Kaseya Community

Stop mail notification for uninterested topics

• Moved this to a specific Community Feedback forum....  :)

• Yea so I turned off all notification settings and have been getting flooded with emails for the last hour. ARRGGHHHH. Worst forum ever.

• To turn off notifications on existing forums, you need to go to that forum and click the button on the right that says Email unsubscribe from this forum.   

The button should look like this:  

IF you unsubscribe from the forums now, you will no longer be flooded with emails and instead ONLY receive notifications on threads or discussions you have participated on.

Global settings have been changed to prevent the backlog of floods that you have all been receiving. 

We were using one of our Google Apps accounts to do the emailing from this community and it turns out that Google didn't want to send all the emails our community server was trying to send, so a long queue of retries built up.  Google Apps max = 800 email per day.    I attempted to clear the retries, but because of the system speed I know that some slipped through.  We have changed this setting and routed emails through our own smtp server to minimize the queuing.  

While I don't agree with "Worst forum ever" I will say "Worst learning curve ever" in regards to this forum's email functions and gmail.

I do apologize for these inconveniences, please bear with us.

• Brendan Cosgrove

To turn off notifications on existing forums, you need to go to that forum and click the button on the right that says Email unsubscribe from this forum.   

The button should look like this:  

IF you unsubscribe from the forums now, you will no longer be flooded with emails and instead ONLY receive notifications on threads or discussions you have participated on.

Global settings have been changed to prevent the backlog of floods that you have all been receiving. 

We were using one of our Google Apps accounts to do the emailing from this community and it turns out that Google didn't want to send all the emails our community server was trying to send, so a long queue of retries built up.  Google Apps max = 800 email per day.    I attempted to clear the retries, but because of the system speed I know that some slipped through.  We have changed this setting and routed emails through our own smtp server to minimize the queuing.  

While I don't agree with "Worst forum ever" I will say "Worst learning curve ever" in regards to this forum's email functions and gmail.

I do apologize for these inconveniences, please bear with us.

Joy!  Thanks Brendan.  That worked like a charm.  I'm now unsubscribed from all forums and resubscribed to the specific threads I'm listening for. 

I still have a few feature requests for the new community portal, but nothing but constructive criticiscm.  I'm actually pretty happy with the way it's working for the most part now.

[edited by: cashmanifesto at 2:04 PM (GMT -7) on 9-27-2010] spelling error
  • I also added a control feature to manage your subscriptions and mark all forums/threads read with a simple click.

If you start here: http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/default.aspx

You should see a box like this about halfway down:

• Brendan (or anyone else),

Can you post a screenshot of what my profile settings should look like to just get emails for threads I am participating in?  Or is that impossible?

I have tried about every combination and I can only do all or none.  It's maddening.  I want to know when someone comments in a thread I'm participating in, and that's it.

Thanks!

• jasonrdavis

Brendan (or anyone else),

Can you post a screenshot of what my profile settings should look like to just get emails for threads I am participating in?  Or is that impossible?

I have tried about every combination and I can only do all or none.  It's maddening.  I want to know when someone comments in a thread I'm participating in, and that's it.

Thanks!

As Brendan mentioned when he added the feature. It starts with navigating to the Forums Tab on the Forums Page.  In the right column of the portal, down a good bit, you'll find this:

Once you click "Manage Subscriptions", you will see this.  Make sure they are all set to "No".  (Except ones you want to follow, but I recommend starting with all "No" until you know you have them all blocked out.)

In addition, even if you at one time particpated in a thread, you can still remove the notification option by navigating to that particular thread, and looking for this in the right column.

It will give you all of the features you need to manage your participation level on a thread-by-thread granularity level.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
    Chris C.

[edited by: cashmanifesto at 9:11 AM (GMT -8) on 12-2-2010] Debug: Added Close Paren
  • I think our friend cashmanifesto nailed it.  Thanks Chris!  

@Jasonrdavis - if you have any other questions or are having problems getting this dialed in, let me know.

• Actually here is one other way you can follow just your discussions....

• Alright I made those changes, thanks for the help.

• I don't even see where the Manage Subscriptions link is.

• I have re-enabled the link to manage subscriptions. Can you open a discussion thread and see it on the right sidebar?

Let me know if this helped.