\system32\gwx\*.* /t /grant:r "%USERNAME%":F
ren C:\windows\system32\gwx\*.exe *.exebak
ren C:\windows\system32\gwx\*.dll *.dllbak

All Replies
  • All you have to do is setup an agent procedure to modify this Registry entry for 32 bit machines: The REG_DWORD value should be "1"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX\DisableGWX

For 64 bit machines the reg entry to modify is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX\DisableGWX

• Sorry it is the same for both but I always use the "setRegistryValue" for 32 bit machines and the "set64BitRegistryValue" for 64 bit machines

• It looks like you now also need:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

• Awesome!  That looks easy!  I'll try it, thanks!

• Any one with more knowledge then I could give me a step by step on how to setup that Agent Procedure?

Thank you