Kaseya Community

Had Enough - Looking for an Alternative

• I'm done.

I have been with Kaseya long enough to know that things will not get better. I tried to stay positive. I kept telling myself that support will work out the bugs. But now I'm just tired of explaining to customers why our managed services offering continues to cause problems that would not be there even on an unmanaged network. IMO this is a dysfunctional company that sells horrible software at a premium price. Period. No more excuses. No more idle threats. Time for change.Mad

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: daniel@l1n.com
  • OK... this is my rant (I've been with K for 3 years and have earned the right to do this):

Towards K - Guys, when will you get a major upgrade deployed without all of this grief happening? This will mark my 3rd one, and frankly they all have sucked. You need to do a better job on your product upgrades so they minimize the impact on us and our systems. In the end I was happy with K5 (my company is running well under it) so I did not need to immediately jump to the new version. But you guys officially released K2 to the public (staggered of course) so I assumed it was safe to move up to it. And yet as you can see many users are running afowl of bugs and design changes (like LC remote control not allow end users to open separate remote control windows so as to see full screen or multiple screens like you can do in K5). I mean, how many times can you shoot yourselves in the foot before you start to bleed out too much??? This test/deploy process you are using is broken, and you need to get it fixed. I can see you've done a better job of it this release, but it wasn't good enough!

To you knuckleheads that jumped on board right when a new release came out -> Hasn't Microsoft and K tought you guys anything??? Come on, how many times will it take for you guys to catch on that being an early adopter starts out being fun (look at all of the cool things I can do with the new version!), but in the end the bad out weighs the good for several weeks to several months. After going through this a few times I finally learned to setup a new server and install K2 to it and run things in parallel for a while (especially since K now allows the install of 2 agents to a machine). Once K finally gets all of my issues fixed, I'll move on over to the K2 server and decomission the K5 server. So while you're crying (boo hoo, boo hoo) remember to make sure to kick yourself in the ass for being a knucklehead and not learning from past experiences!

To all of you first timers (those of you going through this for the first time): This sucks. I'm sorry you're going through what we veterans have been through (a difficult and brusing time). However, based on my previous experience, I have justifiable faith that K will plow ahead and resolve these issues and get the product running as it needs to be. Please learn from it, and the next time K releases a major upgrade, have some patience and wait (let the knuckleheads and newbies debug it for us!). Or make sure to do a parallel install where it reduces your stress levels. In the end I feel the K product is an excellent choice to run your business with.

To you people looking to jump ship -> That is your perogative. But instead of crying wolf by "threatening" to dump K for someone else, just do it. I'm sure if enough of you had the balls to leave it would make a good impact on K, and then maybe they'd learn that they need to do a much better job on the upgrade process! However, if you do not leave, them how about you get with others who are also having issues and forming a peer/support group that helps each other out, as well as tries to use its cumulative strength to influence K in the right direction? In other words, try to find a way to improve the situation instead of just bitching and doing nothing about it.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • To you knuckleheads that jumped on board right when a new release came out

Really? You are going to imply that us as end users have any ownership in this cluster? We received, like you, our K2 upgrade after it was made publicly available. No beta testing going on here. And lets face it, the real problem is that Kaseya is completely incapable of releasing a hotfix that corrects one problem without causing 10 more. K2 looked safe enough when we upgraded. But I have seen my Kaseya server deteriorate EVERY DAY since due to lack of testing of patches/hotfixes.

In other words, try to find a way to improve the situation instead of just bitching and doing nothing about it.

No problem. Just direct me to any location where Kaseya actually allows us to interact with them. Show me where I can go to recommend that they not release hotfixes at 8:30am that cause BUDR backups to execute at the start of the work day, or how I may hint to them that allowing KES to reboot a server in the middle of the day might not be a great idea. That place doesn't exist, so all I can do is ***.

Legacy Posted By Username: daniel@l1n.com
  • It looks like I perturbed you Daniel, where I was trying to give a wake up call. Being an ex coach (kiddie league of course!) I believe in action, not inaction, so I have a tendenacy of pushing a little too hard (sorry about that). But my point still remains the same, do something other than ranting (I did notice that you choose to complain again instead of picking good and bad points).

