Kaseya Community

Adobe Reader X (Windows) - Install or Update - Read Description, for Kaseya 6.0.1+ only!

This is a new type of application update procedure I've created to allow for a few important features:

•    Automatically leverage Patch Management File Source configuration for application deployment
    •    Deploy new versions of an application without having to change the procedure -- just run it again
    •    Allow for quick modification to deploy new applications by just editing a few lines

Be sure you're using Kaseya 6.0.1 which now supports 'global' variables -- check for this under System --> Configure, you should see your version number at the top. If you need 6.0.1, just contact support.

To import the procedure, just extract the XML and import it with the Agent Procedures -> Import button, clicking either a private or public folder first which the procedure will reside.

As soon as you import, as mentioned in the description of the procedure, be sure edit the procedure and change the two 'Schedule Procedure' steps at the bottom to reference this specific procedure itself.

If you have systems setup to use the Kaseya server as the file source (usually not the case), you should download the application's EXE to the public files folder of your Kaseya server. You can easily upload it with the Agent Procedures -> Manage Files button.

In the case of Adobe Reader, the actual URL we'll be using will be located at http://files.kaseya.com/sftp/appupdates/readerX/readerX-url.txt -- this text file contains the URL of the file you need to grab.

You will see 'readeXr' is a variable in the procedure -- this allows us to quickly change the variable to match a common file and folder structure on our site so myself or other Kaseyans can update these variables to pull down the latest version of an application, negating the need to import a new procedure every time. Ideally, you could schedule this procedure to run regularly to keep Adobe Reader up to date.

Be sure to check the Agent Procedure log as you are testing out this procedure, as I did my best to log down exactly what is happening with the procedure for troubleshooting purposes. You can also use the procedure log to enhance your Executive Summary to show how many times the application has been updated, or to view the results of a large number of systems with a Log -> Agent Procedure log report.

Comments welcome :)

Benjamin Lavalley, Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Kaseya

Comments
  • Adobe Reader X (Windows) - Install or Update - Read Description, for Kaseya 6.0.1+ only!

Currently giving this a try. Working with Ben on this one. Although I think the tweets should stop so we can do this publicly and help anyone else that is trying it out. =)

• Adobe Reader X (Windows) - Install or Update - Read Description, for Kaseya 6.0.1+ only!

Yes my version is the latest.

Version Number: 6.0.1.0

How can I check if my server is set as "Kaseya server as the file source"?

Thanks.

Patch Management --> File Source. This procedure will use that configuration.

It's configured for "the internet".

So other than the "Schedule Procedure" do I have to make another change? It won't let me save....

I guess my question is. What am I suppose to do about this flash player error?

VSASharedFiles\install_flash_player.exe

That is a reference to a incorrect old file. You need to upload the Adobe X installer to your server, then update that step to reference it.

Ben- thanks for updating the procedure for Adobe Reader X.  This will certainly help since we don't need to wait for the modified procedure for 9.4.1 that contains .msp support to fix those security bugs that I'm sure are being taken advantage of.  But .msp support is still needed since Adobe will release out-of-cycle critical patches in that format w/o a full installer.

When I get the time I will make an MSP upgrader for 9.4->9.4.1. I've done it before last year to actually deploy multiple MSP files.

We use Ninite to update these initiated via an agent procedure.  We've built some intelligence around it to pull from the client's LAN location or go out to the Internet, and we have some reporting we use to scoop up failures based on a specific script log entry.  I'm happy to share these scripts on the forums.  It sure beats the heck out of the manual headache of updating these each time updates come out.

This procedure, if run consistently, will allow you to update new Adobe Reader versions as they are released.

The only change you might have to make will be putting a new Adobe Reader EXE on your Kserver (can't automate that) but only if your agents are set to pull from the system (aka Kaseya) server.

If you look at closely, the variables for the download URL, file name, expected version, etc -- all come from a Kaseya server that I will update as new versions come out. No need to make a new procedure.

Adobe uses a different registry key to display version number for Reader X, otherwise my 9.x procedure would have updated to X just fine :)

I'm going to update the procedure framework to account for MSP incremental upgrades if they are necessary to update Adobe to the latest version. Once I have that done I'll post it here -- I will do this first for the 9.x series, and then make the changes to the Reader X procedure.

Hi Ben,

Would you be able to change the installer switch to include the switch accepting the EULA, the installswitches.txt file on the Kaseya server does not currently have it.  I have tested this command line recommended by someone in the Adobe forum and it works.

/sAll /msi /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES

Thanks

DONE. Switches updated, and you can just run the procedure again to get the update.

Hi,

When I ran this script it failed on 9-3-1-1, it didn't make sense to me but after a little digging there was an issue with the "dirlist"-file.

Mine looked like this:

2010-12-04  13:26        36ÿ791ÿ704 AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe

1 File(s)     36ÿ791ÿ704 bytes

0 Dir(s)  76ÿ114ÿ976ÿ768 bytes free

It should be 36,791,704 as stated in the files.kaseya.com/.../appupdates and here is where it fails since the script can't read 36,791,704 from the dirlist-file.

I made a workaround by editing the dirlist-file manually but that does not solve the problem in the long run.

This is the line that makes the dirlist-file:

dir "#vagentconfiguration.agenttempdir#\#filename#" >> "#vagentconfiguration.agenttempdir#\dirlist-#appname#.txt"

I ran the script on a english Win 7 with swedish keybord layout, can this be the issue, or does any one have any pointers?

Regards

Eric

Eric, I'll have to figure out a solution. Thanks for posting up the detail. I think I have to update the script to somehow do a search for the numbers without any additional characters, parsing out the dirlist TXT file and removing the commas, white space, etc.