Kaseya Community

Windows Server 2012 Launch & Kaseya > Please give us some Feedback!

• Hi Kaseya,

Windows Server 2012 is coming soon and we need a official statement from you.

• Kaseya 6.2
    • will support windows 2012?
    • Add on modules will support windows 2012 (Timeline)
    • Kaseya 6.3 (when it's published)
    • will support windows 2012?
    • Add on modules will support windows 2012
    Please can you update the Roadmap so we can plan!
    Thanks Richard
  • @Richard, is coming soon?? I watched the release keynotes last tuesday ;-).

It is here!! ow, and I do have the same questions as you have ;-).

• Bumpetty bump!  And add to the list of questions:

Will it be called "Windows 2008 Server Build 8400" until December, or will it be properly identified sooner?

• I'll get you some official notes on Server 2012 and SQL 2012 support.

• I'm tipping that since server 2012 and Windows 8 are based on the same design generation, you'll need VSA 6.3 to support them. The roadmap clearly states that 6.2 won't officially support win8 (and therefore, by extrapolation, server 2012).

My 6.2 VSA seems to work well enough with win8, all the basic functions work just fine, but i'm sure there's plenty of 'little things' I haven't noticed. yet. :)

• Uhh... it's already here.  ISO's fully published and it is already an OEM option from some vendors.  In fact, we're about to do our first Server 2012 installation about 30 days from now, and this is one of our larger clients so, uh, yeah, we'll need 2012 support pretty soon!

• I've got 2012 installed at a client on a VM for testing their production software in the latest environment, potentially running as a RDS server (Thanks Software-Assurance!).  

Apart from the whole "Windows Server - Now With Metro!" issue, it's got some nice features which some of my clients are itching to get at - such as "4 TB Memory Limit on Standard" being primary...

Although for once, MS did licensing nicely in our favour - Server 2008 R2 Standard, with SA, gets upgrade rights to 2012 Standard.  2012 Standard has downgrade rights to 2008 R2 Enterprise, but your license counts are based on 2012 Standard (2 VM's per physical host)...

At present, our test of Server 2012 Standard is reporting as: Windows 2008 Server Standard x64 Edition Build 9200

• I can confirm that the Kaseya Agent does install on Server 2012 or Windows 8 machines however it will detect them as Server 2008 and Windows 7 machines Sad

From the information I have seen 6.2 won't officially support Server 2012 or Windows 8 and you will need to upgrade to version 6.3 to get this support. This is how its has been done historically with previous major releases of Kaseya and Windows.

Its sux that they have not covered Server 2012 or Windows 8 in 6.2 as the Beta has been out for a while and RTM will be out for several months before we will get 6.3.

• the roadmap was updated yesterday, but unfortunately no new information about Server 2012 ...

• I believe K told us at the user conference that K6.3 (now in Controlled Release) will have this support pretty quickly.

Gotta disagree with some of you about K agents support for Windows releases as soon as they come out. Yes they probably have Beta releases of Windows for months before being released. However, MS is famous for last minute changes. So like most MS developers, K has to wait until MS releases the Gold product before moving forward with final testing/code changes. Most companies can take up to 30 days to complete this process. So I feel we shouldn't start jumping on K's butt untill 30 days from the shipping date of a new Windows release.

• @David Bourgeois

Microsoft provides the Beta and other pre-release versions specifically so that companies like Kaseya can update and develop the products to work before Microsoft releases the software to the public.

A good example of this is the new IBM server guide software already had support when Microsoft's Server 2012 RTM was release. OEMs develop drivers that will work with new OS's before they are released too so why can't Kaseya preemptively do the same and at least be able to detect the difference between Windows 7/Server 2008 and Windows 8/Server 2012?

The problems we as MSP face because of this lack of support are;

• We can't tell the difference between Windows 7/Server 2008 and Windows 8/Server 2012 in Kaseya because the VSA can't tell the difference between the versions.
    • Agent Procedures created for Windows 7/Server 2008 could be executed on Windows 8/Server 2012 with unknown effects and because K 6.2 does not support Windows 8/Server 2012 updating these Agent Procedures would be a pain in the rear.
    • Patch Management
    • Reporting

If you looked at it this way you can see that there is no excuse for not having some basic support when a new Windows version is released...

[edited by: HardKnoX at 4:36 PM (GMT -7) on 25 Sep 2012] typo
  • Not sure that 30 days is a hard limit...it just simply takes time to develop, test, beta and then release support for a new platform. I know from the monthly webinars that support for 2012 is well advanced, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any real integration until next year, at least. 2012 is just that different that there is a lot of new code to develop, as opposed to just tweaking a few things here and there.

• I guess the point being is that we need K to tell us that if its the case. We need a timeline, we need to plan. If K is not going to support it till next year the fine but I need to know that. If they are going to support it within 30days I need to plan that too.

• Hi,

the important thing is that we know the nex step's from the big K and from when the product is supported.

Because  we need to plan!

I don't need a working soution within 30 days!

Richard

• Hey HardKnoX,

I do track what you're saying, but I don't see how you find it realistic for K to have agents ready for new OS release right when they come out. I prefer them to test and make sure it works fine with the Gold Release of MS Windows (and yes I mean Gold release and not RC1 or RC2... MS is famous for pulling out functionality even after these releases). So in all fairness, I do believe they need a little time to make sure all is good with the agents.

Now, lenski is right, K should be giving us a working timeframe for when to expect their system to fully support the latest Windows OS releases. Having been with K for quite a while (and watch Windows do a couple of new releases), it seems that K's approach has been "we'll give you the integration of the new Win OS when we have it ready", vs "you can expect the support for the new Win OS by X date".