Kaseya Community

Stolen Laptop

• boblzer0
    wouldn't you just look it up on whatismyip.com or something? it should tell you the location and the provider.

I was just thinking of automating it but yes you could easily look up the info.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: akoop
  • akoop
    Does anyone have a script created that will map the IP address?

Ask Benjamin for the experimantal Google Maps plugin.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCG
  • A google map plugin now that would be handy !!

We have just started tracking a laptop that went missing 12 days ago from a clients house... Looks like they did a partial system restore so our K is still there rock solid.. Ive been waiting nearly 6 years for K to do its thing with a stolen machine... Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: NERDPWR
  • NERDPWR
    A google map plugin now that would be handy !!

We have just started tracking a laptop that went missing 12 days ago from a clients house... Looks like they did a partial system restore so our K is still there rock solid.. Ive been waiting nearly 6 years for K to do its thing with a stolen machine... Smile

If you need help let me know. Do you have a keylogger, screen capture, audio recording, IP logging and all that going?

Legacy Posted By Username: CCG
  • NERDPWR
    A google map plugin now that would be handy !!

Got an update for the rest of the forum? Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Benjamin.Lavalley@kaseya.com
  • Update is.. Client has their laptop back and a well organised thief has got himself into a heap of hot water !!!.... All this done by utilising most of what you guys have posted in this thread... Smile We even got ourselves some media... http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/330818/it_service_provider_outwits_burglars

Legacy Posted By Username: NERDPWR

[edited by: Anonymous at 7:52 AM (GMT -8) on 12-29-2010] Still would like to know how to connect Kaseya to google maps or google earth. I know it has been done before but just do not know how :-)
  • I am glad your problem is solved :-)

I am however still curious about the google map plugin. I know it exists but dobn;t have a clue how to create it. I think the web api or database view should be able to create a file which can be used from the google earth application?

Most helpdesk tools have this fucntionality however i think native v6 should be able to do it too.

Is there anyone who can help me how to do this ?

• I'm currently trying to track down a stolen laptop and I have tried the majority of the scripts that Ben provided in the stolen laptop zip file.  However, the stolen laptop does not have a webcamera or internal mic so its hard to verify who actually has it.  So I have been looking at the keylogger script that Ben posted, and I was wondering if anyone has developed one that uses a open source key logger or if anyone else has any ideas of getting information that could verify the person.

Thanks

• Randall

You can get the connection gateway address of the machine which you 'may' be able to trace back via an ISP.  You should be able to use the Screen Shot option in quick view to take a screen shot of what's on the users screen at any given time.  You could also create a procedure to do the same thing but schedule it in for every 15 minutes.  Eventually you're bound to catch them on Facebook, Twitter or similar.

• Alistair

Thanks for the advice we are currently taking those measures.  We are just trying to get more information with the investigation.  

• Desktop screenshots are usually all that is needed (collect every 1 minute).

You should only save the webcam script for AFTER you're quite sure who has stolen it - there is a chance they'll figure out what is going on.

The legality of the webcam/microphone recording is also up in the air depending on your state/province/country's laws. As crazy as it sounds, it could be a bit of a legal issue to use your OWN laptop remotely to turn on the webcam/mic to find out who the thief is.

• Ben,

Thanks for the insight  on what should be done, and the laptop don't have a internal Mic or webcamera so we were just testing those scripts on a office machine to see how well they worked.

Thanks!

• Can someone share the folder of scripts that ben created for stolen laptop/computer?