Kaseya Community

Is it just me...

• I'm reviewing the R9.1 release notes here http://help.kaseya.com/webhelp/EN/RN/9010000/index.asp and I honestly can't help but feel I've read most of these changes before. Like havent the majority of these changes and fixes already been released in prior versions of Kaseya and in patch releases? I'm not going to go into specific detail, but it really seems like this changelog just has repeated a lot of things previously fixed or updated in older versions of kaseya and that this release is mostly fluff just to get a major version pushed out to keep the promise of rapid releases...

• Patches from the previous release always gets rolled up into the next version. For example, 9.0.0.1, 9.0.0.2, 9.0.0.3, etc.. gets rolled up into release R9.1. So it's possible you, or others, will see some repeats for the benefit of those who are not on the current patch release.

• Patches being rolled in is expected behavior. But if you are looking for changes from version 9.0.0.12 to 9.1 there's actually a lot less than what they have outlined.

edit: and no way to tell what changed from 9.0.0.12 to 9.1 other than piecing together the change history of all the patches and removing things they claim are new from the 9.1 notes.

So the changes listed are not change in 9.1, but rather cumulated patches from 9.0. I'm feeling a little cheated by the amount of effort spent on 9.1. Again I'll say it feels like they just bumped the version number so they could claim to be keeping their promises about release cadence.

Added sentence
    [edited by: nemchik at 4:45 PM (GMT -7) on Jun 1, 2015]
  • They have been doing this in a number of releases, R9 had lots of R8 bug fixes listed. Yes, they need to be rolled into R9 but you can't claim credit for the same bug fix twice. I also love the vague title of "A security vulnerability was removed.", less of them in this release.

Remember these items that they could have rolled out in R9.1 but have slipped again.

Remote Control

1. Drag and drop file transfer

2. Terminal emulator support for Mac, Windows and Linux

3. Zoom in & out and fit to screen

4.  Integrated Task Manager capability

5. Integrated Event Viewer

6.  Integrated Registry Editor

7.  Enable remote control from an iPad

and the now infamous Executive Summary

It seems that unless they can sell licences (Traverse, EMM, 365) it ain't getting any developer time.

There is so much that needs fixing and enhancing in VSA and they are just ignoring it!!!

As mentioned in a previous posting, we probably pay performance based maintenance payments. i.e. a small percentage of what we currently pay!

• To explain a bit more, there are times where priority needs to be shifted slightly to make the product(s) stable. For example, if you review the Intro to R9.1 webinar here, we explain a bit as to how priority was shifted to make the Kserver much more stable and reliable. You can fast forward to the 15:28 time mark for further details on that specific topic.

• I don't often comment about releases, however..........

To Kaseya management, remote control is a cornerstone for any support company. Yes automation is good and works, but sometimes you have to get onto that pc or server to understand the problem being experienced.

KRC is lacking features, see points 1 to 7 from hwsystems post, that was promised to the Kaseya community at least two releases ago.

At the very least, the most important change to KRC that I am waiting for is  zoom/fit to screen. Engineers need microscopes to see some of the screens being rc'ed. This is a basic function of KRC that should have been completed months ago.

Unfortunately, the lack of development on core functionality is showing the true future roadmap of Kaseya.

Eamonn

• I'm all for product stability, that's not the point of this discussion. I'm asking why the release notes for R9.1 are basically an abridged version of the combined patch notes from R9 with very few changes being made from 9.0.0.12 to R9.1? With the minimal number of differences, R9.1 could have just been 9.0.0.13.

If Kaseya doesn't want to keep their "release cadence" just say so. And let your paying customers know you're focusing on stability of the CURRENT release and not trying to bump version numbers for show.

wording
    [edited by: nemchik at 6:10 AM (GMT -7) on Jun 2, 2015]
  • I'm all for product stability, that's not the point of this discussion. I'm asking why the release notes for R9.1 are basically an abridged version of the combined patch notes from R9 with very few changes being made from 9.0.0.12 to R9.1? With the minimal number of differences, couldnt R9.1 have just been 9.0.0.13?

If Kaseya doesn't want to keep their "release cadence" just say so. And let your paying customers know you're focusing on stability of the CURRENT release and not trying to bump version numbers for show.

You ask a great question as to why R9.1 is not 9.0.0.13 and that is because there is new functionality within this release. New functionality are strictly limited to release cycles only. Bug fixes is limited to patch and release cycles. For example, R9.1 includes new functionality such as beta support for Windows 10 agents, new AuthAnvil module, Acronis 11.5 support for Kaseya Backup, new EMM functionality just to name a few.

As a side note, I highly recommend to keep an eye out for the June webinar. This webinar will cover detailed information what is being planned in the future release cadences.

• Can we be perfectly clear about which exact version of Acronis is included in R9.1? I ask because R9 actually comes with 11.5.37977 (displayed on the agent in control panel and in the Acronis program itself) but the VSA interface displays this as 11.0-37977.

So is there actually a new version of Acronis being included in R9.1? Or have you just fixed the version display bug?

• @Nemchik,

Acronis 11.5 was officially released in R9.1. Looking at a previous support ticket from your organization, Acronis 11.5 was provided out of band to your organization due to an urgent issue where backups were not working correct in your environment and on the advice from Acronis Developers. I hope this helps.

typo
    [edited by: Tim Cruz at 1:51 PM (GMT -7) on Jun 2, 2015]

I was wondering about this as well.  We never got an out of band upgrade and we are on R8.  But from everything I can tell, we have Acronis 11.5 installed.

updated screenshot to include all 4 programs.
    [edited by: GDRBrian at 2:09 PM (GMT -7) on Jun 2, 2015]
  • help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp

See: SECBAK-390

Acronis 11.5 was included in Kaseya 6.5

Did we travel back through time?

•  

My apologies, I've been corrected on some details internally. Acronis 11.5-37977 was released on Kaseya 6.5. What's being released in R9.1 is Acronis 11.5-43916.  R9.1 was updated to include that build provided by Acronis and some changes were made on our end to incorporate the Acronis installer.

So we didn't travel back into time just yet. :)

• This sort of detail is important to include in the release notes please.