Kaseya Community

windows boot manager - windows failed to start 0xc000000e

This question is not answered

Is anyone else seeing these in unusual numbers? We've suddenly had a bunch of these recently (8 or so in the last 2-3 weeks, 2 today). They are occurring across clients, with no apparent reason. All Dell Windows 7 x64 systems, some with different AV software. Nothing 'special' happening other than the system being shutdown or restarted before the problem. Doesn't seem to be tied to patches or updates as some problems occur without any patching having just been done.

It's easily fixed by using startup repair, but it's frustrating. We checked with Dell to see if they have any reports of this but they don't.

All Replies
  • No issues here.

It's a pretty generic error that has lots of causes e.g. usb drives plugged in and changing the boot order, MBR corruption due to virus/rootkit/malware, bad SATA/IDE/SCSI/Chipset/RAID driver update in the OS, I've also seen anti-virus updates do it.

I haven't seen any mention of it on the Shavlik patch management mailing list, which usually lights up the moment a bad patch or well-known-vendor update breaks anything.

I'd suggest you don't treat it as a systemic issue, but investigate each case individually, at least for the moment.

• Compare harddisk make and model. We have seen for a series of Dell workstations (Optiplex XE) that we had a batch that had the same model of harddrive that the computer became really slow after some time. Fixed with a new harddrive firmware. I guess this is not the same issue but it could be similar.

• Thanks for the feedback. I'll post back if i ever determine root causes.

• Hi Ben,

We have been seeing quite a few also, 4x over the last 3weeks or so. 1x 2012 hp server, 1x 2008 dell server, 1x hp win7 laptop, 1x hp win7 workstation, all using kav, acronis etc...

All I could find where people were also talking about it was this:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../excessive-number-of-pcs-with-windows-failed-to-start-status-0xc000000e

Will keep updating as we find more,

The workaround fix is basically to run a 64bit win7 os disk and run the startup repair option (on servers also - as some of their os disks don't have that option).

Thanks