Kaseya Community

New Training Environment for Kaseya 6.3

• I'm going to tell anyone who cares to listen about the terrible time I had with the 6.3 online testing lab. I didn't have any of these problems messing around in the regular sessions or watching Wilki during the webinars. When it came time to the hands-on part of the test, all the troubles began.

First of all, I realized I screwed up by trying to rename the unnamed organization as the FIU-username format but with the unnamed organization name still showing up but now I can't delete it or change it. So now I look like an idiot with all of my departments unnamed.cec instead of fiu-username.cec or whatever they wanted. I have had Kaseya 6.3 at work for a little over a month and started to get semi-comfortable with it and knew that there were some quirks like this one in particular, so that's fine and my fault I suppose. Then I was asked to create a user with a 'similar' role as mine (my user was a master role and scope) but made it out as if they wanted a new master user Andy Bell but only on the one workstation? For people who over-analyze on tests, like me, this was a bit confusing to me as I was unsure how to approach the rights of that user now, a master role and scope but on one workstation??

Anyway, on to the next problem. I had to use the Naming Policy to force a check-in to the respective machine groups, or something to that effect. Well, there was no machine groups to choose from. That's weird,  I thought. Maybe they meant I needed to force the agents to always use machine name instead. Moving on. The agent module wanted me to let all agents icons to show up in the system tray. That's easy, I've done this already at my job (actually I've hidden it but its the same procedure basically just unchecking the box) and applied the settings. The icon still would not show up in any of the agents machines even after applying the settings multiple times and restarting those machines. OK fine whatever, move on to next questions and modules.

Create a procedure to install Chrome on all the agents machines. OK, that's pretty simple. Well first off, I thought the new Chrome install is basically just a web installer that downloads Chrome and installs it to the machine so maybe there was an older full installer on the shared folder or something. Wrong, there's nothing in the shared folder. As in, absolutely nothing in there. Now I had to find a full install of Chrome to throw onto the shared folder. This means more time spending not answering questions and doing procedures for the test environment. At least when I was in the training environment portion, all of those files were already there and they used firefox, which has a full install as opposed to a web installer for Chrome. OK well whatever, that was finally done and now we just need to schedule it for the machines. Hmm, there is literally nothing in the right pane. The machine group view is set to All Groups or whatever so I tried my unnamed org and they still aren't showing up. So I tried to go to each group one by one, but the machines would not show up. This is starting to really get on my nerves. Any procedure I need to schedule now will not be able to be scheduled because I literally cannot apply them to the machines. Grr.

I move on to ticketing. The problem I had with ticketing is that I only had one agent I could apply the ticket to, the DC machine, and that was it. For the question, I had to actually assign it to that machine anyway but for any other machine I would have been hosed.

Ok I move on to liveconnect procedures. I need to remotely edit the registry of an agent. That is easy, I've done this as well at work. The liveconnect would never connect to the machine, not once. So any liveconnect procedures were now just FUBAR. OK fine, moving on again.

Monitoring was one I had trouble with because I had never really dealt with it much besides the from the webinar, help system and course readings/training. But I do remember being able to choose from the objects because I saw Wilki picking them from the dropdown. There is literally nothing in my drop when making a new monitor set. I checked my own Kaseya to verify that there were supposed to be at least something to choose from there, and there was. So now I can't create a monitor set because I can't pick any objects or counter or instances.

WTF is going on?? Did I just happen to take the test when everything decided to break? Did anyone else have problems like I'm having? I realized that those machine groups not showing up really screwed me on most of the entire test, so I tried to do what I could but I was pretty livid by the end of the test because now my boss is going to be angry at me for failing this and would have to pay for another shot at just being certified (which if it's using the same test environment, I will pass). I already can't stand having to screenshot all the steps and results, renaming the image files to conform to the standards and then zip them up to submit them. There has got to be a better way than this, isn't there? I'm not trying to be difficult and I'm not really sure who to talk to about this, I just thought maybe I would share my tale and see if anyone else had problems and/or has suggestions for me and to the Kaseya training team.

• When i took the certification 2 years ago I didn't have any of these problems. Dr. Sadaji  was really helpful with any issues I had and was usually quick to respond to emails, have you tried to reach out to him about these issues?

• When I did mine in 2011 I had loads of problems around connectivity mostly caused by live connect and the plugin crashing and at one point somebody else that was doing the test managed to take over my agents using the naming policies.

I found Dr. Sadjadi was very understanding and if you can provide proof of any problems that prevented you from completing the practical I'm sure they will give you another attempt.

