Kaseya Community

Where Is K2?

• TITaN, if bandwidth wasn't an issue with Kasey v5, it shouldn't be causing all these slowness complaints with K2. The old system used the Kserver as a constant "bridge" for the remote connection, but the connection was obviously still going over the client's internet connection as well. In K2 the direct connection should make it faster if anything, because if you have remote users using Live Connect they wouldn't be sucking up bandwidth whereever your Kserver is hosted, like they would have been in the past with v5.

If 3meg DSL isn't fast enough for Live Connect to make a decent connection then we are screwed because we have a bunch of clients on lines anywhere from 768k to 1.5meg still, and they don't want to change.

I wanted to do our K2 upgrade next Friday night, but after seeing complaint after complaint about major issues on this forum, I'm seriously rethinking it at this point. Very disappointing since it was so highly touted out in Vegas last summer. The way they sold it at that conference I thought we'd have been upgraded to it by November and things would be running pretty smoothly. Wishful thinking I guess.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kcears
  • This is extremely frustrating to read.

We reviewed Kaseya and N-able's solution and would have signed with N-able, however our sales person pointed out that N-central still does not have proper Microsoft patch management - which was one of the primary reasons for us to move to a platform like this - and purportedly N-able had been promising said feature for quite some time without delivering.

When I got the roundabout answer from the N-able sales person I did a complete re-evaluation of Kaseya and felt it was the stronger option of the two and the features of K2 impressed me further (although to be honest, the difference between the two products N-Central 7.0 and Kaseya 2 appear negligible).

Originally we weren't even going to roll out Kaseya 2008 as our sales rep told us the product would be available to us early January. But after that time period expired and I started reading end of January we marched forward with the old version so we could make a headway with our own company plans.

The features of K2 are important to us - as I do believe they will help us obtain our company goals easier, but I don't know if I will be upgrading to it on the day it's released after reading all this. I think I'd rather let others be guinea pigs a little longer first than torment myself, my team and my clients with a problematic solution when we are promising them a remarkable improvement in their services as a result of our investment in the Kaseya product.

Legacy Posted By Username: justX
  • justX - your plans to wait for others to shake out the bugs is a wise one! I came onboard with Kaseya in Mar 2008, just as they released their new 2008 version. I found lots of bugs, which really slowed me down as a new user. Maybe your time would be better spent installing this newest K2 version and using it solely to test with, learn how it works etc. Good luck!

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • TITaN
    I hate to read these comments....... Our company is moving to K2 as soon as K2 support provides the new software.

In regards to the slowness of Live Connect are you sure your remote sites have the bandwidth to support the remote control session? I know in K2 Remote access has changed and no longer goes through the Kserver but it is a direct connection from your machine to the end user you are trying to support. A lot of small to medium sized businesses we support are still rolling with DSL at 3MB and if any of the end users are streaming music or what have you they lose bandwidth quick and our remote sessions with them via vnc or logmein are slowwwwwwww.

I would like to see some of the Firewall logs from both ends and see if maybe a security service or software AV is the guilty party. Also throw a packet sniffer on the network and see what it comes up with.

We have used the Live connect in the beta versions of K2 and it worked really well. Of course most of the Live Connect sessions were from our internal network.

I assure you bandwidth is not an issue as I am in a colo facility with plenty of bandwidth for our systems. Nothing else we run production wise runs slow like K2. We have an Exch 2007 server, connectwise, online backup servers, etc with no issues. And no the online backups do not run during the daytime Smile. I was told by the tech I was dealing with (won't mention any names) that the K2 Liveconnect is still going through the K server for remote connections. It is not closing the bridge between the two computers once the session is started. I really believe he knew what he was talking about as he seemed like a pretty knowledgable guy. He said he did not know if/when the promised bridge connection was coming. I asked the K techs to check out the system the way we have it setup and they find no faults (according to two of them). My advice to all is wait at least a month or two before putting this is in production. It is not ready as is and it is definitely not what we were expecting regarding remote control. It would really be nice if one of the K techs would give an update as to whether the bridge function of LiveConnect will be implemented with K2 GA or if it is just not in the plans as of now. Again I am really frustrated with the fact that to get our business our sales rep said we had a logmein type remote control coming 6 months ago and yet I still have a slow remote connectivity solution.

