Kaseya Community

Today's Product Announcement

• I received this in my inbox this morning and I have some comments for Kaseya about it:

http://www.kaseya.com/broadcast/2011/MITSELaunch/default.html?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRoluavAZKXonjHpfsX56uUkXqeg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YcFTcB0dvycMRAVFZl5nQdZCeWMfQ%3D%3D

---

A few months ago I grew very frustrated with Kaseya and decided to take a look at another RMM product. I came very close to leaving, but decided that the process of migrating away was too big to take on at the current time and so I delayed the decision indefinitely.

Why was I shopping around? There were various reasons, but the primary reason it is because I can't stand the games that Kaseya plays with things like licensing and pricing. I'm tired of having my hand forced to spend money on more licenses that I'm not sure that I'll need, or to buy brand new products/modules that I haven't even tested yet or risk spending thousands of dollars down the road.

So here we are with another unnecessary game by Kaseya. Buy these new products now or risk spending 5 times the money later. There is no money back guarantee, no release date guarantee, and no opportunity to test them. We must simply hand over potentially thousands of dollars or risk spending five times more down the road.

These promotions don't do you or your customers any favors. These promotions feel shady and they are transparent. They are designed to sell modules to people who might not otherwise buy them, or might not yet be ready to buy them yet so that you can start collecting maintenance earlier. These games are why a lot of Kaseya customers hate Kaseya as a company and unfortunately it appears as though Kaseya isn't learning anything. I can not imagine what our customers would think if we tried this on them. "Sign up for our new amazing Platinum+++ MSP Agreement! Probably comes out soon! Will cost you $5000 now or $25000 later!"

It's just so unnecessary. Launch your products first. Let us try them. Let your existing customers buy them at a reasonable discount and give us a reasonable time frame to do so. I don't need an 80% discount with my back pressed up against the wall. I'd rather have some time to make a decision and a smaller discount for being an existing customer. Give me three months, or six, or a year. At the very least, let us have a refund within 30 days of product release if we aren't satisfied.

• ...and

We'd love to try the Imaging and Deployment module, but the cost per client ($20) and the initial module and maintenance fees don't add up for us -- WDS in Server 2008 R2 does the same, and it's free.

More and more, Kaseya licensing is becoming more like Microsoft licensing.  You pay $50 for the ability to tie your shoes, but you'll also pay $10 per finger that you use to touch the laces... and yes, the thumb counts as a finger.

• You covered a lot of topics Jesse, and without addressing them individually, let me say that yes, enterprise software licensing is complicated.  As I former MSP myself I wave the flag around here regularly that we need to keep things as simple as possible. I hope that you understand the goal of the most recent promotions was to make fantastic, brand new functionality available to our current customers at steep discount, because we value our customers not because we are looking for more ways to make them mad.  I'm sorry they feel shady to you.  Yes, we are trying to sell more software, but not to unwilling customers or in a manner that would fool someone into buy something they didn't need.  

Talk to your rep, or give us a call and we can arrange free trials for just about any/every module, which is also why this promotion doesn't last just a week.  There are alos some webinar and product information sessions throughout June for this particular promotion to help you learn more and coupled with the trial, make an informed decision.  We understand that you want to kick the tires before buying.  

Feel free to call me anytime.  I'm happy to talk more about this or anything.

• Thanks for replying Brendan.

While I agree that software licensing (Kaseya's especially) can often be confusing, that is not my complaint. I don't find the module pricing to be confusing.

I believe that these promotions are very one sided in Kaseya's favour. You say that it is about providing your valuable customers with new functionality, but it is being done in a way that forces us to:

1) Drop anything else that we might have on our plate so that we can prioritize Kaseya R&D for the next three weeks, something I (and I'm sure most people) had no plans on doing this month, especially in such a short time frame.

2) Invest in technologies that are not even released yet like PSA Integration (especially for Autotask/Tigerpaw).

3) Invest in brand new functionality before it has proven itself.

Where's the middle ground? Why do I have to buy all of this stuff in the next three weeks or pay five times the price? You say that it gives me value but all it does is pin my back against the wall. It forces me to change my priorities immediately to Kaseya R&D if I am to make any sort of intelligent decision around this purchase, or to just roll the dice and buy (or not buy). Ultimately, I will probably end up with licenses sitting on the shelf if I decide to buy before the end of June.