[edited by: HardKnoX at 4:04 PM (GMT -7) on May 21, 2013] typo
  • Dear Matt and HardKnoX: Thanks much for the kind words.

Dear beans462: I am extremely sorry for the really bad experience that you had while taking the test. I would be more than happy to go through all the issues that you mentioned. Note that you can always reach out to me on Skype (sadjadis), if you need a quick answer, or send me emails directly (sadjadi@cs.fiu.edu). I am going to read through your comments and respond to them shortly.

Once again, I apologize for any inconveniences that you the issues you faced might have caused to you and would be more than happy to compensate in anyway I can. Please get in touch with me and I will make sure that the issue will be resolved ASAP.

Sincerely,

Masoud

• > I'm going to tell anyone who cares to listen about the terrible time I had with

> the 6.3 online testing lab. I didn't have any of these problems messing around

> in the regular sessions or watching Wilki during the webinars. When it came time

> to the hands-on part of the test, all the troubles began.

Sorry about the experience! With all the issues that you faced, you still managed to get an impressive grade of 80.1%. So, this means that I have to take your comments VERY seriously, as you have already proved to me that you are an expert. Also, I certainly appreciate the time that you put on writing your feedback in such great detail! :)

> First of all, I realized I screwed up by trying to rename the unnamed organization

> as the FIU-username format but with the unnamed organization name still showing up

> but now I can't delete it or change it. So now I look like an idiot with all of my

> departments unnamed.cec instead of fiu-username.cec or whatever they wanted.

lol, this is a good one! :) Please note that even if you try to rename unnamed, you would get this message: "You cannot change the OrgId of the protected organization: unnamed." I checked your environment, and the id of the unnamed org is still unnamed. What you changed was the Organization Name, which you could certainly rename it back. The issue was that you kept using the unnamed org as your org and created all the machine groups under that one. Anyway, I am happy that you have realized what you have done; but no big deal. We all make a mistake here or there! Yes, definitely including me too, but with a much higher probability! :)

> I have had Kaseya 6.3 at work for a little over a month and started to get

> semi-comfortable with it and knew that there were some quirks like this one in

> particular, so that's fine and my fault I suppose.

Thank you for acknowledging it! :)

> Then I was asked to create a user with a 'similar' role as mine (my user was a master

> role and scope) but made it out as if they wanted a new master user Andy Bell but only

> on the one workstation? For people who over-analyze on tests, like me, this was a bit

> confusing to me as I was unsure how to approach the rights of that user now, a master

> role and scope but on one workstation??

The point of this exercise was to see if you can create a VSA user with limited scope and role. However, your point is well taken. The question implies that the user role should be System/Master, as it says, "His user role is similar to yours." You correctly pointed out that a user with a System/Master role must have a System/Master role! I am very thankful for pointing this out. We will fix the question to avoid any confusions. Thank you! :)

> Anyway, on to the next problem. I had to use the Naming Policy to force a check-in to

> the respective machine groups, or something to that effect. Well, there was no machine

> groups to choose from. That's weird,  I thought. Maybe they meant I needed to force the

> agents to always use machine name instead.

Well, when I checked System > Naming Policy under your account, I saw the following ones, including the machine groups that you created under the unnamed org: myOrg.base, unnamed.cec-ct, unnamed.gl-ct, unnamed.mr-ct, unnamed.root, and unnamed.scis-ct. So, I am really not sure what you mean when you wrote: "there was no machine groups to choose from"

> Moving on. The agent module wanted me to let all agents icons to show up in the system tray.

> That's easy, I've done this already at my job (actually I've hidden it but its the same

> procedure basically just unchecking the box) and applied the settings. The icon still would

> not show up in any of the agents machines even after applying the settings multiple times

> and restarting those machines. OK fine whatever, move on to next questions and modules.

I bet you did not take the time to go through the lab exercises. If you review the Agent Deployment slides (users.cis.fiu.edu/.../Agents-63.pptx), here is what slide 51 includes:

"Note: The agent icon was not shown in the system tray when connecting to a computer remotely, using, for example, an RDP client. To fix this Run “regedit.exe” on the remote machine and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ and look for a key with its name starting with “KAS…” and value similar to “C:\Program Files\Kaseya\...\KaUsrTsk.exe”.

Double click on this key and add “ –remote” to the end of the value data for this key, outside the double quotes for the “KaUsrTsk.exe” command. Log off and log back in. You will see the icon."

This is an issue when you remotely login to a machine. I hope that this explains the issue that you were facing.

> Create a procedure to install Chrome on all the agents machines. OK, that's pretty simple.

