Kaseya Community

Resources

Resources
The place to find product documentation, user guides, video demos, and scripts/procedures shared within the community

___

Procedure to enable Wake on Lan (WOL) on all adapters

If you are like me, you are loving the ability to wake up PCs after-hours and do work, schedule procedures to run in the middle of the night, tell users to leave their PCs on and just let them go into sleep mode, etc.

But, if you are like me, you have found that a lot of the systems don't have WoL enabled, and the scripts are piling up and running in the morning when the users come in.  Then they complain because their computer is always slow in the morning, particularly on Monday mornings.  No fun.  Since the setting is a registry entry which is different on every computer, it isn't a change that can be made on every computer easily.

So, the solution:

A (very) simple little VBScript / Kaseya Agent procedure that will enable WoL on every adapter.  Works with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

On my system, i ran it on every non-server machine i manage, then created a policy to run it on every non-server PC one time (consequently, when the agent is deployed).

And, life is good again  ;)

-Be careful when running this script on laptops... it does not discriminate and enables WoL on every adapter, regardless of PC type, etc... on a laptop, this can significantly reduce battery life when in sleep mode.  Use your own discretion as to how to filter this from running on laptops...

Hope this helps someone else out as much as it did me!

Comments
  • Procedure to enable Wake on Lan (WOL) on all adapters

Hey Rick!

You have done the work for a little tiny AMAZING PROCEDURE AND VBS-SCRIPT! THANK YOU!

We have discussed these problems at our german technical training but the solution is since 18th of january online and we don't see it ... great work!

Kai.

Curious, does this actually enable the tick on the Power Management tab of the adapter that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"?

Yes, if the adapter supports it...

Hi Rick,

This is a nice solution. Do you have also a disable WOL procedure? I tried to copy and edit the procedure, but it does not disable WOL.

31 If StrComp(strDevInstanceName, strNetworkAdapterID)=0 Then

32                                     objPowerWakeEnable.Enable = False

I changed True in False.

Regards,

Alex

Is there an update to this script which would make it ready to use even today?