Audit of Office Versions is not correct

• Hi,

we currently have the following problem, the Software report is not correct, means, for example: One computer has an Office2003 Version, after 6 month the Computer is Upgraded to Office2010, Kaseya reports to this Computer Office2003 and Office2010. Does anybody know this problem and has a solution for it? We also have this problem with other Software products.

Thanks a lot.

Best regard, Oliver

• Make sure you have latest audits scheduled.

• The Support from Kaseya told us, this is due unclean deinstallation routine from MS Office Product, so we have to manually erase the license Keys in the registry. I wonder how bigger Company's do Softwareauditing, can not accept that manually Reg-Key's has to be deleted. Does anybody has another solution?

• We right scripts that remove the specific reg key

• I already thought, this is the only solution, thanks anyway

• Care to share the registry keys that need to be removed?

• Hi,

it is possible that Microsoft deliberately leaves the registration entries for Office 2003 - because Office 2010 was an "upgrade" that required a previous version. if this is the case, then Kaseya is just reporting what Microsoft has created.

But I understand that this is not what you'd like to see in the report.

• I recently went through this same thing with Kaseya support.  The keys you need to look for are in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\X.0  (only on 64-bit machines I think)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\X.0

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Office\X.0

The X.0 will be replaced with:

11.0 is for Office 2003

12.0 is for Office 2007

14.0 is for Office 2010

The hard part about doing this with a script is knowing which is the LATEST version installed on a particular machine, and only removing the keys that are older than that.  We have clients using each of the versions, sometimes all within the same location.  Anyone good enough with Kaseya procedures to do that?

• I have a client who is going through a Microsoft audit.  This is exactly the problem, when old keys remain, you end up with license counts that are larger then the number of physical machines.

Does anyone know of a way to report only the LATEST version of Office, or at least how to run a software report BY MACHINE, so you can manually go through and count each version?  (yuck, automation is supposed to be less work, not more!)

• So I broke out part of the VBscript that I use to figure out the most recent version of Office installed on a system.

' Create Variables

dim OutlookVer

' Set Variables

strValueName = "OutlookSecureTempFolder"

' Create Objects

set outlook = createobject("outlook.application")

' Find Outlook Version

OutlookVer = Split(outlook.version,".")

wscript.echo OutlookVer(0)

'Cleanup

set outlook = nothing

• Yes, jputman is correct. The best way to get the Office version is to ask Office itself and not the registry. However, there are some caveats. Below is a slightly more robust way to do the same thing. Basically, we need to check if a user already has an instance of Word (or whatever application) opened. If it is, just use theirs. If not, create one and close it after we're done.

On Error Resume Next

Set objWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application")

If Err Then

Err.Clear

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application")

WScript.Echo objWord.Version

objWord.Quit

Else

WScript.Echo objWord.Version

End If

[edited by: SMason at 11:23 PM (GMT -7) on 5-15-2012] Removed code tags.
  • And here are the marketing names for the respective version numbers:

14.0 = 2010

12.0 = 2007

11.0 = 2003

10.0 = XP

9.0 = 2000

This list can easily be converted into a select case or something. The next step would be fishing out the edition (standard, enterprise, etc.) and license key. Those should be simple enough to find now that we know what major version we are looking for.