Kaseya Community

Roadmap for 9.6

• Appreciate the feedback - we have a lot of clients who enjoy our remote products and the developments coming.

Traverse should be ready for you early 2019 after our beta process happening now.

• I have an issue with paying for monitoring licences. Monitoring is a basic function of VSA and needs to be included in the base price.....that's what we signed up for on day 1..

not we have classic monitoring, KNM (Which was marketed heavily as the hottest thing since sliced bread when it came out), and now traverse.

KNM is OK at the basic level, with 'free' monitoring if you have an agent installed, but it costs a full agent license just to monitor a printer or a firewall or a UPS. It's also not well integrated into the product (e.g. can't be controlled by policy, has it's own internal UI, it's own credential management, etc.) - clearly it's not a seamless integration, rather just a separate product that was just dropped into a module window & loosely linked to discovery.

I suppose I am not averse to paying for monitoring of, say, a VMWare server....but basic monitoring of simple SNMP devices (printers, soho routers, etc.) should be included.

PRTG is free for 100 sensors. That's what we use instead of almost doubling our annual Kaseya licence costs to check on a few toner levels and pick up on DSL & VPN dropouts from routers.

• Agree with Craig, that KNM was provided as greatest thing and then it's being replaced with a paid module doing what KNM was supposed to do.

Also when is 9.5.0.17 being released been over a month since release 9.5.0.16

Andy

• Agree with Craig too.

And the issue is that with all those changes, Kaseya is slowly becoming just a Device Inventory System.

Network monitoring moves to Passler PRTG (no updates to Monitoring, KNM is dead, if Traverse follows the trend, it will be replaced by something else soon)

Remote Control moves to Teamviewer.

Antivirus moves to Symantec / Trend Micro / others (Application and Device control is a must and the Kaseya application block does not cut it)

Backup moves to Veeam (or anything else)

Ticketing moves to xxx we moved from Ticketing to Service Desk and now there's BMS so I guess no more functions, improvements to both Ticketing or Service Desk.

Patching moves to Microsoft (can only decide to "delay patches" from W10 and on so what's the point..)

Kaseya's value is decreasing every year because for the same or more cost the number of products you can use either the 2005 versions (including bugs) or a patchwork environment made by multiple non-Kaseya systems.

Very far from the view of an integrated system that does most of what is needed.

Sure you could also buy the new modules that periodically pop out but they often get replaced by something else (Ticketing -> Service Desk -> BMS,  Monitoring->KNM->Traverse) so it is risky invest when the money could go on a product that is considered "Core" by the company that makes it.

Passler for example is 15 years in the market, you know they won't drop support / development of their PRTG after 1 year (plus they offer perpetual licenses so even if they do, you may eventually not care)

I would love to see a change in this trend.. our Kaseya installation is slowly disappearing by itself :-(

• - It pains me to say you're brutally honest post does ring true.

It's in my nature to see the positive and trusting Kaseya to do as they say and I really believe that at the time someone from Kaseya tells me what's going to happen and how things are going to go, it feels honest and true. So, it's not a deliberate ruse to trick us, pointing to serious Kaseya issues. Every Connect speech has promised to change and accelerate the way Kaseya is developed and maintained. For the last 3 years old coding has been pointed to as the main culprit for the slow rate of change and it's understandable in a way.

So, the question becomes when you stop believing and when you start to become annoyed and I bet the majority of long time users have reached that point some time ago. The next question is the important one. When does your annoyance carry you over to a new product. When are you sufficiently numbed by too many promises of doing better, that you don't mind the time and effort to just give up and move on. Sure, that's different for us users what you expect and get from Kaseya and it all depends on what you actively need.

I admit your list of alternative software is almost identical to ours. Some small differences remain:

Default Remote control is still Kaseya, although I don't like it and never have. After 3 years it's still meh. Teamviewer is used for non-Kaseya customers and as fallback option. The On Demand feature never gets used by us.

AntiVirus is mostly KAV, but rapdily becoming Webroot, for which integration is getting better and better in Kaseya and is a much lighter product to manage. KAV is and has been a mess for years.

Backup for us is SolarWinds and Veeam, although I believe the current Kaseya option is quite OK.

Ticketing has never been in Kaseya and BMS is too American and not much use to us.

Patching is supposed to be on the brink of becoming in Software Management what it should've been all along. That's providing the november patch for Kaseya actually releases, where new stuff is supposed to come out. Patch Management is a relic, not suitable for Windows 10 or 2016 at all. Unfortunately at the moment it's still a lot better designed in what it can do for Win 7, 8.1 and 2008 - 2012R2. So, waiting for the promised land of Software Management that can become real in a week or so, but is more probably still months and months away.

• Still no 9.5.0.17 patch or even a mention of when it might come. Supposedly wasn't released due to quality issues!

But they are wanting to charge me an extra 5% on my maintenance for 2019!!

