Kaseya Community

Username / Password options - Please??

This question is answered

Is it possible for case-insensitive usernames?

While we have only a couple dozen Kaseya users, we have an unreasonable number of "My username / password isn't working" - almost continually caused by wrong case of usernames.

Is it at all possible?  I saw an earlier forum thread form back in 2006 requesting this, but nothing really resolved, no real answers.  Yes, it creates some additional security, but I'm not too concerned about someone guessing my username (Typically most organizations are based off of one of: FLast, FirstLast, First.Last, FirstL), it's the password that should be heavily protected.

Speaking of which, what are the options for Kaseya password complexity?  I noticed that it's a 6 character minimum, but it doesn't seem to have further protection - "password" is acceptable.  There doesn't seem to be a minimum-same-character requirement.  Duration of same password isn't set... Windows, while horrible in it's requirements for complexity (Length, Duration, and then either "no complexity checks", or "several complexity checks") seems to be a lot more stable / secure than this.

I'd like to see a page of complexity requirement options:

• Set password length (Eg: 8 characters)
  • Set password maximum duration (Eg: 6 weeks)
  • Prevent "simple" passwords (123456, 666666, other all-digit passwords)
  • Prevent "identity" passwords (User: Bill Smith, Password: bsmith, phone number, etc...)
  • Prevent dictionary password (basic dictionary)
  • Force contain certain character sets (Series of checkmarks: Lower alpha, Upper alpha, Digit, Symbol)

Thoughts?

Verified Answer
  • There is a password policy system in Kaseya - look under System / Logon Policy

Specify password strength policy

Require password change every

Enforce minimum password length

Prohibit password reuse for X passwords

Require upper and lower case alpha characters

Require both alpha and numeric characters

Require non-alphanumeric characters

• I use single sign on accounts in my Kaseya setup (use AD accounts to logon the Kaseya Portal) it a tad slower during logon but nothing significant. Worst case scenario your AD is offline and you are unable to sign into Kaseya VSA Portal, so I always make sure to have a backup account to carry on with my work if required.

So yes user names are case sensitive in Kaseya, so when using AD accounts you want to make sure to use the correct case for the user name, the password would be the same as your normal domain logon and the Domain appears to always be lower case.

For example in AD you have;

Username: Bob                  (Not case sensitive)

Password: Passw0rd       (Case sensitive)

Domain: ACME                   (Not case sensitive)

In Kaseya you would use;

Username: Bob                  (Case sensitive)

Domain: acme                    (Lower case only)

Note that you want to use the Domain NetBIOS name for the Domain field, so say the Domain internal DNS name is "ACME.local" you would just use "acme".

All Replies
  • I don't believe Kaseya has anything for that in it's core, but if you link it to AD or the customers AD it'll follow your login just as your workstation.

WARNING!!! -- if you link it to AD you may have other issues where the login's are slow, or the AD is unreachable and now you just can't get into your VSA.

• There is a password policy system in Kaseya - look under System / Logon Policy

Specify password strength policy

Require password change every

Enforce minimum password length

Prohibit password reuse for X passwords

Require upper and lower case alpha characters

Require both alpha and numeric characters

Require non-alphanumeric characters

• I use single sign on accounts in my Kaseya setup (use AD accounts to logon the Kaseya Portal) it a tad slower during logon but nothing significant. Worst case scenario your AD is offline and you are unable to sign into Kaseya VSA Portal, so I always make sure to have a backup account to carry on with my work if required.

So yes user names are case sensitive in Kaseya, so when using AD accounts you want to make sure to use the correct case for the user name, the password would be the same as your normal domain logon and the Domain appears to always be lower case.

For example in AD you have;

Username: Bob                  (Not case sensitive)

Domain: ACME                   (Not case sensitive)

In Kaseya you would use;

Username: Bob                  (Case sensitive)

Domain: acme                    (Lower case only)

Note that you want to use the Domain NetBIOS name for the Domain field, so say the Domain internal DNS name is "ACME.local" you would just use "acme".

• For some reason, my account was missing some information - certain options under system, some monitor sets, some alarms, some procedures, and some reports.  And yes, this was as Master/Master.  Got fed up with it finally, created a new account, tested it out - had full access.  Deleted my old account from this new account (transferring ownership of items), and I can now see the Logon policy settings pages along with all the other missing information.

Thank you mmartin for the specific location, and HardKnox for the AD specification information - I have a strong feeling that after my vacation, I may end up pushing the AD side of things a little bit more - one less username / password to remember.