How to get involved? I'll tell you how I did it. I contacted others through K's forums who felt like I did. We started to email each other then we formed a peer group via this process. Next I send emails to my Sales Rep asking to talk to different people inside of Kaseya. Thgen when I went to the K partner summit my group and I meet with certain department heads to discuss things like Support, KES, and other things. We learned a lot from it.

Now, I cannot tell you things are all rosy (because support is no where near where it needs to be!) I can tell you that some of the issues we have been talking with K about have been addressed (like being able to call into support instead of submitting a ticket and waiting 2 years for a response!!!). We choose to team up and attack the problem head on (we felt the effort has a return on investment).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    OK... this is my rant (I've been with K for 3 years and have earned the right to do this):

Towards K - Guys, when will you get a major upgrade deployed without all of this grief happening? This will mark my 3rd one, and frankly they all have sucked. You need to do a better job on your product upgrades so they minimize the impact on us and our systems. In the end I was happy with K5 (my company is running well under it) so I did not need to immediately jump to the new version. But you guys officially released K2 to the public (staggered of course) so I assumed it was safe to move up to it. And yet as you can see many users are running afowl of bugs and design changes (like LC remote control not allow end users to open separate remote control windows so as to see full screen or multiple screens like you can do in K5). I mean, how many times can you shoot yourselves in the foot before you start to bleed out too much??? This test/deploy process you are using is broken, and you need to get it fixed. I can see you've done a better job of it this release, but it wasn't good enough!

To you knuckleheads that jumped on board right when a new release came out -> Hasn't Microsoft and K tought you guys anything??? Come on, how many times will it take for you guys to catch on that being an early adopter starts out being fun (look at all of the cool things I can do with the new version!), but in the end the bad out weighs the good for several weeks to several months. After going through this a few times I finally learned to setup a new server and install K2 to it and run things in parallel for a while (especially since K now allows the install of 2 agents to a machine). Once K finally gets all of my issues fixed, I'll move on over to the K2 server and decomission the K5 server. So while you're crying (boo hoo, boo hoo) remember to make sure to kick yourself in the ass for being a knucklehead and not learning from past experiences!

To all of you first timers (those of you going through this for the first time): This sucks. I'm sorry you're going through what we veterans have been through (a difficult and brusing time). However, based on my previous experience, I have justifiable faith that K will plow ahead and resolve these issues and get the product running as it needs to be. Please learn from it, and the next time K releases a major upgrade, have some patience and wait (let the knuckleheads and newbies debug it for us!). Or make sure to do a parallel install where it reduces your stress levels. In the end I feel the K product is an excellent choice to run your business with.

To you people looking to jump ship -> That is your perogative. But instead of crying wolf by "threatening" to dump K for someone else, just do it. I'm sure if enough of you had the balls to leave it would make a good impact on K, and then maybe they'd learn that they need to do a much better job on the upgrade process! However, if you do not leave, them how about you get with others who are also having issues and forming a peer/support group that helps each other out, as well as tries to use its cumulative strength to influence K in the right direction? In other words, try to find a way to improve the situation instead of just bitching and doing nothing about it.

This knucklehead applauds you and agrees!!

boudj

I'm sorry you're going through what we veterans have been through (a difficult and brusing time).

This is actually kind of painless compaired to rolling out an entire new solution to all end points and having to retrain endusers on how to open tickets.

boudj

No problem. Just direct me to any location where Kaseya actually allows us to interact with them. Show me where I can go to recommend that they not release hotfixes at 8:30am that cause BUDR backups to execute at the start of the work day, or how I may hint to them that allowing KES to reboot a server in the middle of the day might not be a great idea. That place doesn't exist, so all I can do is ***

There were a thread in this very forum that addressed this. AND I've had this experiance myself... Now all is good, and it took about 2 seconds to fix. Will I link you to this thread? No, I won't... And it's odd that boudj can accomplish so much with what he... she... I'll just use it for the heck of it... with what it has to work with... That said. I have very little problems with support. Other than they're slower than molasses running up hill in the winter, they seem to have been able to knock all the big issues I've had with the migration out in a timely manner. And this ranges from a few hours to a day... the other smaller stuff that I've had to deal with can be worked around and their support staff even communicates with me sometimes... And let me tell you it's really odd to get a call at 4am from someone that is fixing a problem and not reporting one.