I don't actually like being negative about things but as other on this list comment on, we are all starting to use other products to do the things that Kaseya was supposed to do, that I don't see how they can expect to charge more.

• It would really help if Kaseya would tell us when patches will come out, a few days before they release them. Now, you're always surprised when they arrive and if they do according to the monthly schedule.

Planning installation and downtime can be problematic, the sooner you know, the better you can plan.

• 9.5.0.17 is finally out. I had to reboot my VSA server & reapply schema to get it to work properly.

• OK, finally, just a month late and with a big bunch of changes. Good to know what was needed to get it to work, both actions have been needed before to get a new patch to stick... Some things I noticed...

Some Software Management fixes as promised, although not as complete as I heard before.

LIve Connect reconnect logic on a lost connection, like a reboot, although 5 minutes can be too short on some machines. For us that reconnect should cover at least 90% of the machines. A System variable would have given us users some way to account for our use case. If I think about Windows Updates, that can take a long time for a reboot to complete, so 5 minutes seems a bit on the short side....

I notice an issue being solved, we ran into a few times over the past few weeks. Old 9.4 agents that sometimes get installed by mistake or come online after spending the past year in some closet, couldn't be updated to the new 9.5 agent version. So, that took manual action to fix and is now automatic again with this patch.

And last but not least, there's a new version of KAV \ Kaspersky again, v10 SP2 MR3, and I'm very grateful we won't be dealing with that mess again

• The reconnect is pretty poor. It's not LC reconnect, it's RC session reconnect only. The 1 minute wait and 5 minute timeouts are also poor choices, compared to competing products, which reconnect the moment the agent is back up.

The KAV update is nice, it's a shame the newsletter didn't announce that this was forthcoming - would have been very nice to arrange client rollout windows over the new year period - a lost opportunity for us.

SM we don't use very much, i'll re-test it now...but we already found a showstopper problem due to a typo of the word Thursday, so no progress here for us in SM, as yet.

Good news is no new bugs, thus far. Always a positive :)

• Good to know - thanks for the update. The list of fixes is long, so if there are no new bugs, the update is a step in the right direction.

It's a shame to hear the SM module is still not usable. It's been with us for over a year and if it's still not acceptable that's very poor. That seems to be a root problem for Kaseya. When a module is poor at launch they seem entirely unable to get it's fundamental flaws fixed. There must be so much pressure on the guys doing the actual development, they can't be spared to deal with flaky modules. Kaseya seems to be happy with developing so-so modules and moving on.

Can I make a suggestion to Kaseya management to let all customers grade the different modules. Attach more weight to grades by bigger or more active clients (like Customer Success Council members). Measure who uses what module and study the results long and hard. I can think of some good questions....

That should tell you a lot about what modules need work and what actually works well. Don't forget to ask what module your customers want upgraded the most.

• I spoke to my Customer Success Rep today to say goodbye really.

In 2004 we started with Kaseya being on version 2.0 (no NOT K2 , well before that)

I have told them i'm no longer interested in continuing my maintenance contract.

So many promises where not kept, tickets where not fixed after years of complaining and because

the post of Allesandro hit the nail on the head.

So at the end of the contract we will keep Kaseya as it's an on premises owned edition.

What really struck me that when i complained my sails rep told me his hands where tied and they couldn't do anything about it.

I told him still no 9.6, and then he told me there's not going to be a 9.6, it will be patch releases from now on only every so many weeks. Just as Micrsooft is doing with Windows 10 he told me.

I said i couldn't believe 9.6 was not coming with the announcement in November, but he repeated his words.

The other thing that amazed me is that he even did not try to keep me on-board.

So in a few months no more updates for us, on the other hand, no more new bugs.....

• Hey evp, I've also been using since 2005.  After 14 years considering that it's time to leave as well.  First few years, some great progress.  Then a number of years of Great Promises that didn't happen.  Now I don't even see promises that make any sense to me.

My interpretation of Kaseya at this point is that they are in a position to collect what money they can from it, but it has no future.  I'm using what I can from it and looking for another future.

• This is interesting to read that, as I struggled to make a decision to come back or not to Kaseya. I was also an early user of Kaseya, but left the product in 2010 after a merger. I was really satisfied at the time with it. I purchased it again this year, after another reorganisation of our charity.

My first impression with sales, was not great, with a lot of manipulation and pressure tactics to justify themselves as being at the top of their game. If it was not from the fact that I was a previous user, and was happy with what was there at the time, I would not have carried on the conversation.

Being on the other side of the purchase, I can see that they have added additional modules, but many of them are poorly integrated or not at all, which was not really in line with their "one pane of glass" claim. My other disappointment was the lack of support for Macs, with no AV or Anti-Malware option according to sales.

All in all, it still does what I was expecting 10 years ago, but I noticed that they missed the opportunity to be innovative and improve the product, over the time I was not using their software.

•  -  Check, your observations are right on the money....