Kaseya Community

Veeam Backup & Replication setup

This question is not answered

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the Veeam Backup & Recovery Add-On for Kaseya 8.

I've added our own Veeam server and this is being discovered properly as far as I can see.

But I can't manage to add a Veeam server for our customers. It's not clear to me what I have to configure for this to work.

Is it the internal DNS name or the internal IP-address? This seems unlogical to me since how is Kaseya (Veeam Add-On) going to know which device is ment by the IP or DNS name? Of course I still tried configuring a server with the local IP address/hostname but as expected it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong here?

Is there anybody how can help me with configuring Veeam B&R servers for our customers in the add-on?

We are using Kaseya 8.0 with Veeam Add-on 10.0.0.172 and Veeam B&R 7.0

Regards, Danny

Changed "Discussion" to "Question"
[edited by: dmerkenhof at 1:58 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 24, 2014]
All Replies
  • I recently set this up on one of our clients. The user guide says you can use the DNS name or IP of VMware hosts, vCenter servers, SCVMM servers, failover clusters, or Hyper-V hosts. Under infrastructure, I added the internal IP and credentials of the VMware host. I used the IP to eliminate any issues with DNS. You then schedule the 'Collect and Process Backup Server Stats' procedure to run on your Veeam server.

From what I can see in the scripts, when the 'Collect and Process Backup Server Stats' procedure runs, it copies the list of IPs/DNS names found under Infrastructure to the Veeam server. I'm assuming it looks into Veeam to determine what the host IPs are and then checks that list for login information. There is no way to link what you configure under Infrastructure to a specific client. There is also no way to tell what is what in the Infrastructure list. At a minimum, they could add a description field for each entry.

I did have one issue where I set the Kaseya web site port to 443 under Veeam Backup & Replication - Configuration - Options. I had to change this back to the default of 80 for things to work.

• Hi Danny,

Have you had a chance to try the procedure I have posted on the Veeam forums answering the same question?

Here is the link > http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/kaseya-add-on-config-issue-t23732.html

Thanks!

Edited again
    [edited by: Vitaliy S. at 3:31 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 27, 2014]
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, you're correct in your what your doing, but please note that Infrastructure server should be added in the same way (either via IP or FQDN) as you have it in the corresponding backup console.

And yes, we are working on the minor update our add-on, by adding machine groups and other IDs to all objects, so you could easier identify what client this vCenter Server/Hyper-V host belongs to etc.

Thanks!

• Hi Vitaliy,

Thanks for your reply.

I figured out that on the infrastructure tab I just have to use the local hostname/ip-address and schedule the procedure on the server where Veeam is installed.

And then the procedure will use the hostname/ip-address used on the infrastructure tab. It wasn't clear that the infrastructure tab itself doesn't do "anything" by itself.

Now for almost every customer the Add-on is working. I only have som issues with a few vCenter servers not being excexuted.

I'm not really sure what you mean with the part about vCenter Server/Hyper-V hosts. I added them with the hostname of the vCenter server host and domain admin credentials.

Regards, Danny

• The collection status for each VI server will be updated after you collect data from the backup server this vCenter Server is added to. If you have a "never executed" status, then you need to wait till collection engine does its job.

Basically, this action is required to match protected/unprotected VMs only, all other functionality (such as backup job alerting) will be working fine.

Hope this helps!

• I've added the vCenter servers last friday and the collection porcedure is scheduled for every 2 hours. The vCenter servers are still on "Never Executed". I've checked how the vCenter server was added in Veeam, both cases it was added by hostname. I've double-checked the credentials.

I assume it's no problem that Veeam is installed on the vCenter server itself?

Regards, Danny

• Yes, it should be fine. Do you see any data for that backup server if you filter our views by machine group?

• Yes I do. I see the backup server is discovered and the Jobs are gathered.

• Ok, then it seems like the collection job is running fine. Can you also check protected VMs report against this machine group? If report returns no data, please contact our technical team for collection job review, could be some firewall issue that blocks our query to vCenter Server...

I would appreciate if you could tell me your case ID, so I could discuss it with the devs directly.

-
    [edited by: Vitaliy S. at 5:54 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 27, 2014]
  • Thank you for the information regarding IP or FQDN.  The user guide does not specify that.

• @Steve, I will ask our technical team to add it. Thanks for the heads up.