Legacy Posted By Username: patrickl78
  • Charles.IN

My only complaint has been the slow UI when using Internet Explorer. This is understandable however when you understand how the new UI is crafted and the fact that IE sucks when rendering JavaScript/AJAX

I gotta say, reguardless of IE sucking at rendering AJAX/JavaScript, You have to make it work. No use in making a web tool that doesn't work and blame it on the browser. If it doesn't work in IE then don't develop it for IE, or develop something that works.

I'm not blaming either Microsoft nor Kaseya here but it's like putting a honda engine in a semi truck and saying "Blame the engine" when it takes 2 hours to go 5 miles.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • Oh I totally agree with you there.. I was just referencing the reason for the slowness... I agree fully that they should fix the slowness, one way or another

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Any date as yet, we are ready and have been since BETA with a new server ready to do a side by side migration to K2, will also help us tidy up our database etc

Legacy Posted By Username: Nathan Coulthard
  • According to the Account Reps, from their Kickoff meeting for the year, Feb 2 (Tomorrow morning?)

Guess we'll find out as today passes

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Charles.IN
    According to the Account Reps, from their Kickoff meeting for the year, Feb 2 (Tomorrow morning?)

Guess we'll find out as today passes

On the kaseya.com website if you click release notes under support, the K2 release notes come up etc.

• I got on the early adopter program - so far it has been "ok". Main issues seem to be remote control of Windows 7, and the previously mentioned unreliability of live connect. We did a side by side install into a new virtual machine, and transitioned our agents/scripts etc manually. I do find the interface is noticeably slower in IE versus firefox or even chrome.....

Legacy Posted By Username: clegga
  • Kaseya's recent email stated the release of K2 would also be a "rollout" of sorts, and you'll know you have it when you log into your server and it prompts you for the upgrade. I opened a ticket with Kaseya support to have 2 questions answered:

1. Is there a way to STOP the upgrade? I want to do a seperate standalone install on a new server (actually a cloud services virtual I will be leasing) and migrate my agents over after I have tested my configs, groups, scripts, etc.

2. If this is a rollout release, which we don't know when we'll receieve the "upgrade", then where do i get the standalone version to install on my new server?

The response from support was a reference to the new VSA installation and migration document, which is for version 5. Anyone have some insight on this? I tried calling support again, however the phones are swamped this morning, understandably.

Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • I sure don't want to install K2 till I am ready for it - and only after I sense that K has cleaned up the vast majority of the usual new-release bugs...

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • The way I read that was that you will get a notify that the update is available for download, not that you will be forced to install it.

During the controlled release program, you had to get assigned a new K2 enabled license key issued, without it, the upgrade would terminate saying your license was not valid for K2. Maybe that is going to be their throttling mechanisim to manage the support workload in case the download URL leaks out.

Legacy Posted By Username: smbtechnology
  • When will someone from Kaseya either post in this forum or on their website as to when this update will be released! For those of us who have been around for a while, we have been promised this for ever. The carrot keeps getting dangled!

I am sick and tired of receiving emails from Kaseya,"Get ready for K2", or "K2 is coming"......We were on the BETA program and had an RC installation of K2, and advised support of our side by side intentions, which I feel is the best way to migrate, and STILL cannot get into the controlled release, yet there are clearly some gung ho operators who went bull at a gate and upgraded their production systems, even with an RC system, and the complain that support can't answer their tickets.

Im not saying our way was going to be seemless or perfect, but some communiation on this front from Kaseya would be nice, or even just a response to the tickets raised on the issue!

• eNodRx fhlyatvhzmsi, mjgmgekstyzy, rhtublizlgeo, http://xtmafwniebzr.com/

[edited by: Anonymous at 9:07 PM (GMT -8) on 1-5-2011] eNodRx fhlyatvhzmsi, mjgmgekstyzy, rhtublizlgeo, http://xtmafwniebzr.com/