Kaseya Community

Linux Support ETA?

• I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent estimates on when we might see improved Linux support, both from the tech and agent sides.

I recall seeing the press release last year that better Mac and linux agent support was on the road map, but it isn't terribly specific on when we might actually see that. Many of our clients are in an environment that would benefit from the remote/citrix workers using linux workstations but we hesitate to deploy them extensively until remote control and management is simpler for our help desk level technicians. Basic scripting / remote control / alerting would be our primary desires in the linux agent, so that we could provide everything from advanced scripting and proactive monitoring to basic help desk end user support of the linux workstation market.

As an MSP using Kaseya, we would also really like to see the ability to smoothly use Kaseya's web interface from a linux computer's web browser without having to perform so many workarounds to get remote control working somewhat smoothly. Are there any future plans to move away from ActiveX towards something more platform independent?

With the general dislike of Vista, a good Kaseya linux agent could go a long ways towards encouraging business deployments of linux desktops, so here's to hoping you guys can put out a good agent! Big Smile

Legacy Forum Name: Linux Support ETA?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: csharpjmark
  • Is there a chance that someone from Kaseya can respond?

Legacy Forum Name: General Discussion,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MGray
  • bump =)

Your website still suggests that this is in the pipeline somewhere. Having a fully integrated remote control would greatly increase the feasibility of pushing linux workstations in managed services environments.

• We REALLY need a Linux/Unix agent for Kaseya. Like yesterday. This is becoming more and more of a roadblock for us.

Also, a OSX agent that actually works correctly. Like being able to remote control a OSX machine that is at the login prompt. Stuff like that.

Yes, it's a Windows world. But, more and more clients are becoming diverse. The more time these clients use stuff other than Windows to more it grows too. First it's 1 macbook pro then suddenly it's 10, then it's half the company.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Hey K... stick with focusing on the mainstream (90% of the marketplace) and stop worrying about investing too much time on the lower end of the marketplace (the remaining 10%). This model has worked out great for Microsoft!!!

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Let's keep it on the friendly!

But here's another bump... We'd love to be able to roll out more Linux based workstations! A deb and an rpm that installed an agent capable of at least basic management and remote control would be very useful!

• Is there any updates on this issue? I have a many servers that I am to monitor and a kaseya agent would be a great improvement.

Legacy Posted By Username: mradloff
  • boudj
    Hey K... stick with focusing on the mainstream (90% of the marketplace) and stop worrying about investing too much time on the lower end of the marketplace (the remaining 10%). This model has worked out great for Microsoft!!!

So in other words there will be no Linux agents???

Legacy Posted By Username: manchellom
  • Hell if I know... but it would seems to me that supporting all the different versions of linux (and lets face it, there are as many version of Linux as therer are models of cars!) would be difficult to keep up with and require some dedicated resources to handle. Considering that I'd rather see those resources used to better/improve (and hell yes provide better tech support) the core K product in the WIndows world.

Now what would be interesting is if K came out with a "generic" client that could easily be modified by Linux users to fit their version of Linux. This would also follow with the Linux mindset.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I'll throw hat into the ring for support on this. There are a lot of times when we don't get to choose what our customers have. We take over support from another company, and there's a room full of Linux boxes in there. Ditching them isn't an option, but we can't provide full monitoring of them by any means with Kaseya at this point either. Having a Linux agent with the ability to show online/offline status, memory and disk usage would be a great start. If we can use those agents to execute Linux scripts, all the better.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • boudj has a point, I think, about supporting multiple distros. I think a planned implementation path would be good. Something like:
    Step 1 - Add auditing, monitoring, and script support
    Step 2 - Add secure shell RC
    Step 3 - Add presentation layer RC

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • on the bright side, the 2009 roadmap has the following listed:

Client Side: Kaseya OS Agents
    New operating system support is coming:
    • Linux; Generalized
    • Unix; HP/UX, Sun Solaris, AIX
    • Mobile Agents; Windows, Apple, Symbian
    • Specialty Agents
    - Service Agents; allowing multiple agents
    to exist in tandem
    - Virtual Machine Agents. These are subset
    of Host-based agents.

• /bump

Come on Kaseya, give the people what they want and make Live Connect and Remote Control work in Linux please!!!!

• Live Connect will be supported for linux in the next general release following .28.