Kaseya Community

LAN Cache Question

• We currently use Patch Management to do all of our windows patching and have not yet migrated to Software Management Module. When I click the Clear Cache button does not seem to do any. It says it ran successfully but the folder size never goes down. Can I just manually clear out that folder or does that cause all sorts of other issues? I have folders in there with create dates going back to when we deployed the Server and I know we have cleared the cache since then. If I can delete files from there without causing any issues, what issues has anyone ran into writing an Agent Procedure to periodically clear that out?

I have checked several clients and they are all seeming to have the same behavior. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

• So I was just directed to this link. It has the information that I needed.

helpdesk.kaseya.com/.../229039388-LAN-cache-folder-clean-up

• Yeah I just wrote up a quick procedure to delete everything in the LanCache folders. I only run this procedure monthly, not really necessary to run it any more frequent in my opinion. Even monthly is probably too often. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to get only my LanCache hosts into a view all in their own. I apply the procedure to all my end points. If you do this, make sure you name your LanCache folder something unique.

I noticed as well that the built in clean up tools don't function, like "delete after use" (however that's written out in policies). I wish they would hide broken tools.

• One thing to keep in mind is that the "Delete after use" setting is specifically targetted at the *endpoints* not the LanCache.  As the updates aren't actually run *from* the LanCache, rather the endpoints copy the updates over to a local temporary directory, and then run them.  So the delete after use setting *does* work, it deletes the update from the local temporary directory on the endpoints, but it leaves it in the LanCache.  

The primary reason for that is so that the patch is still there for the other machines on the network.

• Bro, excellent explaination. I had a sneaking suspicion that that may be the real use behind it but never really went anywhere to verify it. My primary concern was to keep the host from overflowing with held updates. I assumed that the endpoint using these files would clean up after themselves like how regular updates do their thing. Atleast I have that function enabled so that it does this. Sweet, thank you.