> Well first off, I thought the new Chrome install is basically just a web installer that

> downloads Chrome and installs it to the machine so maybe there was an older full installer

> on the shared folder or something. Wrong, there's nothing in the shared folder. As in,

> absolutely nothing in there.

Well, your test environment was provisioned for you right when you started the test and the partition was supposed to be completely brand new. That is why there was nothing in the shared folder for you to use.

> Now I had to find a full install of Chrome to throw onto the shared folder. This means

> more time spending not answering questions and doing procedures

> for the test environment.

I certainly agree that this process was time consuming. The point of this task was to make sure if you know how to deploy an application, not wasting time finding the installer. I agree with your point here and will revise the question so that finding the installer would not be that difficult. Maybe a hint on where to download the installer would help. Again, thanks much for the feedback on this.

> At least when I was in the training environment portion, all of

> those files were already there and they used firefox, which has a full install as opposed

> to a web installer for Chrome.

You probably were using our old 6.2 server which had some of the files handy in the shared folder. We have retired that old system and everything is now on SaaS, being provisioned from scratch. I agree with your point and will make sure that a hint on where to download the necessary files will be included in the questions.

> OK well whatever, that was finally done and now we just

> need to schedule it for the machines. Hmm, there is literally nothing in the right pane.

> The machine group view is set to All Groups or whatever so I tried my unnamed org and

> they still aren't showing up. So I tried to go to each group one by one, but the machines

> would not show up. This is starting to really get on my nerves. Any procedure I need to

> schedule now will not be able to be scheduled because I literally cannot apply them to

> the machines. Grr.

Well, what can I say, there are times that the VSA just don't like us! Yup, I have had such bad lucks many times in my experience with my beloved KServers in the past. Jokes aside, really I cannot do anything for this type of issues. This is when you create a support ticket and get in touch with Kaseya to fix the issue. Of course, I understand that you cannot do this in the middle of the test. That is why in the notes before the test, I included the following:

"Sometime KServer can be buggy or sluggish. In such cases, please find an alternative way to get the job done and leave a note in a text file to explain why you choose the alternative approach. Remember that your time is limited and you cannot wait for too long. For example, if you were explicitly asked to use Domain Watch and/or LAN Watch to deploy an agent to a machine, and KServer was taking too long to perform the Domain or LAN Watch, you could safely choose an alternative approach (e.g., deploy the agent manually), but you would need to leave some notes accompanied by some related screenshots to explain why you chose the alternative approach."

> I move on to ticketing. The problem I had with ticketing is that I only had one agent I

> could apply the ticket to, the DC machine, and that was it. For the question, I had to

> actually assign it to that machine anyway but for any other machine I would have been hosed.

Again, I am really not sure why you could not see your agents. Maybe it had something to do with the try for renaming the unnamed machine group?!!! I cannot really tell as I was able to see your agents without any issues! :(

> Ok I move on to liveconnect procedures. I need to remotely edit the registry of an agent.

> That is easy, I've done this as well at work. The liveconnect would never connect to the

> machine, not once. So any liveconnect procedures were now just FUBAR. OK fine, moving on again.

Sorry about that, but I would change my browser to IE, if not already the case, but this was not the case when I used Live Connect with your machines! I really need to get on Skype or GoToMeeting with you to see why this was happening to you. I could not recreate this situation! :(

> Monitoring was one I had trouble with because I had never really dealt with it much besides

> the from the webinar, help system and course readings/training. But I do remember being able

> to choose from the objects because I saw Wilki picking them from the dropdown. There is

> literally nothing in my drop when making a new monitor set. I checked my own Kaseya to verify

> that there were supposed to be at least something to choose from there, and there was. So now

> I can't create a monitor set because I can't pick any objects or counter or instances.

Again, this tells me that you skipped the slides and lab exercises! ;) If you take a quick look at the Monitor Slides (users.cis.fiu.edu/.../Monitor-63.pptx), on Slide 103, it says: "Run Update Lists by Scan on all your machines to make sure that lists of counter objects, counters, instances, services, event types available for monitoring are updated in your VSA."

> WTF is going on?? Did I just happen to take the test when everything decided to break? Did

> anyone else have problems like I'm having?

Well, I would have been this angry, if I were facing all the issues that you faced! I hope that with the above explanations you would be less unhappy by now! ;) But yeah, I am very sorry that you were facing all those issues.

> I realized that those machine groups not showing up really screwed me on most of the entire

> test, so I tried to do what I could but I was pretty livid by the end of the test because

> now my boss is going to be angry at me for failing this and would have to pay for another

> shot at just being certified (which if it's using the same test environment, I will pass).

