Kaseya Community

Resources

Resources
The place to find product documentation, user guides, video demos, and scripts/procedures shared within the community

___

Adobe Reader 9.4 - Kaseya 6.0.1 Only - Read Description!

This is a new type of application update procedure I've created to allow for a few important features:

•    Automatically leverage Patch Management File Source configuration for application deployment
    •    Deploy new versions of an application without having to change the procedure -- just run it again
    •    Allow for quick modification to deploy new applications by just editing a few lines

Be sure you're using Kaseya 6.0.1 which now supports 'global' variables -- check for this under System --> Configure, you should see your version number at the top. If you need 6.0.1, just contact support.

To import the procedure, just extract the XML and import it with the Agent Procedures -> Import button, clicking either a private or public folder first which the procedure will reside.

As soon as you import, as mentioned in the description of the procedure, be sure edit the procedure and change the two 'Schedule Procedure' steps at the bottom to reference this specific procedure itself.

If you have systems setup to use the Kaseya server as the file source (usually not the case), you should download the application's EXE to the public files folder of your Kaseya server. You can easily upload it with the Agent Procedures -> Manage Files button.

In the case of Adobe Reader, the actual URL we'll be using will be located at http://files.kaseya.com/sftp/appupdates/reader/reader-url.txt -- this text file contains the URL of the file you need to grab.

You will see 'reader' is a variable in the procedure -- this allows us to quickly change the variable to match a common file and folder structure on our site so myself or other Kaseyans can update these variables to pull down the latest version of an application, negating the need to import a new procedure every time. Ideally, you could schedule this procedure to run regularly to keep Adobe Reader up to date.

Be sure to check the Agent Procedure log as you are testing out this procedure, as I did my best to log down exactly what is happening with the procedure for troubleshooting purposes. You can also use the procedure log to enhance your Executive Summary to show how many times the application has been updated, or to view the results of a large number of systems with a Log -> Agent Procedure log report.

Be sure to post any feedback -- I'm looking forward to seeing how this is received :)

Benjamin Lavalley, Sr. Product Marketing Manager, Kaseya

Comments
  • Adobe Reader 9.4 - Kaseya 6.0.1 Only - Read Description!

Nice scripts Benjamin.

Will Kaseya only be hosting the English version or is it also possible to add the dutch (NL) version for this?

Omar

I could probably do that. Can you link me to the Dutch installer?

Hello Ben,

ftp.adobe.com/.../AdbeRdr940_nl_NL.exe

or

ftp.adobe.com/.../AdbeRdr940_nl_NL.msi

Omar

or

ardownload.adobe.com/.../AdbeRdr940_nl_NL.exe

Hi Ben,

Great Script!  I have tested this with some in-house computer and so far it works well.

Does the script cater for Adobe Reader incremental patches?  Adobe have just released 9.4.1.

So far this script has worked nicely on a lot of computers, but I am waiting to see how long it takes Kaseya to update this for v9.4.1 (and/or v10.0).

I saw the 9.4.1 patch is out but not the 9.4 installer. I am going to adapt this entire procedure framework to try and  patch Adobe to 9.4.1 and easily support future patches. Been busy lately, I'll post it up as soon as it is done though :)

Adobe will release Reader patches as MSP files only at certain points in the lifecycle.  Reader X is also out - you might want to just update to use that.

Is there an Agent Procedure for Acrobat Std/Pro versions. We are in need of a mass distrubution of updating them as well.

I've got the file imported and I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "change the two 'Schedule Procedure' steps at the bottom to reference this specific procedure itself."

I see the 2 Scheduling Procedures

1.The agent script '881837246' referenced by this step no longer exists.

2.The agent script '881837246' referenced by this step no longer exists.

Under Step options I'm not sure what to chnage it to...I trierd to change it to myProcedures - gconnors.Adobe Reader (Windows) but it said Please correct all validation errors prior to saving.   Sorry I'm really new with this.