So to you and everyone else that has handed out an emtpy threat... you have 3 choices, muddle through it... (not recommended you'll just get bitter)... work with the reset of us to make things better... (I suggest this, as working as a community is good for everyone!) or just leave...

Oh one more choice... you can try... yes try and create your own solution from scratch... if you have the gumption to do so... let's see how well you can do...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Hi Boudj,

I agree with you on the moaning department, I have to say I have been guilty myself on many occasions largely because I am the brunt of Kaseya rants within my own organisation and as such when your hands are tied you need to let loose somewhere.

I think though also we have to respect the fact that we pay huge money for kaseya and while it has done a great job in changing the way we as a company operate there has been a huge uphill struggle with support and bugs and also the need for custom development inhouse, also in the number of years I have been with them (3 now) there has not really been great innovation or great advancements - I don't classify K2 as that great a leap.

As a customer of Kaseya I want the product to succeed as the more they succeed and innovate the more it helps and advances our business.

I really like the usergroup concept, i was only commenting recently to our kaseya people that having members moderate the forums and have a more direct channel to kaseya could also help as it would allow a fast track of potential issues or "common issues" - I think also using the knowledge of partners to build templates / script pools / best practices etc would be worth the investment from kaseya - The wealth of information out there is absolute golddust - Get the partners onboard to do this.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Makes me warm and fuzzy to hear that I am not the only one who is being ignored by Kaseya. They are on you quick if you miss a payment, maybe they can have the AR Dept train the Support guys how this works! I love the product, I have a thousand licenses with about 700 agents currently and recently upgraded from 5x to K2. The system is running fine and performance is very acceptable, with the exception of Service Desk performance. Kaseya Support (an oxymoron?) in my experience has never been what I would classify as good, and in the last year it has been unspeakably bad in my opinion. Its been said numerous times but it is worth saying again.....If my support was half as bad as Kaseya i would lose all of my clients in short order. I am also pissed that we were told we would be granted Service Desk Licenses only to find out after we spent maybe 30 hours learning and testing Service Desk that they only would grant us two licenses, we have 15 people that would need access and after all the money I have shelled out paying them a couple more thousand dollars is out of the question. I am already sick that i send them money every month as it is. I really do not wish to do business with a company who treats me as callously as this company but i cannot afford to abandon a product i paid so dearly for. But tonight i can go to sleep knowing that there are lots of Kaseya customers who are as frustrated with this company as I am. Now I have to go log into my Kaseya portal because i have some work to do!

Scott Gorcester

Legacy Posted By Username: MooseSG
  • Hi, is there anyone with an experience of a better product?
    We are looking particularly at Remote Desktop, Scripting and Reporting.
    Network monitoring such as detecting devices that are plugged in to the network is also a nice to have and of course ticketing system.

We tried a small project of 200 agents before rolling out to all our offices and unfortunately K2 is not working.

Especially Live Connect is a failure. A simple RDP works flawlessly while LC won't even connect to the Relay. Reading this thread I can see we are not doing anything wrong and the problem lies with the defective product.

We had many hotfixes but my ticket is open since a month without a solution.

Our sites have small bandwith with high latency (but RDP works well). Also Teamviewer works perfectly.
    Just Kaseya does not work.

I would not recommend installing K2 so far (we had a short run with 5.1 that worked well and did not have so many issues, and made the mistake to upgrade).

Legacy Posted By Username: Alessandro Di Marco
  • boudj
    To you knuckleheads that jumped on board right when a new release came out [...] remember to make sure to kick yourself in the ass for being a knucklehead and not learning from past experiences!

Actually, we sat on the new release for a month or so even after it showed up as an option when a master admin logged in... but we had problems that K Support couldn't fix, and their recommend was "go to K2 to get away from that codebase," basically.

So it was either stick with a broken K5, or go to the potentially-broken K2. Hobson's choice, since the only way I was going to get problems worked on was to upgrade anyway...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • Wow...there are a lot of things being talked about in just this thread. I won't comment on all the points made, but I will mention this for now:

Support/Customer Service: We are/have been staffing up in this area over the last couple months and will continue until we see the results we want. For instance, right now you can call our number and get a live body to answer (except for a 5 hour window at night for us North American based folks) Even so, you'll get an auto attendant that "should" help you get straight to a tech. There are lots of changes with call routing, escalation, first response etc. as well but I won't go into detail, other than its a work in progress and we started with opening the phones.