I'm particularly bothered that I even have to pay for Policy Management at all, as are many other people, which is evidenced in the 'Policy Management' thread. It's amazing to me how so many people could express such a negative opinion about being charged for this in advance of the pricing release yet there is still a charge. Is it really worth $200 or $1000 (depending on whether we take the promotion) when you upset so many customers? As someone else already stated, Mark said himself at Kaseya Connect that 'The reason Policy Management took so long is because Copy Settings didn't suck enough'. How can this be seen as anything other than a long overdue core functionality update? Labtech manages agents by policy and it was the most impressive thing about their RMM tool when I looked at it. I was excited that Kaseya was finally implementing this.

I realize that this sounds like a rant... and I guess it is, and so I am clear I do have love for Kaseya which is why I have stuck around and why I visit the Kaseya Conference every year. But the pricing/licensing piece just feels broken. There are costs associated with angering your customers and a lot of your customers are angry a lot of the time and it's always over things like pricing and support and rarely over things like functionality.

At the end of the day: Paying for unused licenses and products make people angry. Kaseya designs promotions and pricing in a way that results in thousands of unused licenses.

• jesse.smith

1) Drop anything else that we might have on our plate so that we can prioritize Kaseya R&D for the next three weeks, something I (and I'm sure most people) had no plans on doing this month, especially in such a short time frame.

Brendan, how does Kaseya R&D the products they release? Is there a way us (the community) can follow along with R&D processes? Maybe a bugreport page or bug tracking page (unless there's already one that exist, in which I'd like to know where I can access that). 

jesse.smith

I'm particularly bothered that I even have to pay for Policy Management at all, as are many other people, which is evidenced in the 'Policy Management' thread. It's amazing to me how so many people could express such a negative opinion about being charged for this in advance of the pricing release yet there is still a charge. Is it really worth $200 or $1000 (depending on whether we take the promotion) when you upset so many customers? As someone else already stated, Mark said himself at Kaseya Connect that 'The reason Policy Management took so long is because Copy Settings didn't suck enough'. How can this be seen as anything other than a long overdue core functionality update? Labtech manages agents by policy and it was the most impressive thing about their RMM tool when I looked at it. I was excited that Kaseya was finally implementing this.

Kaseya agent management out right sucks, Policy Management would be an improvement but now having to pay for it puts added cost, making Labtech more attractive as it already provides nice agent management functionality already included in the core product. 

• Just to add my voice here - I agree with everything Jesse so eloquently stated.  We're already customers, many of us help beta test features ahead of release and provide valuable real-world usage data back to Kaseya. We're already drinking the 'kool-aid', so there's no reason to come at us with these high-pressure sales tactics.  The same thing happened when the AppAssure partnership was announced - we had less than a 30 day window to buy licenses at a discounted rate.  I bit and purchased 5 licenses to test with back in February, and I just last week got the last of the bugs worked out (bogus license keys, installation/configuration details that weren't clear, waiting several days for my support requests to go between Kaseya and AppAssure, etc).  I haven't been able to deploy any of them to clients yet because it just takes time to figure out how to go from the BUDR model to the AppAssure model.  I don't have my own personal QA lab/staff to work full time on designing and testing a new implementation like this.

What would be better for me (and probably others) would be to have a longer grace period - something like 90 or 120 days.  That would give us time to evaluate the software thoroughly and make educated business decisions on whether or not a particular module was a good fit or not.  The alternative (as it stands now) does nothing but frustrate Kaseya's customers, quite unnecessarily in my opinion.  

• I also completely agree with Jesse.  During the summer months 30 days is crazy for this kind of thing, especially given that we're talking about so many modules.  I've got a vacation planned this month which means the next few weeks are packed with other responsibilities that have to be addressed before I can leave.  Even if I got free trials of the new modules, I don't have the resources to look at them this quickly.   As Benny said, we're already customers, why does it matter if we purchase the upgrade in 30 vs 120 days?

And Mark's comment at Connect about copy settings not sucking enough was also the thought I had about policy management. The impression that leaves me with is that we users are having to pay more for functionality because we're not complaining enough.  Is that really the situation here?  It almost seems like you're encouraging users to become more confrontational and anti-Kaseya in order to get better functionality.