Kaseya Community

Kaseya agent on Windows 7 Embedded?

• I have bunch of HP t5570 Thin Clients with WES7 which I should put into production. As a test I installed Kaseya agent on one of these machines (disabled File-Based Write Filter for installation) and it seems to work fine. But since the system normally runs on read only filesystem I think I may have problems ahead since all written files are gone after reboot. 

Does anybody have any experience administering thin clients and WES7 with Kaseya? Any neat tricks how I enable write mode for procedures or agent update? 

• We have experience using XP Embedded but not Windows 7, for these we only really have Kaseya installed for RC purposes and have never tried scripting them to get them in or out of write mode, if yours are anything like ours then you will need a restart to get it into write mode anyway which causes a problem when it comes to scripting as you can't put a restart half way through a procedure.

There is a work around for this issue but it is long and convoluted, you would basically have to setup 2 scripts for each 1, the first which enables write mode then as the 2nd from last step schedules the next script to run in say 2 minutes time, the final step would reboot it at which point step 2 is then ready to make your changes, re-enable read only mode and restart.

What make \ model are your DTs? Do you know if there is any CLi options to get them into write mode?

• What do refer with DT?

There seems to be command ewfmgr which may be the solution for read/write problems. And yes it seems to require reboot to disable/enable.

Our most need is also just RC and asset management, but I'l like to have option to update agents or do some minor changes trough scripting. These devices will be scattered so that it would take days to reach them all physically.

• DT = Dumb Terminal sorry.

Yes I have found this command as you started me thinking and I have a few DTs to update the Kaseya agents on, I am trying this now, watch this space i'll post back here shortly.

• Ok all checked and yes all good to go using the following commands...

Button Description 

Enable EWF  This button is the same as executing ewfmgr.exe c: -Enable from the DOS prompt. 

Disable EWF  This button is the same as executing ewfmgr.exe c: -Disable from the DOS prompt. 

Commit Data to Volume  This button is the same as executing ewfmgr.exe c: -Commit from the DOS prompt

For full details please see the HP documentation found here...

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01568161/c01568161.pdf

• Cool thanks. Terminals I have are HP t5570e, seems to be pretty cool with dual head.

So basically I could just enable commit mode, run agent update and reboot client?

[edited by: Tomi at 11:35 AM (GMT -8) on 2-8-2012] typo
  • Yes but do you want too?

Remember any tool-bars or other stuff users have managed to install in that 'session' would get commit-ed too so you may wish to restart first to make sure there is nothing else being inadvertently added to the system.

• Is there a comprehensive list of what functions do and don't work on Windows Embedded?

Is there any issue with the audit process?

• I'm not sure if Windows Embded is even offically supported.

Audit worked pretty much normally. It was able to dig all hardware information, serial number and software information. No need to do any extra there.

• Personally we use HP Device Manager to manage our Thin Clients, not Kaseya.

• Oh and HP Device Manager is free.