Kaseya Community

"Downstream IT" for Kaseya?

• I have a client for whom it might make sense to give them direct access to Kaseya to do limited management of their own PCs.

ConnectWise has "Downstream IT" to handle that sort of thing. Is there anything in Kasweya that is in any way analogous to that?

Obviously I could just set up a separate user ID with limited rights. Has anyone else done that? Any booby-traps I should be aware of?

/kenw

Legacy Forum Name: "Downstream IT" for Kaseya?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Ken Wallewein
  • We have create about 15 accounts - for people from from IT staff to Sr. Management. Each only has access to only their Machine Groups.

It has been more for sales-related purposes - them just wanted to know more about the system, and what it does. They talked about being able to do things themselves, but in reality, they usually don't do anything.

We have 2 people who handle a good amount of their own patch management.

We periodiclaly hold introductory training classes - which we require before giving access. Just warn them that, if they "mess" around, and break anything, fixing it is on a T&M basis.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • we do it with several clients and it works great. we just give them access to their group. It is actually pretty awesome - you just restrict them to their group and only give the access to what they need. We are careful about giving them anything they can use to break themselves with.

Erik

Legacy Posted By Username: nachbahr
  • I hope you guys are "charging" for this feature (or making it up elsewhere). When I have a client who needs this type of access, I explain to them that I can give it to them, but its a per user cost. Or in other cases, where the client has his own IT staff, I'll just sell him use of some of my licenses (per license cost). Either way I figure it cost me $$'s to support any type of admin access, and I make sure I pass that cost to the client (fairly of course!).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • boudj
    I hope you guys are "charging" for this feature (or making it up elsewhere). When I have a client who needs this type of access, I explain to them that I can give it to them, but its a per user cost. Or in other cases, where the client has his own IT staff, I'll just sell him use of some of my licenses (per license cost). Either way I figure it cost me $$'s to support any type of admin access, and I make sure I pass that cost to the client (fairly of course!).

When we do give this type of access, we lock the account down heavily so that they can only do a few things. For this, we charge $5/account/month.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • We have a particular monthly plan for this; the client gets access to Kaseya (with strict limitations) so they can do their own patch management and what-have-you, and they get a discount for when they run into something too big to handle themselves and want us to take over.

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • ditto to the above mentioned posts. No pitfalls as of yet.....

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • We allow some of our clients access to their group only. No problems except for at one place where a particular higher level employee, the former onsite IT (whose husband also happens to work for our only area MSP competition) has used the remote control function and "accidently" done things such as disabled NICs in servers and other such accidental inciddents that caused us no end of trouble.

So be careful what you open up.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • I have also done this for one of our "sister" companies to VNC to a client remotely while waiting for a site static IP address... BUT... I thought "sub-letting" of Kaseya was against the Kaseya Licensing Agreement ??

Legacy Posted By Username: carey-pccare
  • Not for MSP's... The sales guys even encouraged this.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • gotta be careful about this type of setup to make sure you still conform to Kaseya's EULA. We do this as well, provding a client POC with a limited account in to the system, however there are limitations that Kaseya has when it comes to what you can do here (i think the big thing is you cannot "re-sell" access in to your system to other providers).

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • Also take a close look at what you are giving them access to so they can't edit your public script, monitors, etc.

We allow some clients access to manage parts of their systems as long as we still maintain overall monitoring and control

Legacy Posted By Username: karode