Kaseya Community

Hide .root from kaseya view? Best way to deal with?

• Hello,

We are new to K2. We now have all these machines that are duplicated in .root. My question is how do we hide these machines groups from showing up. How do you get around all this .root mess. What do you all do and how to disable reporting of .root. Thanks.

Greenbeanx

Legacy Forum Name: Hide .root from kaseya view? Best way to deal with?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Greenbeanx
  • In short, you can't. Welcome to K2!

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: XeviouS

Edited by an anonymous user.

[edited by: Anonymous at 7:56 AM (GMT -7) on 5-18-2011] Testing editor.
  • This is easily the worst part of upgrading Kaseya. I don't understand why anyone thought it would be a good idea to change the naming convention of agents. :(

• Agree, does get in the way, but, does lend flexibility in larger structures.

• Hello,

If you already created Multiple Organizations during migration from v5.1, you can:

1) Create single new org (changing the default group name if desired)

2) Create sub-groups matching previous v5.1 top level groups

3) Move agents from orgs to new org / subgroups

4) Delete orgs that were migrated from v5.1

• @Sam ...a very interesting and effective solution!

After upgrading to K2 I too was very unimpressed with the new structure. Whats this ugly root stuff!!

Over time however I have re-named all the default .root extentions to be more descriptive of the machines within ...as was kaseya's intention when they designed it.

We have primarily used it to define the location of those machines.  i.e

org

org.sydney

org.melbourne

org.singapore

org.suburb

etc

but occasionally we use them to define other grouping i.e

org

org.office

org.home

org.testing

org.production

org.roaming

org.family ( those poeple you have no choice in supporting!)

now...we would never want to go back.

The only downside is the Machine Group drop down box is very long.

• @joshua.niland, we had the same issue with the drop downs for machine groups getting kind of long. We are using a similar structure to what you outlined, though with a few more steps in there like so:

org

org.usa

org.usa.tx

org.usa.tx.dallas

org.usa.tx.austin

etc

To somewhat alleviate our problem, we leveraged scopes. We created scopes with a friendly name for the org and then added all the helpdesk support staff to it, but with the same rights applied. They can now use the Scope dropdown to sort of 'pre-filter' the orgs down to a smaller list, though I am user you could create filters based on other options, like perhaps in my case a 'Texas' scope that filters to only tx based machine groups, but that could get messy to maintain.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

• What you're seeing is the Organization name followed by a Machine Group.  The Machine Group has the .root appended to the name.

We have no use for the structure of Organizations, so we use Scopes to filter them out. To do that, just create one or more Scopes and add the Machine Groups to them.

Scopes are also a great way of organizing your machines by contract/SLA/etc.

• We do use Scopes for filtering our different Levels of SLA customers.

The problem I have with Scopes is the ability to Report from the info center.

You can report on Groups or Views.  But have not found a way to report on scopes.

• How does this affect things like ticketing etc. From what i can see if you have notifications etc setup and you move them to the new group, we need to setup these group specific options again...is this correct?

• in 6.2 the .root will not show in the machine filter list if it does not have any agent

• Old thread, but still annoying...

I was expecting with the 6.2 that if you did not have any subgroups or organizations then the .root would be hidden.  Is that correct or should i not be seeing these .roots anymore?

• Once you create a new subgroup, you can move agents out of "root" and delete it.

• Maybe we have our environment setup too simple for this because I can't move things out of .root

We have our things setup like following:

SupportCompany.Client Name

We then end up with the following showing up in the list.  I have no need of anything other then SupportCompany.Client Name

SupportCompany.Client Name

SupportCompany.Client Name.root

Unfortunately I can't move things out of .root because apparently everything needs a machine group...so it really makes no sense for them to display a .root at all...

I think they just need to code the damn thing that if there are only default machines groups to hide them vs us screwing around to work around that stupidity.

Edit - Actually I think the problem really is their default displaying of Machine Groups in the views.

Each organization has a .root machine group

Every Machine MUST be in a machine group

The Machine Group dropdown seems to show the organization and the Machine Group(s) individually so that you could select the Organization and all machine groups if necessary...or a specific machine group.

Makes 100% sense to do that...

However, if you only have the single machine group, then also displaying the Organization and Organization + machine group makes no sense whatever...as they are the same thing.

Simple simple solution by Kaseya

If we leave our Machine Group name as .root...then do not display it in the dropdown because Organization = Machine group when it comes to selections of machines,etc

Obviously, there were be people who leave machines in .root and put them into additional machine groups...but its a simple fix for them to move them out of .root..or rename .root to something else...

[edited by: Mark.Hodges at 4:49 PM (GMT -8) on 1-7-2012] edits added
  • Check System > Server Management > Default Settings.

"Show organizations in views with one machine group - Controls the display of the Machine Group dropdown filter list at the top of every agent page. If Y, the Machine Group drop-down displays every organization and every machine group as separate items. If N, organizations are not shown as separate items in the list for organizations with one machine group only."