Kaseya Community

3D group structure, like AD, missing?

• One of the listed Features of K2 I read up on some time ago was changing from a 2d "flat" group structure to an object based "AD-like" structure. I was VERY excited about this, as using agent templates is cumbersome, AND many options DON'T WORK in v5.1. For example, patch policy membership, patch scan SCHEDULE, etc, do not copy from a template to an agent during installation/creation. Only the following do, taken from the Deploy function:

"Check-in frequency, audit schedule, settings for the agent menu, logs, alerts, and all pending scripts from the selected account are applied to the new account the first time the new agent checks in.
    Copy settings from workstation._template if nothing selected."

Every time a new agent checks in, you have to alert on it, and have someone MANUALLY copy setting from the template, completely defeating the purpose. Now the K2 trainign vids claim that all settings are copied from a template to the agent during installation, but I have not been able to verify this. Plus, it still doesn't actively ensure an agent is following the rules or "policy" you want it to. It would be MUCH better to assign scripts, patch policy, etc at the group level much like you would assign a GPO to a security group in AD.

Maybe this trial is very barebones and doesn;t offer the feature, idk. Can anyone confirm, deny anything I've witnessed?

So far, I have only found 2 useful items in the trial that v5.1 doesn't have: nested If's and Liveconnect.

Legacy Forum Name: 3D group structure, like AD, missing?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • When you installed K2, you were given an option for Multiple Organizations or 1 Single Organization. I believe this is what you were referring to

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Charles.IN
    When you installed K2, you were given an option for Multiple Organizations or 1 Single Organization. I believe this is what you were referring to

Is there an option where you can change this setting?

Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett
  • Well I haven't installed K2, I only have access to the hosted trial currently. Still waiting for my K2 license.

So you are saying if I select multiple organizations during K2 installation, then I will be able to assign agent procedures, patch options, audits, etc to the GROUP, and all members of that group will obtain those settings?

• You can add new organizations under System > Orgs/Groups/Depts

It's not a "setting", more of a "how do you want this setup initially"

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Ok, so I kind of like the structuring now. Instead of having a parent group thats the name of the company, and then child groups for maybe locations, Iinstead you make the company an organization, then assign your "sites" as machine groups.

Example:
    Organization: KIS
    MachineGroup: Site1
    MachineGroup: Site2

Unfortunately, I do not see where I can assign "initial settings" as you describe or claim can be set. The only way I see to set those is with templates during agent installation. I really wish there was a way to say "If agent is a member of Orgranization KIS, it has patch policy "KIS Patch Policy". Currently, I have to manually go to the machine and copy settings from another agent =( Even if I could just associate a template to an org or machine group, such that agents in that org or machine group will have those template settings automatically copied from the template, that would work.

I could probably facilitate this wil server-side scripting, which was another feature I read about, but I do not see where I can create procedures that run server side, instead of agent side.

• I believe he is talking about the ability to assign settings to the machine group instead of the agent and the agents would inherit the machine group settings.

Nope.....you are not going to find that in this release.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • Well then I'm just looking forward to nested If's and the service desk then.
    Any confirmation on if infact all template settings are now applied to the agent at installation? Going back and applying patch policy and auto update schedule and 10 other things is a pain.
    Any confirmation on the server-side scripting? Being able to send notifications from a script when a machine is offline would be amazing.

• HI folks,

Just looking at K2 now and I noticed in the Create Agent setting there was an option to Set what looks like the "default settings for an agent"

Set Clear New accounts created in group ID itfocus.main copy settings from laptop.main.companyname
    Set Clear Accounts created in unassigned group IDs copy settings from unassigned

Is this not what we are looking for?

Also can i ask does anybody know the difference between this whole Org / Group / Dept rubbish compared to K2008 sub group option.

I hate the fact that in your drop down list of Machine group - it just has

mycompany
    mycompany.sales
    mycompany.finance

If we have 90 clients all with orgs that list will be ugly surely they could have had a another drop down with the sub groups defaulting to root or at least organised the drop down better.

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • This was available in v5.1 as well, it has not changed.

It does copy settings, only only some. It will copy your audit, scripts, and a few other minor things. It does not copy any patch settings, agent credentials, and lots of other useful settings. You have to manually use the copy settings function under agent to copy the rest.

I put in a ticket asking why, and if it can be added as a feature request. If server side scripting were available, I'd script the copying of the additional settings, but this is not available either!

• Just goes to show you how much attention I pay.

Heres me getting all excited about this new feature.

Cheers for that... obviously not as useful as I originally thought.

• Nope. In the K2 agent webinar, it gives you the impression that they copy all settings now, but I tested in Kaseya's hosted trial of K2, and it's exactly the same.

There was a page on Kaseya's site back in july-august timeframe when K2 was first announced, that showed the new features that would be available. Take about 3/4 of them and forget about them. They aren't in K2 =(

I have already submitted feature requests for my top three I was expecting, which include the group assignments of settings w/inhertience to the members of that group, server side scripting, and copy template settings to the agent (all of them or allow me to pick which ones i want).

Kaseya did a great job on the customer facing portions, such as the liveconnect. My helpdesk will get a huge benefit from this. But The only benefit from a management perspective, aka managing this server and making use of what it should be capable of, is nested if's in agent procedures. I haven't gone through everything yet, but this is my impression thus far. I'm still going to be spedning hours each day "auditing" agent settings, monitor sets, etc. I'm almost tempted to write my own custom agent and web service to control my endpoints and just use kaseya for the helpdesk.

• This is very frustrating as this is something I asked numerous people about at the Kaseya convention last year, and was told it would definitely be a part of K2. I'm starting to have a hard time trusting anything I hear from them. It's a big problem for us try make sure 10 techs always remember to go in and copy settings in 4 or 5 different places every time an agent is installed, and if they don't there are pretty big ramifications like patching not occurring or not being alerted about viruses in KES.

Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • I'm looking for the original K2 feature list from last year. I want to mark off which items are in K2 and which aren't. I have a meeting with my VP and a Kaseya "director" next week for these items. I'm chasing this issue because any IT department and especially MSP's feel the pain of having to perform all this work manually.

My VP put it best yesterday. He said Kaseya was advertised by their sales team as a tool that will reduce the required manpower to manage systems. He bought it for this reason. Yet I spend much more time maintaining and auditing Kaseya settings then managing patches, making useful reports, ensuring machines are protection and runnign correctly, etc.

Again I love what Kaseya has done with Live connect and I'm sure i will like the service desk. But these few features are VITAL and have been neglected.

• on a positive note,

I do love the fact that you can now have variables collected at run time, so your engineer can enter variable values via a popup window when you run a script - this is super

Will make writing more generic scripts easier..