Kaseya Community

Kaseya Newbie looking for some help

• Recently took over managing Kaseya in a managed service environment.  Currently going through the online training, but unfortunately I find it lacking in some areas.  Can anyone point me to some real world setups and scenarios?  I would like to know not only how to do things but also why (or why not)  

• Just browse around the forums here, you'll find a lot of useful information on tips and tricks.

Welcome to the Community!

• Welcome to the forums..

To be honest, asking broad information will not get you anywhere (without sound over dramatic, Kaseya can do ANYTHING you want it to do, you just need the time and skill to do it).

In saying that, Dan is right in saying that there are a lot of people on the forum that would assist if you had a specific question and if you take a look around I am sure you will find most of what you are looking for.

There are some youtube videos that we show our staff when coming on board (they are based on each module) so maybe try looking at them?

• You can also check out the online videos posted on Kaseya's website.  They are primarily overview-type videos, but can be really helpful when you're first learning your way around.

As the others mentioned, the forums are a great place for gathering info, learning from others' experiences, etc.

You can also reference Kaseya's growing knowledgebase and the Resources page provides some documentation, some webinar recordings, and a variety of scripts, templates, etc.

Training Videos:  http://lms.kaseya.com/kedu/

Knowledge Base:  community.kaseya.com/.../default.aspx

Resources:  community.kaseya.com/.../default.aspx

(All of these sites can be accessed directly from http://community.kaseya.com/)

Welcome to Kaseya!

[edited by: Brande Schweitzer at 10:45 PM (GMT -7) on 3-31-2011] edited for clarification
  • I have watched the videos but unfortunately that is what I find lacking.  I would like to see some real world examples. Not just someone talking about how great kaseya is for them but more of a best practice guide as to how to get started successfully.  

for example Is there a training manual or guide that not only defines what kaseya does but shows how to in an effective install. I.e "Company A buys Kaseya for their managed services.  They have defined how they will use it for their customers and this is how that is setup in Kaseya"

I apologize, I don't know how to get anymore specific than that.  

[edited by: maru3445 at 5:51 AM (GMT -7) on 4-1-2011] mispelling
  • Maru3445,

I get it.  I see this situation with some of our customers sometimes - they buy something but don't know exactly what it does or how to get it off the ground.  I usually have to give a whole day or two day training, and it goes module by module.  I'll give you a rough outline of what I think the process for getting started is.  If you have specific questions about these steps, I'm sure the community will be more than glad to assist.

1)  Review helpful resources (community, helpfile, youtube, etc...)

2)  Review the System module.  Specifically you need to be familiar with the "Manage" option and the hierarchy of creating orgs/groups and how they inherit each other.  Most of the other stuff in the System module can come later when you get time to explore.  I usually give honorable mention to scopes and naming policies.

3)  Review the navigational aspects of Kaseya.  Become familiar with Machine Group filtering, specific machine filtering, views, and for now just know that you can create pretty much any view you want (almost).  Know how to navigate the main menu on the left and be aware of the helpfile button, the status button, and the admin notes button.

4)  Review the Agent module.  Be aware of the Agent Status screen and the fact that you can add columns, as this will greatly improve your efficiency.  Create an agent template using the Create menu.  Create an agent package using Deploy Agents.  Know what a Working Directory is and how to use it.  Know how to correctly Set Credentials.  Know how to move/delete/rename agents.  Know how to and why to control check-in parameters and agent menus.  Know how to copy agent settings and be familiar with what each copy-able setting entails.  Run a LanWatch and become familiar with it's quirks and shortcomings.  Push an agent via LanWatch.  Lastly, be aware of how to upgrade an agent version.

5)  Review KLC (Kaseya LiveConnect)'s Agent Data tab and how it shows scripts or Agent Procedures.

6)  Review Agent Procedures module.  There's really so much here.  It is a never-ending rabbit hole.  Just know that you can create and schedule scripts and software here, and that you can get and distribute files.  Everything else will come in stride as you gain expertise.

7)  Review the Audit module.  Be aware of the different types of audits and the best practices to schedule them.  I would highly suggest getting the advice of the community regarding audit scheduling, as it seems to be a touchy performance-related subject.  Know what information you get from auditing, and why you have to audit.  Review the KLC Audit Information tab.

8)  Review the Monitoring module.  You'll need to carefully review the help file on this one, as it gets tricky.  Monitoring is where you .... monitor stuff and how you are alerted to the triggers you specify.  Spend a lot of time on this.  If you get it right from the start, you greatly reduce your workload later.  I'd probably recommend starting with the Alerts screen (called Fixed Alerts when you're copying settings), as it is the easiest to configure.  Like I said, spend time here.

9)  Review the Patch Management module.  This one is also fairly complex.  For starters, you need to decide on and develop you patch policies.  This will take a while.  Next, you need to attach patch memberships to agents.  You need to really master the File Source screen and really understand what it does and why it is valuable, as this makes subsequent maintenance much more efficient (not only with patching, but with other modules like Security).  Understand the differences between Automatic Update, Initial Update, Machine Update.  Review reboot actions and WAU settings.

10)  Review the Remote Control module.  Know how to set the type of remote control and the pros/cons of each type.  Know that you can create local accounts and/or reset local account passwords for an agent machine using the Reset Password function - it's important.  Do a few test remote control sessions with KVNC and Terminal Services.  Check out the FTP and Task Manager options and how they are similar to KLC's File Manager and Task Manager tabs.  Also check out KLC's Desktop Access tab and how it is similar/different from remote control from the Remote Control module.  While you're in there, look at the rest of KLC.

I left out Ticketing, Service Desk, Time Tracking, Anti-Malware, Anti-Virus, Backup, Destop Policy & Migration, KOB, Security, InfoCenter, and Netowork Discovery.  You've got enough of an outline to get you started and consume a week of your time.  These other modules are extra.  You can build on your foundation and explore these modules if you have them and if you will find them useful and if you can sell their value.

Hope all of this helps!  I hope it does, it took me a while to write it...

Ask if you need specific advice!

• JHardee, thank you for taking your time to write that post.  I found it very helpful.  It has given me a good framework to go by in these early stages.  Much Much appreciated

• Glad to be of assistance!