Honestly, there has only been one person who had to pay for a retake so far and we have close to 600 KCAs. Well, with your performance on the test, you would never get an email from me telling you that you failed. My approach is to figure out what went wrong, especially if I see that you have fully developed both the Agent Procedures questions. Not being able to do the Live Connect part is no big deal. You have already proved to be an expert on Kaseya; so, you would never have gotten an email that you have failed! ;)

> I already can't stand having to screenshot all the steps and results, renaming the image files

> to conform to the standards and then zip them up to submit them. There has got to be a better

> way than this, isn't there? I'm not trying to be difficult and I'm not really sure who to talk

> to about this, I just thought maybe I would share my tale and see if anyone else had problems

> and/or has suggestions for me and to the Kaseya training team.

I agree. In the past, I tried to go through the actual environment and check the log files, etc., but guess what? Grading would take much longer that the actual test! lol Yup, that is why I came up with the screenshot solution and the numbering is just helpful on going through them quickly from my side and for you to make sure that you have not missed anything. In any case, I would love to here what would be a better choice. If anyone has any suggestions on this, I would love to here about it. As always, all your comments and feedback are highly appreciated! :)

Sincerely,

Masoud

• Well as you guys suggested, Dr. Sadjadi helped me out a tremendous amount even though he could not recreate the scenarios I was having. I was given the opportunity to retake the test and gain my certification. Thank you to Dr. Sadjadi for his prompt response and excellent service. I really enjoy Kaseya very much and didn't mean to bash the test environment, I was just frustrated at all the problems I was having in my test environment. Thanks to everyone here for their help and great support from Dr. Sadjadi and Kaseya.

[edited by: beans462 at 7:17 AM (GMT -7) on May 22, 2013] edit for spelling.
  • Dear beans462: Working with you was an absolute delight for me and my team. We learned from your comments and will make sure to address the issues that you pointed out as soon as possible. Also, I am very thankful that you gave us a second chance and did not give up on us!

Those of you who may need a quick turnaround on questions that you may have, please do feel free to contact me directly at sadjadi@cs.fiu.edu or ping me on Skype (sadjadis). It is only with your comments that we can learn about our mistakes; otherwise, we will not be able to improve our program. So, your comments and feedback are highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Masoud

• I think the guys at Kaseya Support could learn lots from Dr. Sadjadi (5 Stars from me)

• Is there any more training for Kaseya? I noticed it said Kaseya Core VSA Administration. I wondered if there was more or different training on Kaseya's modules or applications into businesses?

• Dear HarKnoX,

Many thanks for your kind words! :) Many of the people at Kaseya support have been my former students who went through internship at Kaseya and then were hired as part of the support team at Kaseya. I have to confess that without their dedication and support, I cannot do much. So, it is really a team work. Most importantly, your encouraging words keeps up going! :) Thank you!

Cheers!

Masoud

• Dear Brian,

Yes, at this point we have Kaseya Service Desk Workshop, both Instruction-Led and Self-Paced. The instruction-led is a 2-day workshop, as opposed to 5-day Fundamentals workshop. So, the content is roughly one third of Fundamentals.

More training will be available soon and will be announced by Kaseya. Please get in touch with your Kaseya Account Manager to answer any other questions that you may have.

Sincerely,

Masoud

• Hi,

I am waiting for some new training material based on v6.3,  and as Dr. Masoud Sadjadi pointed out,  they are working very hard on this.

So I am looking forward to get more training and more certification paths.  I am specially interested in Service Desk certification.

BTW : I had some issues with network performance when taking the hands-on exam,  but like everyone knows,  this issues could be caused by the internet......  

Thanks to Dr. Masoud Sadjadi for his expertise and on-hands help !!

• Dear Sloeber70,

Thanks much for the kind words! :)

Please note that at this moment, we do have Fundamentals v6.3 and Service Desk v1.3 (soon will be upgraded to v1.4 for free for those taking v1.3). The newer versions (6.3 and 1.4) do not warrant a new certificate and there is no need for a cert retake exam. If you ar holding a certificate for Fundamentals v6.2 and SD v1.3, they are still valid for the newer versions.

About the Internet delay issues, our recommendation at the moment is to bring down the resolution and color depth of the RDP connections and if you still need more time, you can simply extend the time of your test. Alternatively, you can choose to perform the hands-on tasks on your local test KServer and local test machines. Note that If you choose the latter option, you are responsible for any issues that may raise in your production environment.

Sincerely,

Masoud