Kaseya Community

Backing Up Exchange 2007

This question is answered
Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi All,

We have installed the acronus backup feature of Kaseya and tested a full volume backup of our 2007 Exchange server; the total backup file size was 63.7 GB were as the total size of used space is 108.7 GB. We used the default Normal Compression level, so I was expecting the total size to be about or if not exactly the same size.

What I want to know is if the total backed up file size is the whole Exchange Server and that it did not skip anything.

The whole backup process took only about 40mins to complete which seems to be a little too quick for me.

Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • It is always possible that something could go wrong, did you try the create VM image directly from within the BUDR 4.0 Interface? You can use the free Virtual PC from Microsoft, or VMWare, or ESX .... try converting the backup to one of those and see if it works properly.

All Replies
  • It's an image based backup so it is fairly quick on fast hardware ... the best way to test the backup is to do a full restore - with acronis you can turn the image file into a VM Image - do that and open it in VMWare to test the backup ...

• Thanks Tom, I restored my backup to a .VHD and it ended up being 109 GB which is what I originally expected. But when I boot it up in Hyper-V it fails with a "Failed to Load Operating System" error message. Could something have gone wrong during the backup process?

Thanks in advance.

• It is always possible that something could go wrong, did you try the create VM image directly from within the BUDR 4.0 Interface? You can use the free Virtual PC from Microsoft, or VMWare, or ESX .... try converting the backup to one of those and see if it works properly.

• Hi,

sounds like a good backup backup to me. Even normal compression compresses the backup quite a bit.

Of course you can try if you can restore the server or convert the tib gto vhd and try to setup a virtual test machine based on your backup, then you knw for sure if it;s working!

• Thanks all for your help, I converted my Image to a VMWare based format and was able to successfully boot up the VM, Exchange 2007 is all intact. I did notice that VMWare by default uses SCSI over Hyper-V's IDE. So it looks like Microsoft may have come catching up to do as it failed when booting it up as a SCSI.