Kaseya Community

Questions from a complete beginner

• I have some very basic questions about Kaseya.

Answers to these questions will help me visualize a good solution for my business clients and bring clarity to them about what Kaseya can do for them.

My understanding of this technology and its features may be Right or Wrong!!

I hope I will get the necessary support I need and that this forum will help me crystallize my understanding.

Here are my thoughts and understanding about Kaseya solution:

Overview:

It is an agent based IT management service solution which:

a. Manages the IT Environment especially in the areas that are critical for Business environment.

b. Manages tedious IT tasks in synchronicity and structured manner.

Agent:

It is a program that is installed into computer devices that play critical role in the IT Environment in context to the Business.

The computer devices could be Servers, Clients which could be Notebooks, Desktops, Mobile devices etc.

Having installed the agent in the devices, it is possible to carry out the complex, synchronized and tedious IT Management tasks as shown in the features of Kaseya.

Some simple thoughts and questions:

1.  Just because there are 100 devices detected in the network, does not mean that the management can be carried out on these devices. These devices must have Agent installed in order to qualify for the services. True?

2. There has to be a dedicated server to handle the complex solution offered by Kaseya (as per the specs and network size) True?

3. In a given office where all the computers (10) carry out critical business tasks and have a Server where they store database, they would need a separate Server dedicated to IT Management and the automated services involved. True?

4. The 10 computers + Database Server with Agent installed, can be managed from the dedicated Computer device which is connected to the IT Management Server. True?

5. The status of the whole system i.e. 10 computers + Database Server + IT Management Server is updated on the computer device through internet so the concerned IT professional has complete mobility and awareness of what is going on with the system in the office. True?

I will have plenty of food to digest if my simple questions are answered and my understanding corrected.

I will post more questions as they occur.

Regards,

Ash

• Your first two sections sound like a marketing quote from Kaseya.  Yes it is that but it is a tool, someone still has to swing the hammer.

1. An agent can go on  Linux, Mac, WIndows and mobile devices.  What you can do through the agent depends on which device with Windows being the one that you can manipulate the most and mobile devices having very little management capability.    Other devices that do not have agents can be monitored and if you go that far manipulated through SNMP or scripting.   For example a DLINK router can't take an agent but can be seen by the system and monitored if SNMP is available or at least pinged to confirm it is present.

2. The dedicated server is located at your own office, not at the client site.  Nothing is required at the client site like other solutions.  This is great because the agents are still visible where ever they are.   You can also go the SAS route where Kaseya hosts it for you.

3. No, no additional machine is required.  You place and agent on the server and workstations only.  No difference in cost for a server agent versus client agent.

4. All managed directly through Kaseya.  The agent connects outbound from the customer machines back to your single Kaseya server.  There are some options where you can designate one of the customer machines as a file source or as a machine that monitors SNMP, etc.  But we typically just use one of the customer servers for this and don't have a separate server.

5. You have full awareness of any connected devices whether they are in the office or on the road.

• Thanks @ispire, I am studying your reply. Here are some more questions off my roof...lol

• 1. The other devices that do not have agents can be monitored and manipulated through SNMP or Scripting. Does the monitoring of agentless devices include the various features of Kaseya solution or simply monitoring the 'presence' of these devices?

2. Consider two case scenarios:

a. The client site just wants to operate business functions with minimum responsibility for IT management. In such a case, we can be their partner for IT maintenance and have a dedicated server at our office for them. All they need to do is install the agents on their PC devices.We manage their IT system through a dedicated server at our office?

b. The client site has a small team of IT professionals and would like the systems to be monitored and maintained from the office and NOT have the system managed by Kaseya solution provider unless necessary.  Which would be the best solution for them then? Having a dedicated server for IT Management or Solution setup on their existing Database Server? Train their IT team to operate the IT Management system?

3. and 4. In other words, the client can use their existing workstations and database servers for IT Management and don't need to invest in additional PC devices for this solution? Assuming that they are using one of their database servers for IT management too, they could use any of the pc devices on the network (with agent) to monitor the status of their IT system. True?

5.. I do understand that the key feature of this solution is to allow the responsible IT professionals to have access to the information of their IT environment through web browser.

*** I am not asking questions about SNMP , Scripting, Hosting / Cloud on purpose. I want to gain clarity on a simple basic solution first.

• 1. You can monitor the presence through a ping, checking a TCP port, HTTP response..  You can also use SNMP for monitor performance of a device or errors on a device.   SNMP is based upon what ever the device supports.   We use some  through SSH to grab configuration files and back them up as well.

2.  If your customer has their own IT department then they may want to have Kaseya them selves and have a consultant set it up.   However, when we have a customer with an IT department or even just someone that is fairly familiar with IT, everything still connects back to our system.  We just allow their IT department to access certain aspects of the system.   We keep control over scripts, security, and those things that we are responsible but we very often have some of our customer accessing our system for just basic remote control, sometimes they add agents and deal with things like Anti-virus.  All have access to ticketing.

3. Depending on how large you are, you need one or two boxes.  One for the Kaseya application server and one for SQL database or on a smaller install both can be on one.  However, customers don't normally want to invest in hardware and you would be giving away your value proposition.  It's best for you to host a server for Kaseya for several of your customers.  You can offer your services and expertise on the system and bringing on a new customer is as easy as just installing the agent.

5. The main differences when we first went with Kaseya besides all of the different functional issues were.

a) No extra hardware required at client site.  Agents install on each PC/Server and that's it.  We brought one customer on over the phone in less than 5 minutes.

b) Connections are outbound from the client site so no firewall ports need to be opened and all connections are encrypted.

c) Agent is very small and unless you are running an audit, virus scan or some other heavy script, the agent has almost zero affect on the client.

d) We want to host our own server and do our own work.  We don't go off shore for support of our clients, we do it all.  This is important in our vision of security.

• Wow... thanks a million for sharing so much clarity !!!

I will share more questions as soon as I put this knowledge to use :))

Thanks so much !!