Community Based Support: I love the idea of K users working together, that's the point of these forums. I am officially your community connection to Kaseya. Part of that responsibility will be launching our NEW community site in Q2 (fingers-crossed). I am counting on your voices in that new community which will have wikis, forums, documents, and eventually will be unified through SSO to the customer portal etc.

Some pointed out the size of some of our competitors and that is important. The tidbit that deserves focus is really the customer base. The more of you there are the better the community becomes and that adds value.

I could spend 10-12 hours a day trolling just the Kaseya forums and trying to discourage talks about leaving us, or giving a "formal repsonse" or "rebuttal" but a vibrant community that is safe works better. If you ever see something that you think deserves some extra special attention or answer please feel free to let me know directly.

We value your business, your input, and your voice. Don't go anywhere because this ride is only going to get even better!

Legacy Posted By Username: brendan.cosgrove
  • Someone mentioned a blog on migrating from K2 to Labtech. I found this blog that you may be interested in-

http://k2labtech.blogspot.com/

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonw@ancientgeek.com
  • jasonw@ancientgeek.com
    Someone mentioned a blog on migrating from K2 to Labtech. I found this blog that you may be interested in-

http://k2labtech.blogspot.com/

Here's another: http://blog.sourceminer.com/?p=55

Legacy Posted By Username: techie2
  • We are a smaller managed service then a lot of you guys, we only have 300-400 machines to manage. But my experience with K2 has been fortunately better then a lot of other people.

When I did the Migration in Beginning of March, I believe I missed some the bumps that people have had. If Kaseya is to learn from this experience a number of things need to be learnt.

No. 1 Never market a product or say is almost ready for release a year before release.

No 2. Never release until you are 100% satisfied with the product

No 3. If you are to ask for a premium price make sure you are giving value to your customers in a new product (k2 is marketed as a new product) and not price gouging.

I feel Kaseya has let us all down in these 3 areas. The bugs I know will eventually fixed one by one and I can live with a bug here and there, but one thing I find difficult to swallow is the pricing gouging in Service Desk Feature and making a product with a new face but very little new features.

Fair enough Live Connect is a New Feature, but all the other features in this product is really the same sheep in new coat of wool. In some cases even have the same coat of wool.

I believe Live Connect will be an improvement to my business activities, but other then that the few tweak and edits in reports/scripts and monitoring in my opinion s a patch not a New Version.Our Staff are still creating crystal reports from the SQL database.

Now onto my bug bear - Service Desk, Kaseya knows that Ticketing was the weak part of its product versus other products available, and the majority of clients need an ITIL based service. So they give us a substandard version of improved ticketing in the hopes that they can extract more money from us on a regular basis.

We already pay a annual subscription plus a great deal of money for the product over a long period of time. There was no need to try and price gouge in an area that should be considered a natural part of a managed services product.

Kaseya has disappointed me not so much in the product in what they have tried to do and execute, but by there ethics around the execution and what should be classified as Core changes and what they consider is a new product.

Sorry K2 to me is really 5.1 with Live Connect. It is not a new product and definitely not worth the annual subscription we all make each year, and the promise of new version when we sign the large initial payout for the software.

I will be sticking with Kaseya this time around but if their view of business does not change then I will be going to a new product.

Legacy Posted By Username: adam.sheridan
  • On support...

One day about three weeks ago, somebody buzzed my line and said "Ernie from Kaseya support is on line 3 for you".

I almost broke my jaw as it dropped and bounced off of my desk! No ticket, no known issue, Ernie spotted something on our Kserver and called me proactively. Our KES was fubarred.

I was starting to think that Kaseya support was not allowed to us the phone ;P.

Over the last three weeks I have been called by Ernie at Kaseya at least three different times over this particular issue, and was also given a number/extension so that I could contact him about it.

This seems like a pretty ridiculous post... 'Yay Kaseya can us a phone, good for them!' but it is very refreshing and shows steps in the right direction.

Legacy Posted By Username: smartdolphins
  • Wow, that has never been my experience. On the other hand, when basically all of my support tickets end up at development and half of them are explained away instead of being resolved, that should throw some red flags at somebody, somewhere.

They proactively called you? That doesn't sound like the Kaseya I know and loathe. ;^)

Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro