Kaseya Community

Updating to Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 in VSA

This question is answered

Hello all--

How are others updating to Windows 10 Feature Update 2004 in VSA ?  In the past, for other feature updates, these were available in Kaseya Automation Exchange, but, there does not seem to be any for going to 2004.  Any help would be apricated to get me pointed in the right direction...thanks in advance!!

Verified Answer
  • The above answer is correct - use that procedure.

However, you can edit the getURL to download the following:

In the event that those links have or will change, you should do the following:

Put a copy of the 2004 .iso file on a network share.

write procedure to:

copy the .iso to the local computer drive

use powershell to mount the .iso

run setup.exe on the mounted drive   (you can run setup.exe /? to get whatever flags you want to use)

Here is a partial example:

• run shellcommand mkdir c:\temp
    • execute powershell command copy \\networkshare\path\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso c:\temp\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso
    • execute powershell command  Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath "c:\temp\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso" | Get-Volume
    • run shellcommand  g:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /quiet /showoobe none /copylogs c:\temp

The only bit I haven't got fully worked out is how to ouput Get-Volume to a variable that I can use for the last line. or maybe you can specify a drive letter in the mount-diskimage command?  not sure yet.

All Replies
  • @sstefan - check this out on Automation Exchange. I have asked some questions about this and have received a couple of responses. I haven't tested it yet in my lab environment. I would like to see someone update the procedure with the recommendations and fixes posted in the discussion thread and have it perform a backup and/or system restore point before proceeding with the OS upgrade, update Rapid Technology driver, and check to make sure that the target Win10 machine has at least 20 GB free before proceeding and if not terminate the procedure and provide that info.

• There is a script on the Automation Exchange that we're using and it seems to work. The script pulls down the MS updater onto the machine and runs it. Despite the name of the updater, in fact it updates to the latest Feature Release (the machine I last tested updated to 20H2). Perhaps I should say that they _usually_ update to the latest. There do seem to be instances for very old versions of Win 10 where a machine updates to 1903 first.

The biggest issue is AV. McAfee in particular will make the update fail (although it does this however you try to update - it's just that running it manually locally you get the error objecting to McAfee).

• I forgot to paste the link to the procedure on Automation Exchange... sorry. Here it is...

automationexchange.kaseya.com/.../620

• Hello sstefan there are a number of procedures available on Automation Exchange that run through the install of Windows 10 feature editions. The process uses the Windows10 upgrade assistant to do the work and will update the windows 10 build to the latest release.

It did allow to install specified releases at one stage but now it will always install the latest/current edition.

The one below was created by the Kaseya Automation team and will do some checks before updating - checks space available and license.

automationexchange.kaseya.com/.../671

• The above answer is correct - use that procedure.

However, you can edit the getURL to download the following:

In the event that those links have or will change, you should do the following:

Put a copy of the 2004 .iso file on a network share.

write procedure to:

copy the .iso to the local computer drive

use powershell to mount the .iso

run setup.exe on the mounted drive   (you can run setup.exe /? to get whatever flags you want to use)

Here is a partial example:

• run shellcommand mkdir c:\temp
    • execute powershell command copy \\networkshare\path\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso c:\temp\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso
    • execute powershell command  Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath "c:\temp\Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso" | Get-Volume
    • run shellcommand  g:\setup.exe /auto upgrade /quiet /showoobe none /copylogs c:\temp

The only bit I haven't got fully worked out is how to ouput Get-Volume to a variable that I can use for the last line. or maybe you can specify a drive letter in the mount-diskimage command?  not sure yet.

• Karl HAgue's answer on this thread, with the links, is correct:

automationexchange.kaseya.com/.../620