Kaseya Community

Resources

Resources
The place to find product documentation, user guides, video demos, and scripts/procedures shared within the community

___

OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client

Summary

This procedure is an enhanced version of what is provided by OpenDNS.  It provides the following:

• Automated deployment of OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client
  • Automated verification of the installation
  • Automated routine auditing of the software
  • Visual status of OpenDNS Umbrella within Kaseya
  • Ability to create monitoring alerts based on error conditions

Installation

1. Go to “System > Customize > Site Customization”
2. Click on the “Org Custom Field Title” tab
3. Create the following two fields (click on blank row and click “Edit”)
     • UmbrellaOrgID
     • UmbrellaFingerprint
4. Go to “Audit > View Machine > Machine Summary”
5. Create the following two fields (click on the “+ New Custom Field” tab)
     • Umbrella (String)
     • Umbrella Refresh (Date)
6. On your Kaseya Server (not SQL server/ if separate), copy the following to files from the zip archive to “C:\Kaseya\xml\Procedures\AgentProcSQL\0\SQLRead” (DO NOT RENAME OR EDIT THESE FILES)
     • UmbrellaFingerprint.xml
     • UmbrellaOrgID.xml
7. Go to “Agent Procedures > Manage Procedures > Schedule / Create” and click “Import Folder/Procedure”
8. Upload the file “Procedure Folder OpenDNS.xml”
9. Select the procedure “OpenDNS\OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client” and click “Edit Procedure”
10. Edit the following field (REQUIRED)
     • (LINE 6) global:USER_ID (default = 00000) should be set to your OpenDNS User ID found in the OpenDNS Dashboard
11. Go to “System > Orgs/Groups/Depts/Staff > Manage”
12. Select your first customer, then click on the “Custom Fields” tab
13. Edit the two fields below (highlight, then click on Edit)
     • UmbrellaOrgID (enter the clients ‘Organization ID’ found in the OpenDNS Dashboard)
     • UmbrellaFingerprint (enter the clients ‘Fingerprint’ found in the OpenDNS Dashboard)
14. Go to “Agent Procedures > Manage Procedures > Schedule / Create” and run the procedure to deploy the OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client

Visual Status Note

Please have your techs. perform the following steps in order to view the Umbrella Roaming Client status within Kaseya

1. Go to “Agent > Machine Status > Agent Status”
2. Click on “Select Columns…”
3. Add the following columns and position as desired:
    • Umbrella
    • Umbrella Refresh

OpenDNS Dashboard Note

Your personal User ID as well as your clients Organization ID and Fingerprint can be obtained from the OpenDNS Dashboard.

1. Login to OpenDNS Dashboard
2. Click “Roaming Client > Deploy”

Please also note that the Organizational ID is unique to each client. However, the Fingerprint is unique to the client AND YOUR USER ID. This means that if you have multiple techs with OpenDNS logins, you should only use one OpenDNS login for managing this information.

Agent Procedure Change Log

• v1.2: Modified to download the MSI file over the internet instead of requiring a zip in Kaseya
  • v1.3: Modified procedure to acquire OrgID and Fingerprint from Orgs "Custom Fields"
  • v1.4: Modified procedure to perform self ongoing monitoring of the Umbrella Roaming Client
  • v1.5: Formatting of procedure cleaned up, variables moved to the top of procedure most log text also moved into variables
  • v1.6: Added switch in installer that will prevent OpenDNS from being listed in Add-Remove Programs, removed change log from procedure due to character limits

Damian Stalls
Sr. Network Engineer

Comments
  • OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client

What if Umbrella is already installed but we want these custom fields updated? Will running the script on a machine with Umbrella already installed cause an issue or will it simply update the custom fields?

It should not create an issue.  You will need to complete the full setup as described above, and then run the procedure.  It will see Umbrella is already installed, perform the audit and reschedule 10 days later to continue auditing.

When I run this produce I get a failure on step 43, line 73. This is related to this line: updateSystemInfo(" ", "#global:Today#", "All Operating Systems", "Halt on Fail") I am running VSA6.5.0.15. Not sure what is causing the issue.

I am getting a failure on step 42, Get Variable, with error Script variable is undefined. It must be defined by a GetVariable step earlier in this script or a parent script. (Line 72)

All,

Apologies for the late response from our end.  

I sent you a private message - would like to go through the trouble you're having and see if we can get that resolved.  

I'm unable to send you a private message, but could you send me one and let's see if we can get your error worked out if you have not already?

Thanks,

Jason Phelps

Technical Account Manager, MSP

OpenDNS

Thanks for the info.  I'm trying this and getting an error "Error importing script "OpenDNS Umbrella Roaming Client - v1.6": Construct is not supported for non-system scripts." while trying to import the procedure. We are using the hosted solution, not an in-house Kaseya server.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

-

Hi Jennifer,

Kaseya Support tells me that because of the sqlRead() and sqlWrite() steps, this script can't be used within the Kaseya SAAS environment. This is because multiple account use the database and opening up access could cause other potential problems.

I'm working to find a possible way to do similar functionality.  If you are looking for just a simple deployment script, we have one available on our GitHub.

Thank you,

Jason Phelps

OpenDNS

Damian,

Wanted to let you know that and I worked through the script today and found that Line 72 in the script was acting up and preventing it from continuing.  Simply disabling Lines 71-73 allowed the script to run and install properly.  We are currently debugging further to figure out what is causing it to fail.

Thanks,

Jason Phelps

OpenDNS

Line 71 won't break anything.  However lines 72 & 73 crash if you have not completed the steps under "Visual Status Note" listed above.

We got this entry - Loopback ERR - in the Umbrella field after the script was run against a Windows 7 pc in one of our Kaseya orgs.

I ran it against two machines that already had the client installed and it worked with "Verified!" and the date of the next audit.

Do you know what would cause the Loopback ERR?

Thanks!

Shelly

Ooops... the tech just told me that it might be because he has his VPN connected too. That's why he got the Loopback ERR.

I installed this on two laptops a while ago, worked fine, now all I get is Loopback ERR

It seems like OpenDNS changed their diagnostic logs and this script may not work properly anymore?