Kaseya Community

What is the COOLEST thing you've done with Kaseya?

• One client had a laptop stolen by a recently terminated employee. The laptop contained sensitive client documents (they are a law firm). When the laptop came online somewhere, I was able to push BUDR to it, grab a backup and replicate it back to my site with the offsite feature. (It was over 10GB of data, so I don't think the FTP feature would've handled it). Then I deleted the sensitive data from the laptop. All the while, the thief had no idea what was going on.

The laptop was eventually recovered. Once the former employee found out that we had that kind of control over it, she decided it wasn't worth keeping.

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jim@blacktuskgroup.com
  • Resistance2Fly

VERY COOL!

Excellent work Resistance2Fly!!! Big Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • chris@busy.co.nz
    Doug,

Any chance you could help us set up that calendar for the ticketing?

Chris

I would love to be able to view tickets this way, any chance of a quick howto?

Legacy Posted By Username: richardprice
  • Our customer had a laptop stolen.
    My initial brief was to use Kaseya to get the asset details so the customer could claim the stolen laptop on insurance.

BUT the latop was online. I quickly setup a monitor to email me the time and gateway address every tme the agent came online.
    After a few hours and agent coming online from the same gateway address quite a few time, we found the ISP.
    This was a local ISP and we have a very good relationship with them. I filled them in on what was happening.
    Informed the customer they could call the police (we didn't want to be the one initiating the police call). Supplied the details regarding the login times. And supplied the information regarding the ISP including who to talk to.

The police got the physical address from the ISP and had the laptop in their posession within 24 hours of the initial call to us.

Side Note: The police held the laptop as evidence for almost 3 months while the case was being heard. So the customer did not get their laptop back quickly.
    When the customer did eventually get it back we knew about it because I got an Agent Online alert

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • One of my clients was broken into and they stole all the workstations on December 28th, 2008. Oddly enough this client is only on T&M. But since I'd just replaced all the workstations, I installed Kaseya agents on them to promote very fast resolution of any problems. So a total of 11 systems were stolen 5 old and 6 new (with Kaseya agents installed). On December 30th one system was online for a minute or two. I reported the gateway IP address to the local police detective. On March 13th another system came online. This time I again reported the gateway IP address to the detective. The detective was able to get a warrant and search the residence. On March 17th the detective called me and asked me to identify/claim the system. Both systems had been connected to the same physical internet connection. After the detective talked with the person, he seems to have just received the stolen goods. But the person has been very cooperative and now the detective has some additioanl leads to follow up on.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • Here's my second post for coolest thing! Big Smile

So for all of our clients that have AD networks I created an installation script that performs the following:

* Checks to see if Kaseya is installed, if it is exits the installers
    * If a certain "allowed" file is present, only install Kaseya on machines with names listed in that file
    * If a certain "denied" file is present, Kaseya won't be installed on any machine with name listed within
    * Using an external VBScript file I created, determines if the machine is a desktop, laptop or server
    * Installs one of three Kaseya install files (desktop.exe, laptop.exe and server.exe)

All the above is added to GPO logon script so they run every time someone logs into their computer. The three Kaseya installer files use embedded credentials so they are always installed with admin privileges.

Of course, I ran into a problem. Since I saved the Kaseya agents to the client server when Kaseya updates the agent version I needed to visit each server and download three new files. I did that once...

Doing this once led me to create an automatic installer that moved all of my above logon scripts to the server in addition to creating shares, permissions, etc. In addition, it also created a registry key with the local path of the share (oh, the share is to where the installer scripts and patch updates are processed from) and an INI file with the ID of each of the agent files.

This of course led me to create another utility that when executed on the server, it reads the INI file and downloads new Kaseya agent files based on their unique INI number. Now I can update all of my Agent installs within minutes automatically!

Okay, so that's two cool things! Well, maybe three, not sure.

Legacy Posted By Username: lowray1975
  • lowray1975
    Here's my second post for coolest thing! Big Smile

So for all of our clients that have AD networks I created an installation script that performs the following:

* Checks to see if Kaseya is installed, if it is exits the installers
    * If a certain "allowed" file is present, only install Kaseya on machines with names listed in that file
    * If a certain "denied" file is present, Kaseya won't be installed on any machine with name listed within
    * Using an external VBScript file I created, determines if the machine is a desktop, laptop or server
    * Installs one of three Kaseya install files (desktop.exe, laptop.exe and server.exe)

All the above is added to GPO logon script so they run every time someone logs into their computer. The three Kaseya installer files use embedded credentials so they are always installed with admin privileges.

Of course, I ran into a problem. Since I saved the Kaseya agents to the client server when Kaseya updates the agent version I needed to visit each server and download three new files. I did that once...

Doing this once led me to create an automatic installer that moved all of my above logon scripts to the server in addition to creating shares, permissions, etc. In addition, it also created a registry key with the local path of the share (oh, the share is to where the installer scripts and patch updates are processed from) and an INI file with the ID of each of the agent files.

This of course led me to create another utility that when executed on the server, it reads the INI file and downloads new Kaseya agent files based on their unique INI number. Now I can update all of my Agent installs within minutes automatically!

Okay, so that's two cool things! Well, maybe three, not sure.

Nice! I'm particularly curious about that vbs script that sorts out desktop/laptop/server... mind explaining it or sharing it? I've wondered how to sort that one out myself!

Legacy Posted By Username: fisofo
  • Sure thing! It's not the prettiest code, but it does the job!

You see it uses three different exit codes to specify which OS is running:

1003 - Server
    1002 - Desktop
    1001 - Laptop

It doesn't default to anything (if for some reason the type can't be determined) as I handle that in the install script I mentioned above.

'Help Now Consulting
    'http://www.help-now.com/
    'Josh Cook

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    OS_Product_Name = objShell.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName")
    OS_Product_Type = objShell.RegRead("HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductType")
    Set objShell = Nothing

'Test for Windows 2003 Server (and hopefully above)
    If InStr(1, OS_Product_Name, "server", 1) Then

WScript.Echo("Server")
    WScript.Quit(1003)

End If

'Test for Windows 2003 Server
    If InStr(1, OS_Product_Name, "windows 2000", 1) And LCase(OS_Product_Type) <> "winnt" Then

WScript.Echo("Server (Windows 2000)")
    WScript.Quit(1003)

End If

strComputer = "."
    ComputerType = "|"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colChassis = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")

For Each objChassis in colChassis

For Each strChassisType in objChassis.ChassisTypes

ComputerType = ComputerType & strChassisType & "|"

Next

Next

If InStr(ComputerType, "|8|") Or InStr(ComputerType, "|9|") Or InStr(ComputerType, "|10|") Or InStr(ComputerType, "|11|") Or InStr(ComputerType, "|14|") Then

WScript.Echo("Laptop")
    WScript.Quit(1001)

Else

WScript.Echo("Desktop")
    WScript.Quit(1002)

End If

• awesome, thanks! Should have known it was stored in WMI somewhere Roll Eyes

Legacy Posted By Username: fisofo
  • Maybe not the coolest, but one of the most useful, one of our guys wrote a script to restart a machine in safe mode with networking. I can't count how many times I've used that...

Legacy Posted By Username: Leadfoot
  • Okay, that is cool (and useful). Do you mind sharing it?!

• Actually that script already is posted in these forums. Search safe mode to find it.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • would anyone be willing to provide assistance, or lead me in the rights direction to setup the calendar ticketing?

Legacy Posted By Username: jsun
  • lowray1975
    Sure thing! It's not the prettiest code, but it does the job![/CODE]

Thanks Josh, that script is great!

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy